Kaseya Community

Schedule automatic VM conversion of last nights backup

• We REALLY need the ability to:

1.schedule a backup
    2.once the backup has completed and made it to the offsite location
    3.once offsite to AUTOMATICALLY convert to ESX VM and sit there until needed (if at all).

Then when the next night comes around to delete the previously converted ESX VM machine and replace it with the newley created one.

I would LOVE to see this feature implemented!!!!!!!!

Also, this would be a great marketing piece for us to say that we always have a VM machine on standby.

Please consider this request seriously. Big Smile

Legacy Forum Name: Schedule automatic VM conversion of last nights backup,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB
  • I agree 110%. This would be very useful all the way around.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Alan M
  • Alan M
    I agree 110%. This would be very useful all the way around.

That is an awesome idea, it shouldn't be that hard to do either really.

Legacy Posted By Username: trebligb
  • +1.

There should be a way for us to do this now using scripts, etc but Im not up to the task. Wink

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Agreed , can someone from Kaseya provide the script thats run when we do a convert through the interface? or at least explain the process and the tools used?

Legacy Posted By Username: paultomlinson
  • Looks like something like this is on the 2009 roadmap.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • From The Echo manual

6. Convert an image to virtual disk

trueimagecmd /convert /filename:C:\MyBackup.tib /target_filename:C:\MyHDD.vmdk /vm_type:vmware /harddisk:1,3

This will convert images of disks 1 and 3, contained in the file C:\MyBackup.tib, to the virtual disks C:\MyHDD.vmdk and C:\MyHDD2.vmdk for using with VMware type virtual machines.

Use either SQL views or some command line stuff to grab the latest backup tib, add a /ur to stick in the correct VM drivers, run it as a post-script and you should be good to go.

Legacy Posted By Username: T2Craig
  • Do you have this scripted in a fashion you would mind sharing you kind hearted gentleman?

Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB
  • Not as yet. Sad

Legacy Posted By Username: T2Craig
  • I believe this is the TrueImageCmd.exe command syntax that runs when doing a conversion via the web interface:

"C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageServer\TrueImageCmd.exe" /convert /filename:"D:\PS_OFFSITE_BUDR\57115023\57115023\VolBackup\20090113 10.47.46\volBackup.tib" /password:eGL6Cecw /vm_type:microsoft /harddisk:1,2,3 /retry_count:4 /retry_delay:10 /target_filename:"D:\PS_OFFSITE_BUDR\57115023\57115023\VirtHardDisk\Image.vhd" /index:3 /log:"C:\agenttemp\backupConvertLog.xml"

I had to change the "image location" for the server being restored to the offsite UNC path, and turn off replication, or it would self delete.

I agree that built in support of restoring VMs on an offsite server would be an excellent feature.

Legacy Posted By Username: myArch-man
  • Convert_Iamage_To_VM.txt
    Here is an example script converting an image to VM:

Eric

Legacy Posted By Username: em04048
  • Convert_Iamage_To_VM.txt
    Here is an example of a image to VM script.

Eric

Legacy Posted By Username: em04048
  • thanks Eric

Legacy Posted By Username: paultomlinson
  • Hi there, if I am doing the offsite vmware convert if I select the latest tib which is an incremental - does it just build this vm using all the previous incrementals and full as long as they are in the same folder or does it have to be created from a full backup TIB file.

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • anyone implement this yet?

desire to share/sell?

thnx

Legacy Posted By Username: razmataz