Kaseya Community

Monitor set not generating alarms & Kaseya support makes me cry :-(

• Hehehe...I'll preface this post by saying I love Kaseya and like some forum users  I think the support blows!

I have a critical issue where some of my monitor sets are within alarm range but are not generating alarms and have been like this for several days or weeks by the look of things.

We only came across this issue as Symantec Endpoint Protection update cache started chewing disk like crazy on workstations using 100% of drive but funny enough no alerts/alarms from Kaseya.

Upon looking into this further a lot more of our disk monitors are not generating alerts.

To me, this is a MASSIVE problem. Essentially our alerts are not working for some reason. A core service we sell to our customers is not happening. I would class this an critical priority to get resolved.

I've checked Liveconnect and get data no problems, data in liveconnect is in alarm range. I've checked the monitor log and alarm summary there are no alarms for the monitors that are in alarm range.

As we have no phone support from Kaseya in Australia and every time I call I'm on hold for hours, I emailed Kaseya with the problem, hit the request support button in my console so they could log in and fix the problem and emailed them two of the monitor sets so they could investigate and maybe tell me if my monitor set logic was not right. I also told them the specific machine group I knew the problem was occurring with so they could focus on that specifically.

Now I can safely say the guy who responded to my email was not the sharpest tool in the shed. This particular workstation disk monitor set that is applied to at least 300-400 but he told me he could not see it applied anywhere. The second server disk space monitor is only applied to a handful of servers but again he couldn't see that applied anywhere.

I emailed him back and told him that he was wrong and to look again. The response I got was to look in the knowledgebase. Standard answer the helpdesk seems to offer. Considering their customers are in the helpdesk business, telling them to go look in the knowledgebase for the answer is a waste of my time, their time and as a customer and is simply bad customer service. If I email the helpdesk, I need help, not the brush off.

I've tried the reapply schema and defrag dbase without success. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Dump of the workstation disk monitor:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
    <monitor_set_definition version="1.0">
    -<MonitorSet name="C: Diskspace Below 750MB (WORKSTATION)" description='Generates alarm if:&lt;br&gt;-disk space below 750MB for 90 minutes.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Trending activated for under 5GB free space'>
    -<Counters>
    <Counter name='LogicalDisk'  description='null' counterObject='LogicalDisk'  counter='Free Megabytes'  counterInstance='C:'  counterSampleInterval='1200' collectionOperator='Over'  collectionThreshold='-1' trendTimeSpan='30' trendReArm='1' thresholdOperator='Under'  thresholdAmount='750' thresholdDuration='10800' thresholdWarning='1' thresholdReArm='86400'/>
    </Counters>
    -<Services>
    </Services>
    -<Processes>
    </Processes>
    </MonitorSet>
    </monitor_set_definition>

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor set not generating alarms &amp; Kaseya support makes me cry :-(,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tbone2345

[edited by: Brendan Cosgrove at 5:15 PM (GMT -8) on 12-20-2010] .
  • tbone2345
    This particular workstation disk monitor set that is applied to at least 300-400 but he told me he could not see it applied anywhere...

I emailed him back and told him that he was wrong and to look again.

I understand the frustration of working with Kaseya support on critical issues, but try to understand where these are approaching your server from. They've never seen your monitor sets, your conventions, etc. They come into the server without any familiarity with it. It's easy to look around and not see which event set or monitoring set a person is talking about (this happens in house with us between different techs!). When you e-mail them back, don't just say, "you're wrong, look again". Give some examples of a few agents that the set is applied to.

Who knows? This might be an indicator of the problem. Maybe the tech just ripped into the database and doesn't see the set applied, in which case your VSA wouldn't know to generate alerts for it.

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • arobar
    I understand the frustration of working with Kaseya support on critical issues, but try to understand where these are approaching your server from. They've never seen your monitor sets, your conventions, etc. They come into the server without any familiarity with it. It's easy to look around and not see which event set or monitoring set a person is talking about (this happens in house with us between different techs!). When you e-mail them back, don't just say, "you're wrong, look again". Give some examples of a few agents that the set is applied to.

Who knows? This might be an indicator of the problem. Maybe the tech just ripped into the database and doesn't see the set applied, in which case your VSA wouldn't know to generate alerts for it.

Come on, we all handle tech support issues on a daily basis.
    I gave him specific machine group, specific monitor sets and told him where the sets are applied. What else am I supposed to do, give them a tutorial on using their own product.

Its the kind of response that has become typical of Kaseya support. They don't read your email properly, give you a handful of links to knowledgebase articles all of which have been tried already and then ignore you for weeks before doing anything.

5 days since issue lodged, 4 days since any response - right now I'm wondering what we get for our support $$. If I gave my clients this sort of turnaround I'd be out of business in a month.

• ok, have you looked at the monitor logs? Can you see any values logged anywhere? If you switch it to table view, you can actually see the numbers logged.

I imported your monitor set, and am testing it on my computer now. It is unlikely that it'll trigger, and I have no means of filling up my hard drive, but we'll see if I get some numbers logged in the next 60 minutes or so.

Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • ok, I am double posting because it has been a couple of hours, and this post contains the results of my testing ...

The event set technically works. I had to up to "critical" limit to 75GB, reduce the sample time to 5 minutes and set the freak-up time to 15 minutes. I'm not patient enough to wait three hours ...

I assigned the monitor set to my own computer, set it to e-mail me and generate an alarm if my drive went under 75GB of free space, then started copying.

All the criteria of the monitor set has now been fulfilled. I have less than 75GB of space left on my C: drive, and it has been this way for at least 20 minutes.

When checking the alarm log for my computer, it does indeed state:

Monitoring generated Counter ALARM at 2:17:31 pm 29-Jul-08 on computer

Monitor Set: C: Diskspace Below 750MB (WORKSTATION)
    Type: Counter
    Log Object: LogicalDisk
    Agent Time: 2:17:31 pm 29-Jul-08
    Alarm Time: 6:17:31 pm 29-Jul-08 UTC
    Log Value: 73674
    Alarm Operator: Under
    Alarm Threshold: 75000 Free Megabytes
    Alarm Duration: 15 Minute(s)

However, it appears that no e-mail message was sent out (or at least not received) for this alarm...

Correction: The e-mail message was received. Due to rules in Outlook, the message was automatically moved to a different folder.

Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • Lmhansen
    ok, have you looked at the monitor logs? Can you see any values logged anywhere? If you switch it to table view, you can actually see the numbers logged.

I imported your monitor set, and am testing it on my computer now. It is unlikely that it'll trigger, and I have no means of filling up my hard drive, but we'll see if I get some numbers logged in the next 60 minutes or so.

Yeah, both liveconnect and logged data is correct. Liveconnect is actually indicating that the data is in the alarm range - this is what has me scared as Kaseya actually knows the data is in the alarm range but is not doing anything with it and after investigating further its happening on several different sets.

I've finally got some movement from K support so will see what happens.

• Hi,

what agens versions are you using right now?
    We have had LOTS of trouble with alarms not beeing triggered, but now at
    agent ver. 5.0.0.16, it seems a lot better....

Legacy Posted By Username: HakanH
  • Kaseya Support is totally worthless.

If the rest of us treated our customers like Kaseya, we'd be out of business.

Anyway - I'm attempting to remedy the problem myself:

1. I defragged the database and reapplied the schema. I unchecked and rechecked the Enable Alarms.

2. I'm now attempting to reload the hotfixes, but it's stuck on "Checking" (for the past 3 hours.)

3. After that completes, I'll release all the pending alerts, and see if new ones come in.

I'll update this thread with the appropriate remedy once I find it.

Legacy Posted By Username: nevesis
  • HakanH
    Hi,

what agens versions are you using right now?
    We have had LOTS of trouble with alarms not beeing triggered, but now at
    agent ver. 5.0.0.16, it seems a lot better....

we're at agent version 5.0.0.5

ive given up with kaseya support, we just go around in circles

whatever indian call centre they have screening the support emails is just a useless, sent through 2 support emails yesterday and was told that they couldnt find my details in their system

ridiculous!

appreciate the heads up re the new agent version - ive emailed asking where I can get it from.......do you have any info on this? No doubt your reply will be quicker than theirs!

• Kaseya Support *did* identify the reason it was stuck on Checking:

It connects to http://localhost, and I had IIS set to listen for http://support.domain.com only.

After I remedied this, I was able to re-apply hotfixes, and the alerts started functioning again.

Legacy Posted By Username: nevesis
  • Here is an update on this problem we're having.
    We’ve now discovered some monitors are also alarming when they are not in the threshold range.

For example, we are not getting alarms for our monitor set: Check D: Diskspace (SERVER) that is assigned to SERVER

This monitor set is triggering an alarm. There are 5 separate counter thresholds for this monitor set, the threshold that alarms when under 2500mb of disk space free is triggering the alarm. There is 50GB of space free on this machine.

To attempt to resolve this issue I have:

Confirmed there is more than 2.5gb free on D: on this server, there is currently 50.2GB free

Confirmed that performance monitor on the machine is reporting freespace correctly. Perfmon is reporting 51472 megabytes free

Check liveconnect and determined that Kaseya is reporting the wrong value

Check to monitor log and confirmed here that Kaseya is reporting the wrong value

Checked the other thresholds in this set and confirmed they are all reporting the wrong value

Updated the agent on this machine to version 5.0.0.8, no change

Reapplied the monitor set to the machine, no change

Gone into the monitor log and reapplied the threshold to the machine, no change

Confirmed that no other disks on this machine have freespace equal to the incorrect value the monitor is reporting

I've emailed K support with this update so we'll see what happens!