Please note: this is an unofficial guide. Any future releases of Traverse might disable the functionality described in this guide. You can use this guide as a source of information, but I can not be held liable for any damages, issues or any other form of disadvantages. Use this guide on your own risk.

This guide will show you how to add the Traverse database as a Data Source to SSRS (Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services). While the default reports are very usable, adding the database to SSRS will enable you to integrate data gathered by Traverse into your existing reports. We are currently using this approach to create reports for Windows Events, but this is just an example of the many things which could be done.

Requirements
Apart from the obvious requirements of Windows Server / SSRS licenses, you will need the MySQL connector: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/
There are 4 types of connectors: ANSI (a) and UNICODE (w), both 32-bit and 64-bit. ANSI has a limited character set, but it is proven to be faster than UNICODE. We chose UNICODE just to be on the safe side, as we don't know if there will be some sort of foreign characterset in the future.
NOTE: if you're running the 32-bit version of SSRS, you will need to install the 32-bit ODBC connector. You can install both connectors, in case you use both 32-bit and 64-bit applications.

Optional:
It's highly recommended to install a MySQL query tool, such as MySQL workbench. It's possible to add the Traverse database to SSMS (SQL Management Studio), but support is limited. For example: you won't be able to see the tables in the database. This is a known limitation.

Preparing the connection
Before adding the connector, it's recommended to create a read only account on the Traverse database. I used HeidiSQL to login as root and to add a new user. The following details can be used to login:
Server: <traverse server IP>
Port: 7663
Username: root
Password: <blank>

Create a user with the following rights on specific databases / global
-Execute
-Process
-Select
-Show Database
-Show View

Now install the MySQL connector, and reboot where needed.

Adding the connection
These steps have to be performed on the SSRS reporting server as the useraccount which is used by SSRS, otherwise the connection will not be usable as the SSMS user.

Navigate to Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Data sources (ODBC). 
NOTE: On a 64-bit system, with a 32-bit SSRS app, you will need to navigate to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe"
- Add a new User DSN
- Select MySQL ODBC 5.2a Driver
- Hit Finish

Next, you can configure the connection.
- Enter a Data Source Name, which will be used by SSRS. I named mine: Traverse_MySQL
- Enter a description. I named mine: Traverse_MySQL
- Enter the hostname of the Traverse server. NOTE: an IP address might cause issues.
- Enter the username and password for the MySQL user

Now, you can test the connection. It's recommended to hit the Details > button:
- Check "Allow big result sets"
- Check "Don't prompt when connecting"

-Click OK and you're done.

Adding the Data Source
Power up SSRS (Visual Studio) and open / create your project.

Now, you can add a new Data Source as you normally would:
- Click "Add New Data Source"
- Name the Data Source and select the type: "ODBC"
- Hit the "Edit" button
- Use the dropdown menu to select your ODBC connection
- Enter the credentials
- Hit OK and finish

If you're getting an error, then remove the new Data Source and re-add it without credentials.

These steps worked for me. Now you can use your favorite MySQL tool to develop queries. These queries can be entered directly as a query in SSMS, there is no need to use OPENQUERY. In fact, using OPENQUERY failed to return any results. If you're having issues with the results, you can try to play around with the details of the connection settings in the Control panel.