Kaseya Community

Domain Permissions on Individual Folders

This question is answered

Is there a way with kaseya to have an agent procedure add a domain user with full control to a particular folder on the machine?  I see where you can script Kaseya to create a new domain user, but I am not seeing a way to put add the user to a folder with full permissions.  Has anyone got this to work?  Or even tried it?

RN

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Ryan,

You can set folder-level permissions via command line using the cacls, icacls, or subincacl utilities (depending on which version of Windows you're running).

cacls:  technet.microsoft.com/.../bb490872.aspx, technet.microsoft.com/.../2009.07.geekofalltrades.aspx

icacls:  technet.microsoft.com/.../cc753525.aspx

subincacl:  www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

Once you figure out the appropriate command line string/arguments to set the permissions on the folder(s) you want to edit, you can use the executeShellCommand step in Agent Procedures to automate the process.

• Thank you Brande for that.  I read those pages and created a command line to add my user.  This is what I am doing.  Keep in mind, I am doing this locally on the machine to test then I will be creating a procedure to do it across the network.  

icacls "Directory" /grant:r "lane.svt":(OI)(CI)F

When I run this it gives me the following error

Lane.svt: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.

Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

Is there something obvious that I am missing?

• Thank you so much Brande.  I found my mistake.  The user was a domain user and I wasn't typing in the user correctly.  Here is the cmd line that worked

icacls "Directory" /grant:r "SVT.local\lane":(OI)(CI)F

Thank you again!  

• very valuable, thanks all.