Kaseya Community

Windows Firewall

• I am missing something I'm sure in my newness to KES...

On every Windows Server 2008 machine (and maybe others) I push KES to it enables the windows firewall if it is not already enabled. In some cases this is fine, but we have a number of cases where this is not fine.

Is there a way to make KES not do this?

Legacy Forum Name: Windows Firewall,
    Legacy Posted By Username: trebligb
  • You are not missing anything that is correct. I have an open ticket on that as well as the other issues since AVG9 came out. This is a reply I got from Kaseya support this morning to update everyone. They should probably send something like this to all of their KES Customers. It would be nice.

here is a list of all the issues we have with avg 9
    - avg 9 installs system tray icon, even though your KES install options are not to install. * we are still working on a fix for this
    - avg 9 install turns on Windows Firewall * we are working for a fix for this
    - AVG Exchange install still sends certification notices even though you unchecked those options for your profile * we are still working on a fix for this
    - AVG 9 popup stating AVG 9 is available for upgrade. * this was fixed last week. if you still see it, let us know

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jasonp
  • How wasn't this spotted before release???? Something simple like a new version turning on the windows firewall should stand out a mile. Even if that wasn't spotted the icon appearing is obvious.

Kaseya's history of releasing updates with very poor testing really makes me wonder about this product. I don't want to have to go down the line of re-testing everything Kaseya release in lab but it's beginning to look like I will have to.

Kaseya needs to realise that customers such as me are fully responsible for what gets released to our customers. We cannot turn around and blame updates released by third parties to our supplier.

No company will ever get all releases perfect, if they did a lot of us wouldn't be in a job, but turning the firewall on??? Seriously????

One of our customers who happens to be a large hotel chain had their reservations system go down over this resulting in lost revenue for them. In this climate no company can afford hits like this. If we’re going to be seen to cause a loss of income to any customer then I don’t expect them to be around for long.

Legacy Posted By Username: clynch
  • Update to these items:

- avg 9 installs system tray icon, even though your KES install options are not to install. * fix released

- avg 9 install turns on Windows Firewall * still working on the right way to fix this. AVG will have an update out that fixes it, but that isn't until Jan. We are looking at doing this outside of AVG.

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Jeff,

On one hand we are being instructed to upgrade endpoints to AVG9 when we run into the issue with protection disabled alerts. This includes servers.

On the other hand, AVG9 is enabling Windows Firewall, which could cause problems at client sites and may not be fixed for several weeks.

Can I register my interest in seeing a streamlined solution, be it from AVG or Kaseya ASAP.

Also perhaps a "sticky" post on the protection disabled and the things to be aware of currently with AVG9 would be of benefit or at least a link to a KB article covering all this.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology