Kaseya Community

KES installs not working and kaseya support are too busy to help

• Hi Jeff if your out there we need help
    It's been over 6 weeks now that we have been unable to install KES and been screaming out for Kaseya to help the whole time.

We have 3 core issues
    1. KES with exchange won't install and just seems to hang with kaseya just showing time bar but not updating install status
    2. KES has error with running installer
    3. AVG did not start properly

Our most critical to get working is 2 sbs exchange servers and I was asked for the avginstall.log from each. One of the servers had the log but it was from last year when the server was previously working with KES but no recent log to show problem currently occuring when installing (uninstalled avg in order to upgrade exchange part from 8.5 to 9)
    The other server had no such file on its drives anywhere.
    From what I can work out it doesn't look like the deployment ever kicks off on the servers and the problem is with our kaseya server

Last night we had kaseya support reinstall KES. (yes finally got some help)
    Tried again this morning but same problem remains.
    Any help anyone can provide as it seems that kaseya support are only able to fix the easy stuff and ignore the hard ones. If the last 6 weeks are anything to go by it will be another week until anyone from kaseya looks at this job again. Oh and no we are not running K2 - sick of having kaseya give me the speal about how good they are for providing support and free upgrade to K2, assuming that my problem and long delay in support is due to it being a K2 install issue.
    thanks in advance

Legacy Forum Name: KES installs not working and kaseya support are too busy to help,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Zombie
  • Can you try to manually run avginstall.exe to make sure that it is not corrupted?

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Zombie
    Hi Jeff if your out there we need help
    It's been over 6 weeks now that we have been unable to install KES and been screaming out for Kaseya to help the whole time.

We have 3 core issues
    1. KES with exchange won't install and just seems to hang with kaseya just showing time bar but not updating install status

Our most critical to get working is 2 sbs exchange servers and I was asked for the avginstall.log from each. One of the servers had the log but it was from last year when the server was previously working with KES but no recent log to show problem currently occuring when installing (uninstalled avg in order to upgrade exchange part from 8.5 to 9)
    The other server had no such file on its drives anywhere.
    From what I can work out it doesn't look like the deployment ever kicks off on the servers and the problem is with our kaseya server

Last night we had kaseya support reinstall KES. (yes finally got some help)
    Tried again this morning but same problem remains.
    Any help anyone can provide as it seems that kaseya support are only able to fix the easy stuff and ignore the hard ones. If the last 6 weeks are anything to go by it will be another week until anyone from kaseya looks at this job again. Oh and no we are not running K2 - sick of having kaseya give me the speal about how good they are for providing support and free upgrade to K2, assuming that my problem and long delay in support is due to it being a K2 install issue.
    thanks in advance

Having the exact same issue on Exchange 2003 Server. Installer runs (i see it in the running processes) but just sits there. Nothing happens. Eventually I receive a AVG failed to install in the Add/Remove tab of Kaseya.

Installing AVG on other servers not running Exchange works great. No problem. The last response I received from Kaseya was to use the AVG removal tool to completely uninstall AVG. I ran the executable, and rebooted the server. When I pushed the install, this time the file stopped downloading at 54MB. Had to restart the agent service to stop the script. At this point dont know what to do next. Will try Kaseya support again.

Legacy Posted By Username: mexteq

• Having the exact same issue on Exchange 2003 Server. Installer runs (i see it in the running processes) but just sits there. Nothing happens. Eventually I receive a AVG failed to install in the Add/Remove tab of Kaseya.

Installing AVG on other servers not running Exchange works great. No problem. The last response I received from Kaseya was to use the AVG removal tool to completely uninstall AVG. I ran the executable, and rebooted the server. When I pushed the install, this time the file stopped downloading at 54MB. Had to restart the agent service to stop the script. At this point dont know what to do next. Will try Kaseya support again.

Most commonly when the install file can't make it down is because there is already some resident file scanner that is checking the file on download.

The Kaseya install for KES uses the scripts - the WriteFile command. In WriteFile, it
    - checks if the file exists. If so, does a hash on it to verify that its the same file.
    - if not same or doesn't exists, it pulls the file down in 64K chunks and writes to the local disk.
    - the process of writing opens the file, writes the 64k chunk and closes the file.

Well...you can imagine that if there is some resident active program that scans on all file access, its going to go crazy with scanning this file and it doesn't get completely downloaded.

In a hotfix that was just released, we added extra steps to help recover from this situation such that it will retry a bit more and recover, but the bottom line is that there is something else conflicting here and it will likely comflict even worse with another resident checking application like antivirus / AVG.

We have 3 core issues

1. This sounds like a server error / ajax error and the install never gets scheduled
    2. need more info on the error. Please send me the ticket and we'll get on it
    3. need more info on the error. Please send me the ticket and we'll get on it

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Zombie and mexteq: I have reported the stuck "time bar" or progress thermometer issue on multiple KES screens several times to K support - going back more than a year ago. I've tried to share with Jeff what I think the problem is, but he's been hard to reach lately - undoubtedly solving much more serious problems (K2 ?)...

Anyway, here is what I've learned about the stuck progress bar on the KES Install/Remove screen: in my case the problem was because the NETWORK SERVICE group did not have write permissions to the C:\Kaseya\UserProfiles folder on the KServer. In fact, NETWORK SERVICE did not have ANY permissions defined. Other users in the forum checked - and they too did not have any permissions for NETWORK SERVICE. The clue was a log entry that support found (though they never shared WHAT LOG this was found in):

2010-03-01 12:20:33,958 ERROR 5 Kaseya.Service.NHibernateServiceCallInterceptor - EXITED WITH ERROR service method call ScheduleInstall System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Kaseya\UserProfiles\24439068508722905104492685\GetFiles\kes\AvgInstall.log' is denied. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.File.Delete(String path) at....

In simpler terms, when the VSA is displaying its progress bar (for a KES install in my case), the KServer was attempting to delete an old AvgInstall.log file from C:\Kaseya\UserProfiles\{GUID}\GetFiles\kes. I guess the KES code running on the KServer is using the NETWORK SERVICE account to do its thing (or NOT do Smile ) I have experienced the stuck progress bar on other KES screens too - BUT ONLY KES SCREENS. I suspect the KES developers were unfamiliar with the folder permissions on the KServer and never tested this code out.

As soon as I granted NETWORK SERVICE full permissions to my KServer's UserProfiles folder (and below by inheritance), no more stuck progress bar Smile

Sounds like they have not learned from my tickets. Hopefully Jeff will have some spare time one day and see this info - and get dev to fix it.

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • ReedMikel
    Zombie and mexteq: I have reported the stuck "time bar" or progress thermometer issue on multiple KES screens several times to K support - going back more than a year ago. I've tried to share with Jeff what I think the problem is, but he's been hard to reach lately - undoubtedly solving much more serious problems (K2 ?)...

Anyway, here is what I've learned about the stuck progress bar on the KES Install/Remove screen: in my case the problem was because the NETWORK SERVICE group did not have write permissions to the C:\Kaseya\UserProfiles folder on the KServer. In fact, NETWORK SERVICE did not have ANY permissions defined. Other users in the forum checked - and they too did not have any permissions for NETWORK SERVICE. The clue was a log entry that support found (though they never shared WHAT LOG this was found in):

2010-03-01 12:20:33,958 ERROR 5 Kaseya.Service.NHibernateServiceCallInterceptor - EXITED WITH ERROR service method call ScheduleInstall System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Kaseya\UserProfiles\24439068508722905104492685\GetFiles\kes\AvgInstall.log' is denied. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.File.Delete(String path) at....

In simpler terms, when the VSA is displaying its progress bar (for a KES install in my case), the KServer was attempting to delete an old AvgInstall.log file from C:\Kaseya\UserProfiles\{GUID}\GetFiles\kes. I guess the KES code running on the KServer is using the NETWORK SERVICE account to do its thing (or NOT do Smile ) I have experienced the stuck progress bar on other KES screens too - BUT ONLY KES SCREENS. I suspect the KES developers were unfamiliar with the folder permissions on the KServer and never tested this code out.

As soon as I granted NETWORK SERVICE full permissions to my KServer's UserProfiles folder (and below by inheritance), no more stuck progress bar Smile

Sounds like they have not learned from my tickets. Hopefully Jeff will have some spare time one day and see this info - and get dev to fix it.

Thanks Reed Mikel. We noticed this as well about 2 weeks ago on our install. Have you submitted a ticket to Kaseya for them to specifically check/set this permission?

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • I do have a ticket 210064 "Install of KES on machine confroom.anta stuck with thermometer bar cycling back and forth" that goes back to 2/11/10. I have raised similar tickets going back more than a year ago. But only in this most recent ticket did support stumble into the problem when they found that error message in some undocumented log file.

Here's the tail end of that ticket:
    [Ticket Notes ~ticId='210064']
    Ticket ID: 210064
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Author: mike.reed@compusolve-us.com
    Date: 11:13:41 15-Mar-10
    Can you give me a short explanation of what the current process is - and why the problems?
    Thanks Jeff!
    Author: jeff.keyes
    Date: 10:54:44 15-Mar-10
    We are changing the way we do this for KES3...its too big of a change for KES2.1
    Author: Mike Reed
    Date: 19:09:17 2-Mar-10
    I asked some other users on the forum to check their folder permissions for C:\Kaseya\UserProfiles. LWolf responded that Network Service does not have permissions on his KServer. I'll let you know as others respond too. My hunch is that nobody will have this particular permission.

Is it possible that a code change was made to KES that now requires Network Service to have permissions on this folder?

It could explain why others report problems with the stuck progress bar on KES screens too.
    Date: 17:50:59 1-Mar-10
    Adding Network Service to the permissions list on my KServer solved the problem.

So that I do not run into a similar problem on other machines, can you please explain why KES has installed successfully on other machines at this same site without a problem? I checked and no other machine folders have Network Service permissions. So why has it installed on some of them without this problem? My guess is that this problem only affects machines that had a prior installation of AVG on them?

I did notice that this machine had AVG v7.5 installed in the past (as well as 8.x). Perhaps this is a bug with machines that had an older version?

Can you ask the developers to make the Install/Remove screen more intelligent? It should not sit in an infinite loop when it has trouble accessing a file on the KServer. Perhaps it should timeout after a number of seconds and display a useful error message?

Also, where did the developers find the error log entries you listed? That would be an invaluable tool to have...

Thanks,
    -Mike
    Author: mike.reed@compusolve-us.com
    Date: 12:49:53 1-Mar-10

Just looked at my KServer and checked the permissions for C:\Kaseya\UserProfiles folder:

Administrators group also has full control (just like System).

But I do not see Network Service listed. I can add it, but WHY does KES install properly on other machines? If it was a permissions issue all the way at the UserProfiles folder, shouldn’t all machines be affected?

I have to head out for an appt, but will try this in the next few hours when I get back…

Thanks

Author: ernie.dolan
    Date: 12:37:59 1-Mar-10
    I conferred with the KES dev team regarding your install issue. you are getting a ajax error when the installer is trying to access the 'C:\Kaseya\UserProfiles\24439068508722905104492685\GetFiles\kes\AvgInstall.log' is denied.

please go to your kaseya server and confirm that the System and Network Service accounts have full control in the C:\Kaseya\UserProfiles folder?. if not, please add them and try to do another KES install

Regards,
    Kaseya Support
    Date: 09:48:21 1-Mar-10
    For the developers: Shouldn't there be a timeout on progress bars like this? What's the point of endlessly looping?

Jeff did send me a private email, but did not yet seem to have a good handle on why this permissions issue exists. I'll bet anything it's simply that the KES developer(s) made incorrect assumptions about KServer folder permissions for UserProfiles. I've emailed Jeff some additional times to follow up on this, but haven't heard back.. I know he's swamped...

I guess I could raise another ticket, but I think support would just get more pissed off at me, as I seem to have an entire encyclopedia's worth of tickets in my 2 years with Kaseya Smile

Coldfirex
    Thanks Reed Mikel. We noticed this as well about 2 weeks ago on our install. Have you submitted a ticket to Kaseya for them to specifically check/set this permission?

• I like the term "knight rider eye". Wink

That behavior is indicative of an error that has happened on the page and the install (or whatever other action) was not actually performed.

Common reasons are
    - locked file on the server
    - invalid permissions on the server (I'm still trying to figure out how the webapp no longer has permissions to files that it wrote)
    - .NET registration problems

What to do?
    1. See if this happens on all installs or specific machines (might be indicative of locked files, etc)
    2. Take a look at the log http://[YourServerHere]/antivirustab/viewserverlog.aspx

you'll see buried in the ultra messy error object the actual error. The ticket will get solved much quicker with that information.

• Jeff - can you tell us what the default permissions should be on the C:\Kaseya\UserProfiles folder on our KServers? ie What would be the folder permissions after a fresh install of a KServer? Does installing KES on one's KServer change those default UserProfiles folder permissions? If not, maybe it should Smile Others have commented that NETWORK SERVICE does not have permission to that folder (and below). As soon as I gave NETWORK SERVICE full permissions, the problem (stalled progress bar on KES Install/Remove screen) went away. Others have confirmed that too.

Don't you have enough info to turn it over to dev and get some answers?

I've been reporting this bug for well over a year - and it only happens on KES screens. I think the KES developer(s) made some incorrect assumptions about UserProfiles folder permissions.

I'll bet if you dig into the code you'll discover that the AvgInstall.log file was originally created using an account other than NETWORK SERVICE. Maybe SYSTEM?

Jeff.Keyes
    - invalid permissions on the server (I'm still trying to figure out how the webapp no longer has permissions to files that it wrote)

• That is the thing that has us scratching our heads - the same app that is looking to read those files is the one that writes the file. (i.e. How is it that it has permissions to write but not to read?)

we have some work we are planning to proactively prevent that particular situation...due out in a hotfix soon.

• It's not the "app" in and of itself that determines what permissions get used. Take for instance scripting - I can choose SYSTEM, a particular user account, or the agent credentials account. You'd have to check your app's code to see what account is used to create the AvgInstall.log file vs what account is being used to delete it (we think its the NETWORK SERVICE account).

Jeff.Keyes
    That is the thing that has us scratching our heads - the same app that is looking to read those files is the one that writes the file. (i.e. How is it that it has permissions to write but not to read?)

we have some work we are planning to proactively prevent that particular situation...due out in a hotfix soon.

• But I'm hoping there is some light finally at the end of the tunnel as Jeff has noticed my pain and is helping although so far I think we've only repeated what Kaseya support person Josh had already done over the last 7 weeks but at least I'm hopeful it might all be working again before the 2mths without KES mark hits at the end of this week! (I'd been esculated so many times in the last 7 weeks with no help except messages each time I followed up to say I'd been esculated again that I guess eventually Jeff got stuck with me cause he has no one to esculate to above him)

Josh from support last week was able to fix my 1st issue with the "knight rider bar" being stuck by applying a hotfix which the Kaseya developers provided him. But then the whole security tab in kaseya crashed and gave an error code page. Josh reapplied .net2 update and that fixed that error. Tested if my other 2 issues where KES gets an error saying couldn't run, to see if they'd been fixed aswell, but they weren't. (knight rider bar had come about due to Josh trying to fix my problem with installing avg would give the status "couldn't run avg" error - when he updated/replaced the kaseya avginstall.exe file)

Jeff informed me on the weekend that he'd installed a fix (which I think from memory was updating/replacing the avginstall.exe file and applying a hotfix) and that it should all be ok now. Maybe it was but I couldn't find out because the whole kaseya security page was coming up with the same error again. Jeff advised me that I needed to update .net2. I got into the office this afternoon to do just that but it looks like the error page had fixed itself (the old leave it alone for 12hrs and it will fix itself trick). Unfortunetly I tested installing avg to 2 brand new workstations and same error occured with avg couldn't start...

I'm curious to see if my tickets in kaseya portal change to another colour after being red for 2-3 weeks now. MadConfusedEekSad

Legacy Posted By Username: Zombie
  • My KES installs are failing as well. Current work around is to force installs from the Kserver instead of from the file source. That seems to work fine.

Legacy Posted By Username: raymondm
  • Are these failed installs occurring on machines that have no prior version of AVG? Or are they reinstalls? If it's the former, I can almost guarantee it's the permissions bug I have reported to Kaseya more than a year ago. I'm not sure what's taking them so long to figure it out (or react), it's not really that complicated... Then again, I guess supporting K2 probably leaves them no time to chase down things like this...

raymondm
    My KES installs are failing as well. Current work around is to force installs from the Kserver instead of from the file source. That seems to work fine.

• ReedMikel
    Are these failed installs occurring on machines that have no prior version of AVG? Or are they reinstalls? If it's the former, I can almost guarantee it's the permissions bug I have reported to Kaseya more than a year ago. I'm not sure what's taking them so long to figure it out (or react), it's not really that complicated... Then again, I guess supporting K2 probably leaves them no time to chase down things like this...

Nope. These machines had symantec 10.1 or Eset on before.

Legacy Posted By Username: raymondm