Kaseya Community

kasavsrv.exe using high cpu and memory usage

• Is anyone else having an issue with the kasavsrv.exe service eating up all of the cpu and memory on systems? I did a recent push to one of our customers. Before the AVG push install their systems worked well. Now they are having issues with slowness and lock ups. When taking a look at many of their systems this process is usage upwards of 50% cpu usage and as much memory as they have installed. On one of their servers it was in excess of 700,000k memory usage.

Any help would be appreciated. I am going to try an unistall from all their systems and install it back without the email scanner (their mail is scanned before it ever reaches their office), MS Office 2000 - 2007 add-in, and exchange server plugin. I am hoping that maybe (crossing fingers) this will work. I need to do the uninstall/reinstall anyways so that it is set so that the AVG icon will show on the system tray (per their request).

Legacy Forum Name: kasavsrv.exe using high cpu and memory usage,
    Legacy Posted By Username: crhis.duensing
  • On 64 bit Win 7, as soon as a scheduled scan commences, KASAVSRV starts to consume memory until it exhausts all available.

This takes about an hour to cause the machine to grind to a halt.

Ticket open with support. Support asked for us to run diagnostics from AVG. Awaiting a response after supplying that info.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • This was on a mix of xp and server 2008 machines both 32 and 64 bit. That could make sense though as we do have it set to do a full scan daily. Might need to change that to weekly and do it on the weekends.

• Did the client have AV before?
    Are you seeing the high cpu usage during normal operations when a scan is not running? If so it could be that simply real-time exceptions are needed.
    I have seen one endpoint so far that was always at a constant 40+% due to AVG. For some reason it was constantly reading/writing an AVG log file. A simple uninstall/reinstall fixed this machine.

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • They did have symantec AV 9 before (so they were way behind, claimed it was to expensive for the newer versions). I when I was there and saw it there were active scans going. I never checked it other than when there scans running so not sure if it does it during non scan times as well. I am going to try the uninstall/reinstall today. I will post up later this weekend/early next week if this worked for me or not.

• I had a similar problem, perhaps this info helps.

I found that this happens when the normal Kaseya Audit happens... I guess the realtime scanner has to scan every file that Kaseya touches. I found the machines most significantly affected were machines that did not have hyperthreading or multiple cores, suspect AVG has optimised for multithreading.

In my case, because it happened on about 10 machines out of a hundred only, I scheduled the scan to work out of hours on a particular night. I get less scans which is a pain but the customer is no longer complaining.

Legacy Posted By Username: Eelkov@aanet.com.au
  • I'm having simpler issues on machines that I've upgraded to 9.0 only. And only machines I have a scheduled scan on. I have posted a ticket with Kaseya requesting to make since of this obvious non-sence. IF AND WHEN I hear back from kaseya I'll let you guys know.

I've already recieved an escalation notification from them so that could mean my ticket is lost in the never ending kaseya ticket system now.

Legacy Posted By Username: JGarrison
  • Whenever a scheduled scan is run from Kaseya, it is run under the process of KaseyaAVService...so it makes sense that it uses a lot of CPU and memory.

When the audit runs, it calls back into the Kaseya service as well. We do a bunch of cleanup after these things run.

In future versions (i.e. what we are working on now), we'll be far less chatty and just report on the final situation of these operations which will clean this up even further.

On that note, I'd recommend not using the office add-in (not the email scanner, just the office scanner)....it is intended for legacy office applications which are mostly gone now. We are planning on removing it from future releases.

Anything outside of this, please log a ticket so we can get the AVG support guys involved.

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Jeff.Keyes
    Whenever a scheduled scan is run from Kaseya, it is run under the process of KaseyaAVService...so it makes sense that it uses a lot of CPU and memory.

When the audit runs, it calls back into the Kaseya service as well. We do a bunch of cleanup after these things run.

In future versions (i.e. what we are working on now), we'll be far less chatty and just report on the final situation of these operations which will clean this up even further.

On that note, I'd recommend not using the office add-in (not the email scanner, just the office scanner)....it is intended for legacy office applications which are mostly gone now. We are planning on removing it from future releases.

Anything outside of this, please log a ticket so we can get the AVG support guys involved.

Jeff

Which legacy office applications are you speaking of?

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Older than Office 2003.

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes