Kaseya Community

AVG 9 Upgrade popup prompt to end users

• We just noticed that a few machines have popped up prompts to get the free upgrade for AVG 9. Any way to stop this? We have all notifications turned off in the general tab of our KES security profiles.

Legacy Forum Name: AVG 9 Upgrade popup prompt to end users,
    Legacy Posted By Username: emendes
  • We are also having the same issue. Any ideas on how to stop it?

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: dapopa9
  • Same issue over here. I'm really hoping that this upgrade will be as smooth as the 8.0 to 8.5 was.

Legacy Posted By Username: MGray
  • This is an issue, as an IT provider I have to be assured that we control their upgrades and that this 9.0 upgrade is actually going to work with current Kaseya Scripts.

I am very nervous abou this as it appears to be coming from AVG and not Kaseya.

I am really hoping Jeff or someone else can give us a quick update on what is going on here!!

Please advise if anyone starts having issues managing AVG after someone has done the 9.0 Upgrade.

Joe Axne
    IT-Guru, LLC

Legacy Posted By Username: itgurullc
  • Yeah it is pretty bad when clients are sending me screen shots of the update message becasue I hadn't even seen it myself yet!

Legacy Posted By Username: dapopa9
  • I highly advise everyone to send a ticket into Kaseya support to alert the KES team of this issue and hopefully we can have a surppression script to push to our clients ASAP.

Have now recieved 15 calls on this and fear tommorrow.

We also utilize NOC servcies so escalating to them as well and will advise if they are able to figure this out a way to suppress.

Joe

• Sorry for the lag guys - as you can imagine, my inbox has been VERY full lately with AVG9 issues. Nothing we can't solve, but for some reason it all has hit this week. There have been a lot of late add features into AVG that they have included in recent updates. We are doing our best to keep up with them. I'm meeting in the morning with AVG's product management to (again) reiterate the negative impact of ANY end user pop up / user interaction required.

Sometime this week a number of clients get updated that includes an end user notification to upgrade. This is coming from AVG. We are going to get them to fix that.

The out of box scan optimization notification - we are also working on getting them to fix that. They had originally given us a switch in 8.5 to eliminate all of these things...the behavior for the switch changed in recent builds of AVG9.

On that end, I'm very sorry that these things have slipped through. We are doing our best to keep up with updates from AVG, but as you can imagine, this is a difficult job. My commitment is to keep on top of these things and help us to NOT spend time on managing AV.

I'll get an update out soon on our progress here

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • We have to have the ability to flag the software so that no major upgrades like this go through until we are ready to push it out site by site. You have to have the ability to test prior to AVG releasing this out to mainstream when they think they are ready...

As an MSP I have to assure the stability of my client's environment and prefer to control change vs. have change forced upon us.

As always Jeff you are there on top of things, which makes me feel confident that these issues will be resolved. I do truely appricate your dedication in this product and the improvements that have been implemented along the way.

I like to hear that 9.0 is being release as it's getting great reviews, but it just makes me nervous not to test something before pushing to a live production environment....

Thanks again Jeff and please advise on this thread once you hear more...

Joe Axne

• My NOC is blowing up this morning with calls about the upgrade window. Please let us know via this forum or an email the minute a fix becomes available.

Legacy Posted By Username: jsammons@acropolistech.com
  • I just got this back from Cloud Servcies Depot NOC services, Does anyone have time to write a script for this? Unfortunatly my whole team is tied up in projects and a server deployment so we won't be able to write one. I have ased my NOC to do it, but it's not part of their services so will be surprised if it will get done.

At least this is a temp work around until we have a more formal fix.. If you can assist please share script cretaed on this forum... Thank YOU!!!!!

We have find the way to suppress the AVG notification. Following tweaks may work .
    1) Open Computer (My Computer in XP) and navigate to the place where you installed AVG – by default it should be C: > Program Files > AVG > AVG8. Find out these two files – avgmwdef_us.mht and avgresf.dll – and rename them to anything else. By anything, I mean ANYTHING. This two files basically make up the footer banner, and renaming them will prevent AVG from finding them!
    Or
    2)
    Follow the below steps to disable the appearance of the irritating AVG 8 notification area:
    1. Open Notepad or another plain text editor.
    2. Copy and paste the following four lines from this page into the text editor:
    @echo off
    ren avgmwdef_us.mht avgmwdef_us.mht.bak
    ren avgresf.dll avgresf.dll.bak
    ren avgfree_us.mht avgfree_us.mht.bak
    3. Save the text document containing the above three lines in the location where AVG 8 is installed. By default, this will be C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8. Save the file as something like “AVGNotifyOff.bat”, without the quotes. It really doesn’t matter how you name the file, so long as you can identify it, and it ends in the “.bat” extension, so Windows sees it as a batch file.
    4. Once the file’s saved, close the text editor, navigate in Windows Explorer or My Computer to C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8, locate the batch file document you saved in step 3 above, and you should be able to run the file by pressing and releasing the Enter key. All the batch file does is rename two files with a “.bak” (backup) extension, so the files are still there, it’s just that AVG can’t see them any more, and you should find that the bottom line of the AVG user interface window no longer displays the “Hide notification, button” item.
    Note: Trying to run the batch file more than once is useless unless an AVG program update has replaced the two files which have been renamed. This trick is subject to stop working if AVG releases a program update which uses a different method to display the irritating notification.
    If you should want or need to undo the above trick, all you need to do is navigate to C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8, locate each of the two files with a “.bak” extension, press and release the F2 function key to bring up the rename dialog, press the End key to move the cursor to the end of the filename, then press and release the Backspace key four times to delete the “.bak” extension, then press and release the Enter key to keep the new name. This procedure must be done three times, once for each of the two files with the “.bak” extension. However, you shouldn’t need to undo the trick.
    Thanks & Regards,
    CSD Tech Support

• avg85upgradenotification.jpg
    Here's a copy of my communication to Kaseya support team.

Some of our end users are seeing the pop up requesting for free upgrade.

I just spoke with AVG’s VP. The issue has now been resolved an no new users will see the pop up. If anyone else sees this, please contact me immediately.

I’ll get to root cause after we get through this initial work

Common questions:
    - What happens if an end user upgraded?
    o They are still connected to KES – but they may have inadvertently installed wrong components.
    - Did all of KES customers see this notice?
    o No – this message was drizzled out.
    - Was there something Kaseya could have done to block this from happening?
    o No – this message originates from AVG which is already installed.
    - What can we do to ensure this doesn’t happen again in the future?
    o We are having follow on meeting with AVG to ensure exactly that.

We have to have the ability to flag the software so that no major upgrades like this go through until we are ready to push it out site by site. You have to have the ability to test prior to AVG releasing this out to mainstream when they think they are ready...

As an MSP I have to assure the stability of my client's environment and prefer to control change vs. have change forced upon us.

As always Jeff you are there on top of things, which makes me feel confident that these issues will be resolved. I do truely appricate your dedication in this product and the improvements that have been implemented along the way.

I like to hear that 9.0 is being release as it's getting great reviews, but it just makes me nervous not to test something before pushing to a live production environment....

Thanks again Jeff and please advise on this thread once you hear more...

Joe Axne

Thanks for the confidence. One of the questions raised is why didn't we find this in our testing. The answer is simple - this came as a marketing add after the original AVG9 rolled out and is controlled by the AVG update process (when it gets new updates, this is included). A new update is released now that suppresses this behavior. The testers on the AVG side were completely fine with this behavior - AVG's primary market is consumer and not managed workstations.

What are we doing on the Kaseya side for this? We are working on an automated test suite to verify the functionality of AVG with the many updates they release. Our test team is transforming into developers who write code to test the KES code. We'll be running these automation tests daily. That said, I'm not sure we would have caught this particular problem since everything was running fine and this pop up comes up at random times while the machine is running.

The real way to stop these is to help AVG's focus on the managed workstation. We have proposed new switches that are global to disable all pop ups in AVG. They are planning on rolling that into their own management console as well as the API that Kaseya uses.

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Jeff.Keyes
    "The issue has now been resolved an no new users will see the pop up"

Jeff, I'm confused - so the prompts are stopped now? We don't need to do anything, they will stop on their own?

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonrdavis
  • My clients are still seeing them. What do I need to do? This is really a pain.

Legacy Posted By Username: patrickl78
  • In fact in addition to the information above my clients largely seem to still have v8.5. What is the correct process to roll out the 9.0 from Kaseya? Does this happen automatically or am I supposed to download a file from your site to our server?

Legacy Posted By Username: patrickl78
  • patrickl78

What he said. Just looking at a client, I noticed one machine has version 9.0. The rest of the machines are on 8.5. Are they going to update on their own?

Also to everyone else - to supress our helpdesk calls we just sent out a popup using Kaseya to all of our AVG machines. Here's what we said in case anyone wants to use it as a template:

Hello from Mother!

Many of our AVG antivirus users are reporting popups notifying them that their software is out-of-date, or that their resident shield is disabled. These messages can be safely ignored and closed.

Our antivirus partner is experiencing an issue with notifications built into their software that were timed to start after December 1. They are planning to release an update from version 8 to 9, but have not approved it for general release. Unfortunately they did not remove notifications built into the program asking users to upgrade. Additionally, this is causing false resident shield notifications, giving users the impression they are not protected. These shield notifications are false.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Our antivirus partner assures us that they are working on a fix to stop the notifications as soon as possible. We will keep you informed as we get additional information.

Best regards,
    Mother Network Guardians

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonrdavis