Kaseya Community

Problems installing KES from LAN Patch File Source

• Today I was informed of a recent problem (in the past few weeks) that my Services Managers have been dealing with.

We are in the process of switchign our remainign Symantec clients to KES. There have been a few networks, with deploying KES using the LAN Patch File Source fails. Yet, regular Kaseya patching works fine from the LAN Patch File Source. So I know network permissions and Credentials are fine.

On the same networks, deploying Kaseya by specifying the option to use the KServer works just fine. So I know there are no issues with the internet or firewall appliance.

With that info, can you think of any reason why deployment fails to all machines on the network when using the LAN Patch File Source, but works when deploying via the Kserver?

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: Problems installing KES from LAN Patch File Source,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • lwolf
    Today I was informed of a recent problem (in the past few weeks) that my Services Managers have been dealing with.

We are in the process of switchign our remainign Symantec clients to KES. There have been a few networks, with deploying KES using the LAN Patch File Source fails. Yet, regular Kaseya patching works fine from the LAN Patch File Source. So I know network permissions and Credentials are fine.

On the same networks, deploying Kaseya by specifying the option to use the KServer works just fine. So I know there are no issues with the internet or firewall appliance.

With that info, can you think of any reason why deployment fails to all machines on the network when using the LAN Patch File Source, but works when deploying via the Kserver?

Lloyd

I just started to see this too, since the K2 upgrade, that and one server says that the updates are failing but according to Kaseya its up to spec...

I think that the file in the file source is not the correct version so the switches are wrong. I'm going to try and manually replace the file tonight.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • I have been having the same problem, and others with KES since upgrading to K2 about 2 weeks ago. Support has been no help at all (no surprise).
    What I noticed last night about the install from LAN source is that for some reason each install seems to think the LAN source is not up to date, and it starts a new download of the install package each time. So, if I schedule say 50 machines to update 10 mins apart, the first one to go starts a download of the install package (~120mb), even though it is already there. Then 10 mins later when the next one kicks off it restarts the download again, and so on. So when I watch the files source on the LAN share it starts, builds in size to like 40-60 mb, then restarts at 0 again when the next client tries to install, and so on. I tried removing the KES folder on the LAN share all together, and just started 1 client install (upgrade), and it downloads the entire file and installs. But, as soon as I run the next install, it starts all over at 0 files size again. If I tell it to install from the Kserver it works, but takes forever.. and we can't update 800+ machines, with each one taking an hour to download and install. Any ideas?
    I am sorry, but the support is worthless, worthless, worthless. I have had a ticket open for all the update errors we have been getting, and it is like they are trained to put you off as long as possible with a non-answer. They wait days to a week, then respond with "looks fine to us, we don't know what you are talking about", I add another screen shot showing the exact error, they wait a week and then say again "looks fine to us", repeat.....

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonmh
  • These symptoms are identical to a bug I reported many months ago in K5. I'm not on K2 yet, but your description of how it misbehaves in K2 is identical to what happened in K5.

jasonmh

What I noticed last night about the install from LAN source is that for some reason each install seems to think the LAN source is not up to date, and it starts a new download of the install package each time. So, if I schedule say 50 machines to update 10 mins apart, the first one to go starts a download of the install package (~120mb), even though it is already there. Then 10 mins later when the next one kicks off it restarts the download again, and so on. So when I watch the files source on the LAN share it starts, builds in size to like 40-60 mb, then restarts at 0 again when the next client tries to install, and so on.

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • Well call me stupid, but we figured out the cause of our problem.

It was infact a problem with the Share permissions on the LAN Patch File Source - the SYSTEM account did not have permission. Apparently, the patch file source has been broken since Kaseya deployment on these 2 networks. But we never noticed because patching must have been switching to Download From The Internet, when the machines could not access the Patch File Source.

• lwolf
    Well call me stupid, but we figured out the cause of our problem.

It was infact a problem with the Share permissions on the LAN Patch File Source - the SYSTEM account did not have permission. Apparently, the patch file source has been broken since Kaseya deployment on these 2 networks. But we never noticed because patching must have been switching to Download From The Internet, when the machines could not access the Patch File Source.

If this is the case, we coud be getting false possitives when we do the "configuration test" under patch management... Sad

At this point it dosent bother me too much, I have to rebuild all our patch memberships... after the upgrade most of them got reset...

• thirteentwenty
    If this is the case, we coud be getting false possitives when we do the "configuration test" under patch management... Sad

There were so many signs that said Credentials and Patch File source were okay, I never really took a look at them. The Patch Test showed Successful for all of these machines. I am guessing that if the "Download from Internet if machine is unable to connect to the file server." option is selected, that the Patch Test will show Successful as long as the machine can get to the internet.

Either that, or the permissions were okay at one point, and then somehow got messed up.

• lwolf
    There were so many signs that said Credentials and Patch File source were okay, I never really took a look at them. The Patch Test showed Successful for all of these machines. I am guessing that if the "Download from Internet if machine is unable to connect to the file server." option is selected, that the Patch Test will show Successful as long as the machine can get to the internet.

Either that, or the permissions were okay at one point, and then somehow got messed up.

This could be problematic as I'll be re-deploying KES on an entire site, and BU-DR on a couple of machines for that client too... I wonder if (not food for though, I am asking for opinion here) if it would be beneficial to upload the needed files to the patch sources before I do this...

• I have several Patch Mgmt related tickets open with support and have been trying to emphasize that the Patch "Test" is not testing permissions on File Shares. In one of the tickets support said that agents need write access to the shared folder in order to save some sort of log file. I told support that I did a test where I changed the File Share's permissions to read-only, then performed a Patch Mgmt->Patch Status->[Test]. The "test" reported PASSED. I have asked why it's not testing this critical part of the File Share permissions, but so far they seem to be in denial Confused

thirteentwenty

• ReedMikel
    I have several Patch Mgmt related tickets open with support and have been trying to emphasize that the Patch "Test" is not testing permissions on File Shares. In one of the tickets support said that agents need write access to the shared folder in order to save some sort of log file. I told support that I did a test where I changed the File Share's permissions to read-only, then performed a Patch Mgmt->Patch Status->[Test]. The "test" reported PASSED. I have asked why it's not testing this critical part of the File Share permissions, but so far they seem to be in denial Confused

The agent requires (at least) write access to the share, and yet the PM "test" is not a permissions test and yet it does not test for it... I'm lost :\

As I sit here awaiting the flash of light and brief nausia due to time travel, I ponder what exactly that "test" is used for.

I think we're getting a bit off topic here :\

• I was just trying to point out a common problem that affects K5 and K2 users: K-bugs Smile Seriously though, it seems like permission issues on the File Share affect not only KES installs but PM as well... I'm still waiting for support to explain where in their docs it mentions that the File Share needs to be set up with write permissions for agents that use the share. As another user said in a forum post, there should no reason to open the file share for write access. Any temp files (e.g. log files) should be written on the agent's temp folder.

thirteentwenty
    I think we're getting a bit off topic here :\