Kaseya Community

Anyone Running Kaseya 7.0 Have Any Thoughts?

• Is it possible for more than one user to be connected to the same system simultaneously?

Is there any way for more than one user to be able to work together on a single system simultaneously?

These factors make RDP and KVNC essential for us, not how fast we can connect to a remote system.

• Great questions Brian.  I would guess that you can have multiple concurrent connections to the same machine since you have to in order to connect to multiple monitors at once, unless they limit the concurrent connections to a single VSA admin at a time...  I look forward to the answer on this one as thats one of my favorite features of of KVNC and WINVNC, especially when helping out a lower tier tech with an issue or for training.

• Hi guys, an update and some answers.

- Yes multiple people can share the same session, no problems here.

- Also cascading works fine (Example: logging into a PC to show how somebody how the new remote control can be used)

The mouse problem issue is a known issue, support is asking people to give as much details about PCs that have this problem. (See the other thread in the forum)

As for the slow remote connection we are  having it's related to ONE system only, we suspect something else is going on there.

Some people at the customer that can remote in on these very slow connections tell us that to them this is the fastest they've ever been able to work. The location they are remoting in has about 3 mb download and 384 kb upload.

One issue we do see (awaiting ticket feedback) is that the Remote App will not fire up when customers go in through the Portal Access and click Desktop Access.  They see the text that another window should open up with the desktop, but that's about it.

I'll create a ticket about the international keyboard problems and let you all know.

Cheers, Erik.

• I upgraded tonight and had the same exact issue as everyone else.  Couldn't access the vsa web interface remotely.  I opened a ticket with Kaseya an hour ago (11:30 pm central) and they responded an hour and 15 minutes later with a workaround.  they said it was a known issue. LOL I dont know how they didn't catch this sooner but unsurprising.

That said, I was happy to get a quick reply in the middle of the night and more importantly a reply with a solution, not the usual response of asking a question and then replying much later.  All in all the problem was a small issue as I did the upgrade after hours and only had an hour and a half downtime.  This is expected with any software upgrade and time should be budgeted as such.

• Hi,

can you give some more details on the problem and workaround solution for access to the web interface remotely ?

our upgrade is planned in 2 weeks.

How long does it takes to upgrade ? You are all telling it takes longer ? What do you mean ? How much longer ?

rgds

• rdk@waslet.be our upgrade took about 2 hours to run, a lot longer then the previous version, we had already moved to brand new hardware in january with Windows 2012 R2 and SQL 2012

I got a fast response from my ticket and was the first with the web interface problem.

It took about 1 hour to fix the issue.

They said it was because we had Java 32bit installed instead of Java64bit then.

The installation tool does not check this, but the KAF does not work correctly during the installation then.

Read this FAQ to understand the problem : helpdesk.kaseya.com/.../62914983-7-0-Kaseya-

Application-Firewall-and-Port-Changes-FAQ

Sigh.... now on the remote control part.

- I reported that through the Portal Access you can not start Desktop Access

(The feature you sell to your customer that they can take over their system from home.......)

I got a response on my ticket that they saw the same problem on both our server and their test server.

They believe it to be an untested bug and will get back to us.

I can't believe nobody tested this, and worse they promised you had a fall back to KVNC if their remote tool didn't work (remember ?!), well that's is not true for the Portal Access for your customers....

Now a bunch of them are offcourse complaining they can no longer use this.

Previously you could choose between RDP and KVNC, that's no longer a possability....

I'll report any ticket updates.

Cheers,

Erik.

• Hi Erik,

Ok thks very much for the information.

regards

• "They said it was because we had Java 32bit installed instead of Java64bit then"

-So need to make sure we have the 64bit version installed?

Side question.  Where any external firewall ports needed to be opened, or is that only on the System Firewall?

• evp:

Sadly this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sigh.... now on the remote control part.

- I reported that through the Portal Access you can not start Desktop Access

(The feature you sell to your customer that they can take over their system from home.......)

I got a response on my ticket that they saw the same problem on both our server and their test server.

They believe it to be an untested bug and will get back to us.

I can't believe nobody tested this, and worse they promised you had a fall back to KVNC if their remote tool didn't work (remember ?!), well that's is not true for the Portal Access for your customers....

Now a bunch of them are offcourse complaining they can no longer use this.

Previously you could choose between RDP and KVNC, that's no longer a possability....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is exactly what I seen coming.  Our customers use that as well...  

• Hi Leathel, yes you need to download the Java 64 bit client manually.

I don't know for sure if that fixes everything because more people have the exact same problem we had with the firewall.

The firewall changes will done on the Kaseya server itself, for the outside world nothing changes.

So if you have a firewall between the Kaseya server and the internet only ports 80,443 and 5721 need be opened to the Kaseya server itself.

Have a look a the FAQ I told about earlier : https://helpdesk.kaseya.com/entries/62914983-7-0-Kaseya-

Cheers Erik.

• TL, DR - Upgraded to v7, updated without a hitch, KRC really fast, interface performance much better, working through some minor hurdles with support.

I upgraded last night from 6.5 to 7.  Our 6.5 is a HyperV VM on 2008R2, SQL2008, dual Xeon host, 24GB dedicated to the VM, 1000 seats.  I elected to update 6.5 in place and will likely move to 2012 R2 and SQL 2012 once things settle out.  

Prior to the upgrade I spent time making sure the VM was up to date, had the correct version of Java - manually installed both x32 and x64 - removed old version(s) of Java, installed latest Windows patches, removed old K modules that had expired in trial or we were no longer using, and did a final ShadowProtect backup.

I started the install and immediately ran into my first hurdle - the SA password I had recorded when I setup this server and stored in TWO places did not work. $%^&!  I stopped the install and looked at my options. Ultimately, because my SQL install was in mixed mode, I was able to reset the password and start again.  

Restarted the upgrade, past the SA credentials and on to the system check. Three issues were found, these were new and related to KAF and IIS changes.  I let FIXIT resolve them and moved on. From there the upgrade took about an 1:15 to complete.  

Although I am using a valid SSL cert, I don't recall seeing a prompt/screen in the installer to make that change.  

Upon completion I was able to login to my K interface - with their self-signed cert - and navigate around.  Initially, the session was slow.  From past experience I expected that as we had been offline for over an hour and getting all of the agents re-connected, procedures caught up, etc. was happening all at once.  I left it for about an hour to stabilize.  

When I went back to it, I was not at the office but working from home.  The Kserver interface connected quickly and was noticeably faster and more responsive than 6.3 and 6.5.  I still had the self-signed cert in place.  I updated the agents on my network and the laptop I was working on without issue.  

When I went to try KRC for the first time (using Chrome, latest version) and after updating the agent on both ends, a pop-up displayed that the remote app might not be installed and to install it.  I downloaded, installed, rebooted, then tried again.  Same response - please download and install.  Did this a few more times, even uninstalling live connect and remote control from the local PC (Win 8.1 pro).  Nothing worked while using Chrome - not even KVNC.  I have a ticket opened on this.

Moved over to IE11.  First noticed that I had a RED warning on my login page that the current browser was not supported and I should proceed with caution.  Checked the documentation and did not see where IE11 was NOT supported, just that IE9 and later was supported.  Logged in anyway, tested KRC and after a few pop-ups to approve, KRC connected - QUICKLY.  

Tried to launch KVNC but after clicking on a device name, the webpage frame simply redirected to my Kserver login page and stopped. Confirmed the behavior and opened a ticket with support.  

There has been not much in the way of response to my open tickets.  I think I have about 4 open at this moment.  But, we are not down and KRC is working from IE11 on my office PC (Surface Pro 2, Win 8.1).  I am sure support is looking at all of the incoming issues and trying to sort out what might be local to the unit or a bug in the software.  

Overall, the upgrade was easy and straight forward. The SA credential failure was my issue and not a result of the installer.  Replacing the self-signed cert with ours took about 5 minutes from start to finish including reading the documentation.  All good there.  

Getting used to what the new KRC can and cannot do is at the top of my list today.  I hope support can help us get it working through Chrome.  But, the overall performance and response in IE11 is very good.  Just wasn't expecting to have to jump back to IE.  

I went into this upgrade knowing the risks of being an early adopter. I expected some issues but also expected things to work overall based on the promises made by Kaseya.  At this point we are up, running, and looking forward to leveraging the integrated KNM.  Despite the issues we are working through, this has been a successful upgrade for us.

To the team at Kaseya and with the understanding that anything this complex is a work in progress, a HUGE thanks for your efforts and GREAT JOB!

• My issues weren't with the remote control, it was actually just even accessing the portal off the network.  The issue was with opening ports.  I obviously already had ports 80 and 443 open on the windows server but they were the preconfigured (by microsoft I think) web ports.    Not sure why that matters because according to the firewall they were open.  What I had to do was manually create another rule to open those 2 ports.  That fixed the problem.

• After using this more today I can confirm that the new remote is worth the hype.  It is mind blowing.  One thing to consider though is I couldn't figure out how to use it at first.  You have to click the agent status icon to remote control.  The old remote control module still uses the legacy remote.  Maybe they covered this in a webinar but I wasn't paying attention.

Now for the bad.  I just discovered that (for us anyway) KAV is blocking access to the ticketing module.  Any machine with it installed can't access the module, it just says loading and eventually fails.  Not sure if anyone else has that problem but for us it has been pretty big.

• nsummy - Agreed, after using KRC for an entire day, there is little to dislike about it.  I find it capable and fast, both connecting and in session.  I do look forward to the forthcoming private session feature though. One thing I noticed is I don't always get a clear desktop - i.e. text is difficult to read, some items look fuzzy.  This might simply be resolution but I have tried changing my desktop and the remote desktop resolution without improvement.  On my laptop with a high res screen, the remote desktop screen is almost too small to see. I am still trying to learn all of the ins and outs of the new KRC - so the issues may be that I just don't have a clear grasp of how to correctly use KRC. Time will tell.

corrected typo
    [edited by: LRobertson at 7:14 AM (GMT -7) on Jun 5, 2014]
  • Thanks for the kind words,