Kaseya Community

Major issue with KES and BE 11d

• We are seeing a large memory leak on systems running KES and Backup Exec 11d. One of our engineers ran a memory usage application called memorytriage.exe and noticed that the tag ObCi climbs dramatically during backups. This causes the server to stop responding and requires a hard reset to fix. Backups are not successful because of this.

Same engineer posted this on Experts Exchange and got this response -

It seems the in the case where ObCi nonpaged allocations are not released has to do with creation of file system objects. This problem began affecting one of our servers before we put it into production. When we found out that the problem was occurring, we stopped prepping for production and let the server remain idle and the problem appeared to go away.

On a hunch, I created a scipt that copied the I386 folder to disk and deleted it every few minutes. I noted the following behavior as this was running:

- While this script was running, ObCi allocation growth increased by about 20000%
    - When the script paused on a large file, no new allocations were made until the next file was copied.
    - Deleting the files did not increase allocations

I reported this information to Grisoft. I have not heard back from them.

This is affecting more than one of our customers with large amounts of data being backed up on machines with AVG installed. We have since removed KES and the problem is gone and everything completes fine. Has anyone ran into this? I will also be sending this to Kaseya for investigation.

J

Legacy Forum Name: Major issue with KES and BE 11d,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jsammons@acropolistech.com
  • Actually this is common with most AV product and Backup products. We have an issue where Symantec AV is causing the same type of problem with Kaseya BU-DR. A change in KES settings may be all you need to get rid of the problem. What are you settings?

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: kaseya
  • What was the fix with Symantec AV & Kaseya BU-DR? I maybe experiencing the same thing and am curious to try this fix.

Thanks.

Joe

kaseya
    Actually this is common with most AV product and Backup products. We have an issue where Symantec AV is causing the same type of problem with Kaseya BU-DR. A change in KES settings may be all you need to get rid of the problem. What are you settings?

Legacy Posted By Username: edisystems
  • Same issue with me - KES and 11d. Server has a memory leak and locks up during a backup. This goes back to when I first installed the server in November. Happens about once a week, unless I reboot the server regularly. I never found an answer, but am making plans to replace 11d with BUDR. All of my other servers that have Backup Exec are older than 11d, and none of them have had a problem.

Legacy Posted By Username: peterlandau
  • One of our team members posted that. The ObCi issue has nothing to do with backup exec. It is AVG's poor programming and not releasing memory when done scanning objects. This is a major flaw in this AV product and reported not being fixed in v8.

Legacy Posted By Username: mwhite
  • We are seeing the same symptoms on servers w/ AND w/o backupexec. We have two servers running backups via NTBACKUP which are experiencing the same problem. You first notice the problem when the servers fail to respond to http requests and you receive 'connections_refused' errors on the httperr logfiles.

Legacy Posted By Username: ehobbs
  • This has been fixed in AVG8 SP1. We are working on the integration currently with AVG8 and are planning on having a release in the near future with that integration. If you need a shorter term fix, you can download the SP1 of AVG8 (but the client won't be controlled by KES).

AVG 8 SP1
    Sign into the beta program here: https://secure.grisoft.com/ww.63668?DOC=71926
    Download the beta from here: https://secure.grisoft.com/ww.70888?DOC=70888

Jeff.Keyes@kaseya.com

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes