Kaseya Community

exchange information store restarted

• I have installed KES with the exchange plugin installed on an exchange 2007 server. When the 'KES Update' script runs I see the 'Exchange Information Store' service restarted.

I assume there is an update available for AVG and needs to be installed. Anyone else see this happening?

In my case the exchange server is used for users in a terminal server environment and they all get a message from outlook the connection to the exchange server is lost at that moment. The service is restarted and the connection with exchange will be restored. This is very annoying for the users.

I have opened a support ticket for this, because I do not want services to be restarted without my knowledge or confirmation.

Legacy Forum Name: exchange information store restarted,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tjibbe@nexusict.nl
  • Yes, I have the exact problem but on two of my sites running SBS2008 with Exchange 2007 the services restart but they hang on either Stopping or Starting and the only fix is to reboot the server.

I initially didn't even consult AVG as I didn't think anything of it as it was only happening on one site and we have many running AVG9 but this morning happened to another customer and after checking pending scripts it halted on the update.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ryane
  • Support haven't offered too much.

But it seems at the moment that with the upgrade to version 9 which has integrated exchange components that version 8.5 is leaving hooks in the Exchange Hub Transport service (like an addon) we manually removed AVG Exchange Component from add/remove programs on the server; but the service is still trying to look for the 8.5 exchange addon which is where I think the problem is at the moment.

Haven't figured it out so far. Am continuing to speak to support

Legacy Posted By Username: ryane
  • I had the same problem last summer. I had tried to use the KES for Exchange for a customer, but it kept causing the information store to fail to start until I removed I the KES for Exchange. This was last summer and support never could give me an answer and it made me look really bad.

I changed to another solution becuase of the KES for Exchange issues. I just scrub the mail going in and out via an anti spam/anti virus filtering appliance that I purchased that is located at a colo. I also have a second one as a secondary scanner too, so I am able to offer “mailbagging” services to my customers so I find it a superior offering to purchasing the KES for Exchange since unless they changed it, it did not do antispam filtering. Yes it is more of a layout for two of the mail scanning appliances, but since the appliance are rated for X amount of mailboxes and not hard coded for a certain amount of mailboxes it has paid for itself and it lets me walk in to any customer and deploy my managed services quicker.

Legacy Posted By Username: Chris T
  • ryane
    Yes, I have the exact problem but on two of my sites running SBS2008 with Exchange 2007 the services restart but they hang on either Stopping or Starting and the only fix is to reboot the server.

I initially didn't even consult AVG as I didn't think anything of it as it was only happening on one site and we have many running AVG9 but this morning happened to another customer and after checking pending scripts it halted on the update.

This problem is one I have also with exchange 2003 servers, but only after the upgrade/install of avg 9. After a reboot the exchange services started normally and are running fine.

It seems like the services are restarted too with the 'kes update' script, which checks for definition updates. When new definitions are available they are installed and the services restarted.

Because definitions are updated a lot the services are restarted several times a week. I know it is needed, but even than I want to have control of it.

Haven't heard from support yet other than 'send a machine ID which this applies to' and 'we let kes engineering look at it', and that was about 10 days ago.Confused

Legacy Posted By Username: tjibbe@nexusict.nl
  • I'm really curious about this. You can turn off the KES updates (on the manual updates page) and allow the AVG integrated updater just update as it normally would. There should be no difference between those two update processes.

From what I understand, the Exchange services should not be taken offline during the update process. I'm worried that there is an AVG bug there.

I also know that if the machine had AVG8.5 on it previously and then AVG9 installed over it, it may still have the AVG8.5 exchange plug-in which would cause all sorts of problems (you would see it in the add/remove programs)

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes