Kaseya Community

Feature Request: File distribution/remote download

• I would find it very useful to be able to use the Patch Management file source when distributing files to agents. That is, have a file download to the file source, then out to the agents. This way, when I want to send an install file in a script to 100 agents at one of my clients, it only has to be downloaded to their server, then all of their machines can get it locally.

Similarly, I would like the ability to have an agent remotely download a file from the web. For example, I want to update the APC PowerChute software to the latest version on all servers. That is a 56Mb file. I don't want to push it out from my K server, but I don't want to have to login to each client server and download it manually. I would like to simply have a fucntion in a script that would allow me to enter a URL to a file and have that agent download it to either a specified location, or to the Patch file source.

Legacy Forum Name: Feature Request: File distribution/remote download,
    Legacy Posted By Username: byulke
  • byulke wrote:
    I would find it very useful to be able to use the Patch Management file source when distributing files to agents. That is, have a file download to the file source, then out to the agents. This way, when I want to send an install file in a script to 100 agents at one of my clients, it only has to be downloaded to their server, then all of their machines can get it locally.

Similarly, I would like the ability to have an agent remotely download a file from the web. For example, I want to update the APC PowerChute software to the latest version on all servers. That is a 56Mb file. I don't want to push it out from my K server, but I don't want to have to login to each client server and download it manually. I would like to simply have a fucntion in a script that would allow me to enter a URL to a file and have that agent download it to either a specified location, or to the Patch file source.

You can do all this but you have to script it. We do all of the above just about every day.

Legacy Forum Name: Script Requests,
    Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • I have no doubt that this can all be scripted with a bit of effort. However, I'm looking for this to all be inherent functions of K scripting so that it can be easily managed and implimented.

If you care to share any of your scripts that impliment these functions, that would be more than appreciated.

• Sorry to be so brief (just got back from the conference), but one method to pull files from the web is to use a VBScript to invoke a WGET utility (http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/wget.html) which is meant exactly for this purpose and has a huge set of command line options.

Quick example:

Const WgetLog = "wget.log"
    Const WGET_EXE = "wget.exe"

Const WgetTimeout = 30
    Const WgetRetries = 3
    Const WgetWaitRetry = 3

Const URL = http://www.somewesite.com/

Const MYFILE = "myfile.exe"

Set Command = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

wgetCommand = WGET_EXE & " -o " & WgetLog & " -t " & WgetRetries & " --waitretry=" & WgetWaitRetry & " -S -T " & WgetTimeout & " " & URL & MYFILE

ReturnCode = Command.Run(wgetCommand,1,WaitOnReturn)

-Ed

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • Awesome. I'll take a look at that util and see what I can do with it. Thanks!