Kaseya Community

other AVG programs had major issues last week

• Well, for at least last week, it was a good week to be running AVG, and NOT McAfee or Trend Micro. I suppose this shows that no matter what av program we use, we could someday find ourselves dealing with mayhem.

McAfee apologizes for antivirus update disaster
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-20003247-83.html
    At 6 a.m. PDT Wednesday, the company released a faulty update to its antivirus software that hosed computers running Windows XP with Service Pack 3. The update, a DAT file, misidentified a key Windows file called svchost.exe as a virus, causing PCs to crash or keep rebooting.

Trend Micro customers suffer weekend mayhem
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-142468.html
    "This...update took down virtually all 1,500 of our Windows XP SP2 PCs and required many hours of work to resolve," said one angry person in an e-mail sent to ZDNet UK. "The machines were rendered inoperable once this signature hit and required many of us to work through Friday night. Our entire IT staff had to come in on Saturday to attempt to fix this disaster."

Legacy Forum Name: other AVG programs had major issues last week,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • The failings of Trend and McAfee don't suddenly make AVG a better product.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Scott Nally
  • Scott Nally
    The failings of Trend and McAfee don't suddenly make AVG a better product.

True.

I was just remembering that Symantec's changes going from v10 to v11 were a real pain for us, and one of the reasons that I switched away from them. And Symantec SEP v11 crashing our servers last May was another reason that I switched away from them. And SAV v10 annd SEP v11 allowing viruses through was another reason that I switched away from them.

Looking objectively, AVG's issues and sometimes poor detection are no better than my 10+ year experience with Symantec, and with AVG I get nice integration and management via Kaseya.

And it was somewhat comforting to see some news stories folks running Trend Micro and McAfee having major unexpected issues last week because of a problem with their AV software.

I was mostly feeling that it seems no matter what AV software someone uses, there is always the chance, and over time a real probalility, that we could be dealing with major unexpected problems on any given day when we wake up and go into the office.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf