Kaseya Community

Do NOT install AVG Link Scanner on servers

• Hello to all. I wanted to share this with you....

Some of you may be following the other thread I started regarding PERC RAID card issues with DELL PowerEdge 2900 servers with AVG installed

http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/94/t/9618.aspx

I have been working with K Support, who has gotten AVG Support involved. During this back-and-forth, AVG Support made it very clear that AVG Link Scanner should NOT be installed on servers. AVG Support said it is not designed for servers, It is not tested on servers, they have seen problems with it on servers. And I can confirm that we have experienced crashes and PERC RAID controller errors with it installed.

I thought Link Scanner was just a browser plug in or something. But apparently it installs some sort of TDI driver, and interacts with Windows and Networking at some lower level. I still don't understand all of the details.

So in summary, it is pretty simply. Do NOT install AVG Link Scanner on servers.

We are still having a problem with server lockups - which does not seem to be related to Link Scanner or PERC Controller errors. I am going to create a new thread, for the lockup issues. As the old thread was originally for the PERC RAID controller errors that I was seeing.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: Do NOT install AVG Link Scanner on servers,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • lwolf
    Hello to all. I wanted to share this with you....

Some of you may be following the other thread I started regarding PERC RAID card issues with DELL PowerEdge 2900 servers with AVG installed

http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/94/t/9618.aspx

I have been working with K Support, who has gotten AVG Support involved. During this back-and-forth, AVG Support made it very clear that AVG Link Scanner should NOT be installed on servers. AVG Support said it is not designed for servers, It is not tested on servers, they have seen problems with it on servers. And I can confirm that we have experienced crashes and PERC RAID controller errors with it installed.

I thought Link Scanner was just a browser plug in or something. But apparently it installs some sort of TDI driver, and interacts with Windows and Networking at some lower level. I still don't understand all of the details.

So in summary, it is pretty simply. Do NOT install AVG Link Scanner on servers.

We are still having a problem with server lockups - which does not seem to be related to Link Scanner or PERC Controller errors. I am going to create a new thread, for the lockup issues. As the old thread was originally for the PERC RAID controller errors that I was seeing.

Lloyd

Wonderful, I wonder if the big K will let us know this, that way it's not an us against them when it comes to telling the higher ups about this.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • I checked one of the servers we have aVG installed on and doesn't have LinkScanner at all installed but have noticed server still locking up twice in the past 2 days.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: chimoe