Kaseya Community

How to tell if tape is loaded in Veritas BE

• Does anybody know how to determine if there is a tape in the drive reliably via script? I have a daily Inventory job scheduled (Backup Exec 10), and it always returns a successful completion status. The job log indicates that there is no media in the drive, but the Inventory job itself is tagged successful. What I want to do is poll the drive, and if there is no tape send an alert to the client's POC.

Ideas anybody?

Thanks,

David

Legacy Forum Name: How to tell if tape is loaded in Veritas BE,
    Legacy Posted By Username: david
  • I've already written a VB script to determine the tape in the drive and report it back via the agent log. I've only tested it on BackupExec 10 so far. However, I plan on extending it to verify that the correct tape is in the drive. This requires allowing for various backup tape rotations and naming schemes to be supported. I'm trying to design something that's very flexible. If the wrong or no tape is inserted the plan is to notify the on-site person(s) and myself. This way I can "watchdog" that proper tape rotation is being followed.

I also plan on VB scripts to"watchdog" other backup methods. I currently have clients using tape, hard drive, DVD, and CD based backups.

Matt

Legacy Forum Name: Backup and Disaster Recovery,
    Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • That's exactly what I'm looking to do, would you mind sharing the VBScript?

Cheers!

David

connectex wrote:
    I've already written a VB script to determine the tape in the drive and report it back via the agent log. I've only tested it on BackupExec 10 so far. However, I plan on extending it to verify that the correct tape is in the drive. This requires allowing for various backup tape rotations and naming schemes to be supported. I'm trying to design something that's very flexible. If the wrong or no tape is inserted the plan is to notify the on-site person(s) and myself. This way I can "watchdog" that proper tape rotation is being followed.

I also plan on VB scripts to"watchdog" other backup methods. I currently have clients using tape, hard drive, DVD, and CD based backups.

Matt

Legacy Posted By Username: david
  • Consider us interested in this VBS as well... we've been having Backup Exec frustration from one thing or another across half of our client base. (On one hand, it's a good talking point when it comes to talking about a Kaseya backup migration. On the other hand, "I just paid beau coup bucks for this Backup Exec license and support contract!")

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • I have most ofmy script working now. So far the script:

1. Inventories the tape drive and gets the name of the currently inserted tape.

2. It calcuates the required tape. This is configurable and should work for most rotations I've seen.

3. Will notify one or more people via some method if the wrong or no tape is inserted in the tape drive. I'm still not exactly sure how I wantto do the notification.Theoptions I've thought of are event log entry, e-mail message, pop-up message, etc. I'm thinking of just allowing a configurable command to be executed as this would allow the most flexiblity.

I need a couple beta testers. Testersmustinstall promptly, use the script, andprovide feedback for additional development. I would like to test on several versions of Backup Exec.All active beta testers will receive a final copy of the script.

Matt

• I'd like to volunteer to be a beta tester. I have clients running BE vers. 9.1 thru current. Let me know if I'd be of help.

Legacy Posted By Username: byulke
  • I already have a few beta testers now. However, I will postan updatehere when I'm ready to sell it. The plan price is $100 per MSP or customer. You can use on as many Backup Exec installations as you wish. Any modifications will be free for the first year and after that it will be $25 (25%) for any updates. Sound fair? Note, this only support stand alone tape drives (a.k.a. no auto-loader support).

Matt

• Check Backup Media.zip
    This is just a simple script to determine if a tape is in the drive and is ready for backup. It will email the contact if there is no tape or the drive is in use. It uses a commandline app which can be obtained from here: http://www.holistech.co.uk/mt.php. The kaseya script is attached. Youwill need to1. upload mt.exe to your kaseya server, 2. copy the template script for each situation, 3. modify the contact email address in step 1 and 4. schedule it on a server with a tape drive.

By default it will check the first tape drive, but that can be changed by adding 'tape1' after mediastatus on step 4 of the Check Backup Media Step 2 script.

Legacy Posted By Username: cberger
  • I'm not sure why you have a first script whose sole purpose is to set the email address; couldn't you simply set that in the "step 2" script along with the other variable declarations (AgentTemp, servername)?

Other than that, though, this is made of much win. I especially love that someone made an 'mt' for win32 machines. Thank you for your contribution!

• Justone thing I'd like tonote about my script over this other script:

My scriptdetermines if the CORRECT tape is in the drive. When someone comes in on Tuesday, after being offbecause of a holiday,they may insertMonday's tape.It will warn them that the Monday's is the wrong tape and Tuesday's is the correct one. So it reminds them to follow the proper tape rotation. Tape rotation is configurable and supports daily, weekly, and monthly jobs.This includes runningjobs on a day of the week, date of the month, or special days like thelast Friday of the month. Therefore, you should not be requiredto change your current tape rotation ornaming scheme.

Matt

• Yes, I could have just one script, but I do this to hide the actual script from my clients.We support a number of environments which have their ownonsite engineers, use kaseya through usand have access to the scripts. I use theScript 1 as a Template that they can modify and update.Script 2 is locked and can not be viewed, just executed.

Legacy Posted By Username: cberger
  • Ahhhh! That's downright clever; I'll keep that in mind if we start moving more into the "provide scripts for platform clients" arena.

• My point is your only solving part of the problem.

Checking for a tape is good. But itignores the possiblity of thewrong tape being inserted? It's the human element that screws uptape rotations.My plan is to preventthe problems with client's staff changing the tapes in the first place. If you want a reliable tape backup you have touse right tape every time. As MSPs tape rotation is one thing we delegate back to theclient. If they screw it up, we may have no recourse when the they lose data.

Matt

• Yes, connectex, you have a point. That said, we're not currently in a situation that would lead us to spend $100 on a Kaseya script, especially since we're steadily transitioning our Kaseya-enabled clients away from tapes as it is. This may change, but at the moment a simple "tape? yes or no" is all we need.

Note that I only speak for my own organization on this; others may find your offering quite appealing, and so much the better. There's room to scale for all of us, I should hope, and there's certainly more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. It's just that your script scratches an itch that we're simply not feeling.

• Well, just one or two times thatabackupismissed or you have to fixatape rotation problemcould costs you the $100. So it's an investmentfortechnician time avoidance. I'm only charging $100 per company or MSP. So if your an MSP with ten BE servers to cover is only $10 per server. The cost is cheap when you think of the timethiswill save.

I have clients currently using external hard drive, CD-RW, DVD-RW, and DDS, DLT, and LTO tape drives. I've planned scripts, some are actually started already, to handle the rotation issues related toeach of theother backup methods too. Regardless of the technology mentioned earlier, I'm planning on getting a backup every time and eliminating "operator error".

Matt