Kaseya Community

Moving from GFI to Kaseya

This question is answered

Hi all! i'm just about to migrate from GFI to Kaseya. I have a site which i manage which isn't on a flat domain, so the easiest way i can see to push the kaseya agent out is using some kind of script to automate the process within GFI. Has anyone done this and would they be willing to share their method? Thanks in advance!

Verified Answer
  • simply create a deployment package inside Kaseya (Agent tab, Install Agents, Deploy Agents) with all the settings that you like.  Then download that file and place it somewhere,where it can be accessed (not sure if GFI allows you to put them on their server, but you could use your website).   then simply create a script in GFI that will download and run that file, and the agent should be installed.

Alternatively, you can manually install 1 agent at each customer site, and then use Discovery to find the other machines and push the agent out.   This can be more difficult when it isn't on a domain, because you need credentials to do that, and they may be different for each machine, if it is just a Workgroup.

All Replies
  • simply create a deployment package inside Kaseya (Agent tab, Install Agents, Deploy Agents) with all the settings that you like.  Then download that file and place it somewhere,where it can be accessed (not sure if GFI allows you to put them on their server, but you could use your website).   then simply create a script in GFI that will download and run that file, and the agent should be installed.

Alternatively, you can manually install 1 agent at each customer site, and then use Discovery to find the other machines and push the agent out.   This can be more difficult when it isn't on a domain, because you need credentials to do that, and they may be different for each machine, if it is just a Workgroup.

• Chris, I was thinking the first option would be easier for this particular customer, however my scripting knowledge isn't that great. Hopefully Google has the answer somewhere!
  • Would be interested to find out what has made you move from GFI to Kaseya.

• I would like to know as well since they are looking as a possible replacement as Kaseya for us.

• Kaseya just offers so much more out of the box. There are a few limitations at the moments (can't remote control from my ipad for example) but the pros far outweigh the cons. Automated tasks are much easier to manage, provisioning / on-boarding through automated scripts. I can generally offer a better service and save some man hours by using automation. GFI is cheap, (except for the minimum spend they have now) but really it depends what you want out of an RMM tool. What is it that's attracting you to GFI?

• 3 things drew me over to Max Focus which is GFI's Hosted RMM.  I liked that when I added a server it already had all of the correct monitoring templates applied that I needed.  I also liked that they seem to be updating the product at least once a month and on a semi regular schedule.  Kaseya is always a hit or miss as to when the next upgrade will be happening.  The big reason is that max focus support was much better.  I have had a case open with Kaseya since January for my reports and alerts reporting times that 6 hours off from what the web interface is showing.  One of my reports shows the last reboot time occurring in the future since it runs 4 hours after the server was scheduled to reboot.  The times I have had to max focus support have always been pleasant, speedy and  most importantly they were willing to dig into the issue until it was resolved.  I agree that Kaseya has more features but they are going to loose customers quickly if they don't change 2 things.  They need to communicate more about what the current status is on releases.  They also need to provide better support.