Kaseya Community

Linux custom System Checks not working?

This question is answered
Picture 15.png
Under Monitor > External Monitoring > System Check I am trying to create a custom System Check but it does not seem to run. I guess I am trying to see if this is a way around the Log Parser not working on Linux so I can create alarms.
Verified Answer
  • There is no Monitor/Alarm support in either 6.0.1 or 6.1 for Linux agents. This is a well known limitation in the development group so I expected

I'd quickly find mention of it in the Release Notes or some other VSA/Agent documentation. Unfortunately, I'm not finding it as easily as I

expected.

I'll contact several people and at least ensure this limitation is documented that its not supported.

It is something which I'd like to add in the next 6-12 months. We're definitely in a catch-up game with the Linux agent but I expect we'll do the

catching up faster than the Mac agent.

Gordon

• > It would be good if you can link in a summary of what does and/or what does NOT work

Here is a link to the features supported in the Linux agent help.kaseya.com/.../8127.htm

Besides what this page shows, there is some Live Connect support. You cannot use Live Connect to get a vnc-like connection

to another Linux system. You can use Live Connect's Agent Data and Audit Information pages to show various data pages.

• I know this is a bit of a workaround but we did the following

As the Linux agent allows you to run scripts then we simply have some shell commands checking for processes running etc by piping a "ps -ef" out to a text file.

The script can then checks the file content for specific content i.e. is "/cron" present in the text file.

If so the script then writes a new text file called e.g. "cron.txt" and appends a value of either "running" or "stopped" to the file dependant on what it determined the state of the process.

So now we have a single file on the linux system that tells us the state of a single process.

The last step is to use a Get File step and have it create an alarm if the file has changed.

As the alarm will have the name of the file change then it is important to name the text files descriptively , so when ready the alarm it is easy to determine what process stopped.

All Replies
  • There is no Monitor/Alarm support in either 6.0.1 or 6.1 for Linux agents. This is a well known limitation in the development group so I expected

I'd quickly find mention of it in the Release Notes or some other VSA/Agent documentation. Unfortunately, I'm not finding it as easily as I

expected.

I'll contact several people and at least ensure this limitation is documented that its not supported.

It is something which I'd like to add in the next 6-12 months. We're definitely in a catch-up game with the Linux agent but I expect we'll do the

catching up faster than the Mac agent.

Gordon

• Thanks for clarifying.  It would be good if you can link in a summary of what does and/or what does NOT work so we don;t waste time trying to get it to work.

Please, please, please add in some basic framework for us to monitor Linux agents (mine are all servers) earlier than 6months.

Even more broadly, it would seem that just adding the ability to generate alarms straight from an Agent Procedure would save EVERYBODY a lot of pain and take a *lot* of pressure of you guys I'm sure.

Thanks again for the update.

Simon

• > Please, please, please add in some basic framework for us to monitor Linux agents

Do you have non-Linux agents? You can do SNMP monitoring from a Windows or Mac (in 6.1 and later) system.

I know very little about SNMP, so I can't really give you details, but it should be similar to using SNMP monitor

sets for Windows and Mac systems.

• > It would be good if you can link in a summary of what does and/or what does NOT work

Here is a link to the features supported in the Linux agent help.kaseya.com/.../8127.htm

Besides what this page shows, there is some Live Connect support. You cannot use Live Connect to get a vnc-like connection

to another Linux system. You can use Live Connect's Agent Data and Audit Information pages to show various data pages.

• I know this is a bit of a workaround but we did the following

As the Linux agent allows you to run scripts then we simply have some shell commands checking for processes running etc by piping a "ps -ef" out to a text file.

The script can then checks the file content for specific content i.e. is "/cron" present in the text file.

If so the script then writes a new text file called e.g. "cron.txt" and appends a value of either "running" or "stopped" to the file dependant on what it determined the state of the process.

So now we have a single file on the linux system that tells us the state of a single process.

The last step is to use a Get File step and have it create an alarm if the file has changed.

As the alarm will have the name of the file change then it is important to name the text files descriptively , so when ready the alarm it is easy to determine what process stopped.

• Thanks Paul - I only just saw this.   I appreciate the descriptive workaround.

Simon

• Procedure Folder MSPAssist Linux.xml

An example of the command might be

ps -ef >> #agentdir#/process.txt

This lists all the running processes

Then I'd use an if statement to test the contents of the file and if for e.g. is does not contain "/apache" then I execute the following commands

echo stopped >> #agentdir#/apache.txt

date  >>>> #agentdir#/apache.txt

Next I use a get file and retrieve #agentdir#/apache.txt  with the option set to Alarm if Changed which as I am adding the current date to the file it will always differ from the previous one . so hence it will create an alarm

I've included an  export of 2 samples as well . One does disk space the other does specific  processes.

But I do believe that kaseya 6.3 Linux agent will add the ability to monitor processes directly .. and you can already use the Low Disk Space alert on the Linux agent

Plus using the log parser will allow better flexibility in checking file content and creating alarms

See

http://www.kaseya.com/download/en-US/files/Kaseya_v6_3_PreReleaseAnnouncement.pdf

"

LINUX AGENT UPDATES
    Further building on the cross platform nature of
    Kaseya, the Linux Agent now supports the
    monitoring of processes and SNMP and provides a
    customizable Log Parser. This allows you to carry
    out these important system-monitoring functions
    without the need for a Windows machine onsite."