Kaseya Community

Office 2007 SP2 shown as missing in Kaseya - Patch KB953195 failed to install

• I submitted the following text to Kaseya

==========================================
    Kaseya Support

We just installed the Kaseya agent on computer WS01.machinegroup, machine running Windows 7.

I noticed that Kaseya showed it was missing Office 2007 SP2 and verified now was a good time to install it with the client. The patch failed to install.

I cleared the failed status and connected to the computer to troubleshoot.

When I connected to the computer, I found Office 2007 SP2 was already installed, and the office apps are showing that they are fully service packed.

Kaseya still shows the patch as missing. Microsoft Update does not show the patch as missing on the machine.

How/why would Kaseya show the patch as missing, when the patch is already installed, and when Microsoft Update does not show the patch as missing?

Sadly, the response was as follows:
    Thank You for contacting Kaseya Support.

As Kaseya Development has no plans to support Win 7 systems with the v5.1-based Kaseya Win Agent, here is a Windows 7 and Kaseya v5.1-based Win agent firewall-related note from Kaseya Development as support is not provided for Win 7 systems with the v5.1-based Kaseya Win Agent:
    The Kaseya K2 v6-based Windows Agent will provide support for Windows 7. Check the following webpages periodically for further information regarding the Kaseya v6 software (which includes the Windows K2 v6 Agent) for release timeline information:

http://forum.kaseya.com - In the 'Announcements' section (Note: Kaseya Forum account required.)
    http://www.kaseya.com/company/news.aspx
    http://blog.kaseya.com

Does anyone have any idea how/why would Kaseya show the patch as missing, when the patch is already installed, and when Microsoft Update does not show the patch as missing?

Legacy Forum Name: Office 2007 SP2 shown as missing in Kaseya - Patch KB953195 failed to install,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • The only two reasons that I can think of is 1) where Kaseya "looks" for this information is incorrect, (so why only this patch leads to...) or 2)when the patch writes what ever it writes to where ever (theres 3 places off the top of my head i can think of) it is in a a different format than what Kaseya is looking for...

Bummer that Win7 wont be supported in the v5.x system even bigger bummer that the v6.x is buggier than an ant hill... I monitor one machine with Win7(64bit) and havent really had any issues with the updates. Granted since it's my machine things are a bit different...

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • I've had Kaseya detect some patches that Microsoft WU says are already installed. Upon a little digging I've found that these updates use GUID string to say whether they are installed or not.

In most of these "miss" cases, I've found that the patch actually has 2 GUIDs listed in the K popup when you click on the KB/MS article number. Searching through the .log file from the K scan I found that only 1 of the two GUIDs are actually written to the log. It sounds like a case of there being an AND argument instead of an OR agrument when the process is looking for the GUIDs.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • Ah that explains why some patches show up twice in the patch approval process...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty