To all, I just wanted to share some recently learned information with you guys. Symantec has made the following changes for Backup Exec 2010 for Small Business Server:

- Eliminated separate SKUs for SBS Standard Edition and SBS Premium edition, now there is just one SKU (back to the future, the way it was 2 years ago or so)
- Plus, the SKU for Backup Exec for SBS now includes an additional Remote Agent for Windows Server
- Plus, the SKU for Backup Exec for SBS now includes a license for Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR, imaging) for the Small Business Server
- Plus, the SKU for Backup Exec for SBS now includes a license for Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR, imaging) for an additional Windows Server
- New includes deduplication options
- Now includes backup support for Sharepoint, with granular recovery

About the only thing not includes is the Active Directory Agent.

Many of our clients run Microsoft Small Business Servers, and are running Backup Exec to tape or remoevable hard drive. With Symantec now including BESR for the SBS Server and an additional server, for virtually no additional money, will make it somewhat harder for me to sell our BIDR flat-rate service (using Kaseya BUDR/Acronis), as the imaging software is already included with their Symantec software now (everyone is under software maintenance with Symantec, so they will get the additional BESR software for pennies).

I will still try to sell our BIDR flat-rate service (as there are install+management benefits from the tight integration with Kaseya) this change from Symantec will just makes it somehwat harder.

Legacy Forum Name: Symantec Backup Exec 2010,
Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf