Kaseya Community

Windows & Office License Validation & Kaseya

• This is really cool, however one thing I would like to also report on in this area is duplicate license keys. Is this possible?

eg. I have several clients who have just one or two OEM Office CDs floating around and have it installed on many PCs. When I go to Audit > Software Licenses and click on an agent, it shows all of the license codes and a number (with a hyperlink) next to those which are duplicated on other agents.

Thanks,

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • kroberts210
    What is the error written to the script log when it fails? Is it possible that these machines haven't finished completely writing the file to disk before the next script command starts trying to execute? I've run into this a few times. Might try adding a pause for a few seceonds between the "Write File" and the "Execute" to allow for any write and scan operations to finish. But again this is just a guess without knowing any of the errors.

I put a pause and it still fails. I took the script back to defaults and put a pause and it still fails. Any ideas by looking at the log? I will keep trying to get it but any suggestions are welcome.

8:00:39 am 25-Mar-09 Run Now - Validate Windows & Office License jjohnston
    Script Summary: Failed THEN in step 1
    8:00:39 am 25-Mar-09 Run Now - Validate Windows & Office License jjohnston
    FAILED in THEN step 1, execute script Validate Windows & Office License (ID = 91807733)
    8:00:39 am 25-Mar-09 Validate Windows & Office License jjohnston
    Script Summary: Failed THEN in step 3
    8:00:39 am 25-Mar-09 Validate Windows & Office License jjohnston
    FAILED in processing THEN step 3, Execute File, with error Spawn Failed, c:\utility\get-covered\mgadiag.exe /f c:\utility\get-covered\licenseresults.txt

Legacy Posted By Username: JonJohnston
  • wonderful script, Ben. I will deploy this immediately. keep up the great work!

Legacy Posted By Username: saybrook
  • Jon, if you use the "Distribute file" function to place the file on the machine, let it write the file, and temporarily disable the command in the script to create the file, does that make a difference?

reboot the trouble machines? ;-)

Increase the pause?

The pauses always got me past this error before, come to think of it I haven't seen it in years.

Legacy Posted By Username: kroberts210
  • [QUOTE

Increase the pause?

The pauses always got me past this error before, come to think of it I haven't seen it in years.[/QUOTE]

We have most of our clients set on a schedule to reboot.
    I went ahead and increased the pause to 30 seconds. It still occasionally fails but not like it was. This is strange as none of my other scripts that write and then execute a file have the pause and they run just fine.
    Anyways though, it is still a great script and very helpful. Already found a few clients to speak with about licensing issues.

Legacy Posted By Username: JonJohnston
  • [quote user="JonJohnston"][QUOTE

Increase the pause?

The pauses always got me past this error before, come to think of it I haven't seen it in years.[/quote]

We have most of our clients set on a schedule to reboot.
    I went ahead and increased the pause to 30 seconds. It still occasionally fails but not like it was. This is strange as none of my other scripts that write and then execute a file have the pause and they run just fine.
    Anyways though, it is still a great script and very helpful. Already found a few clients to speak with about licensing issues.[/quote]

Great news!

Being in sales I need to hear how this sort of stuff helps your bottom line. Big Smile

Chances are it is a machine-specific issue with the tool.

Try picking a machine this was failing on and run MGADIAG.EXE manually -- it should display a GUI if it works properly. Next, try running it via command line with the /f switch to see how it works.

Chances are one or both of those two things will fail and there isn't much I can do about that -- mgadiag.exe is Microsoft's utility... perhaps there is a newer version of it you could grab.

Legacy Posted By Username: Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com
  • djmundy
    This is really cool, however one thing I would like to also report on in this area is duplicate license keys. Is this possible?

eg. I have several clients who have just one or two OEM Office CDs floating around and have it installed on many PCs. When I go to Audit > Software Licenses and click on an agent, it shows all of the license codes and a number (with a hyperlink) next to those which are duplicated on other agents.

Thanks,

I can't get into doing that - I'm only able to work within the confines of our scripting / script log / supported reporting methodology...

We can generate reports to show you machines and the licenses they use. You can look at these reports to see if multiple machines are using the same license code, perhaps exporting them to excel and doing some of your own automated parsing of the data.

• Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com
    I can't get into doing that - I'm only able to work within the confines of our scripting / script log / supported reporting methodology...

We can generate reports to show you machines and the licenses they use. You can look at these reports to see if multiple machines are using the same license code, perhaps exporting them to excel and doing some of your own automated parsing of the data.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, so I'm sorry if you have already answered my question.

But Kaseya already does do this, it's in the Audit tab. It highlights in red all machines with duplicate licenses, and provides the hyperlink I talked about. I just want a way to show it in reports.

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • kroberts210
    I modified the script a bit to generate a ticket if a blocked VLK is found.

Howdy.
    Are you using the Log Parser for that?

/Lillebror

Legacy Posted By Username: Lillebror
  • No, just an extra step in the script

Legacy Posted By Username: kroberts210
  • kroberts210
    No, just an extra step in the script

Hmm..
    Tell me Wink
    I have tried without success.
    A bit new to Kasya but I’m learning, I’m learning.

/Lillebror

Legacy Posted By Username: Lillebror
  • Ben - any update on the changes you mentioned making about adding invalid / blocked keys reported from this to the event logs? That would be extremely helpful!

Otherwise - thanks - this will be fantastic!

Legacy Posted By Username: mbearden
  • mbearden
    Ben - any update on the changes you mentioned making about adding invalid / blocked keys reported from this to the event logs? That would be extremely helpful!

Otherwise - thanks - this will be fantastic!

Not yet, haven't had the time.

• Once the script has run, how can I create a report to show this information?

Legacy Posted By Username: tmcninch
  • tmcninch
    Once the script has run, how can I create a report to show this information?

Look back in this thread. Ben posted report examples a few posts into the thread.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf