Kaseya Community

Update Succeeds but definitions are not current

• Greetings,

I have quite a few machines that show updates are successful, but do not have the current definitions. There are no error messages in any of the logs. Updating from the lan or the kserver have the same results. It looks like the version is stuck at the version at the time of install. All updates after that show
    UpdateSucceeded @update_result_no_update_found xxx.xx.xx.xxxx

I’ve tried…………
    Uninstall and then the avg removal tool, installs fine but won’t update
    Cleared audit cache reran both audits, still won’t update.
    Deleted .ctf files on target machine (just in case)

I opened a ticket, but could not handle the replies (read between the lines on that) so I figured I would give the forum a shot.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Pete

Legacy Forum Name: Update Succeeds but definitions are not current,
    Legacy Posted By Username: iigy
  • Are you on KES 2.1?

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Coldfirex
    Are you on KES 2.1?

Yup, KES 2.1.0.99 to be exact. Sorry, I should have said that in the original post

• We are having the same issue. We run around chasing outdated definition alerts even though the updates succeed. Would love to have a solution to this...

Legacy Posted By Username: bdawson
  • bdawson
    We are having the same issue. We run around chasing outdated definition alerts even though the updates succeed. Would love to have a solution to this...

Same here. Haven't bothered opening a ticket yet. I will soon if don't discover anything ourselves or read a solution on here.

Legacy Posted By Username: JonJohnston
  • JonJohnston
    Same here. Haven't bothered opening a ticket yet. I will soon if don't discover anything ourselves or read a solution on here.

For one of my clients it was an issue with the firewall not allowing the HTTP connections. There's an article on AVG's site with a list of all of the addresses that need to be allowed.

Have you tried manually running the update from the avgui.exe on the client station to see if it succeeds from there?

Legacy Posted By Username: alexromp
  • I've heard of this happening in a few different places- typically where the endpoint is requiring a reboot. It has proven difficult to chase down internally here (seems like everything works fine inhouse for us... Smile )

If you have this happening, please open a ticket on a box where it is reproduceable so we can hunt it down.

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • I have this problem. Additionally, when you try to update from the client console, it will state "server access denied." If the agent is set to receive updates from the kserver and it is successfully checking in, how is that possible? We configured the firewalls based on the below suggestion, but it still hasn't worked.

The official support response was:

1. Please review the below kb article to configure the ports.

http://kb.kaseya.com/article.asp?article=296848&p=11855

2. Any machine that sources updates from the internet need to have access to download from theb following URLs (if updates are sourced from a LAN share, then the file server needs to download from these locations): -

- update.avg.com
    - update.grisoft.com
    - backup.avg.cz
    - backup.grisoft.cz
    - files2.grisoft.cz
    - files2.avg.cz
    - download.grisoft.cz
    - download.avg.cz
    - akamai.grisoft.cz
    - akamai.grisoft.cz.edgesuite.net
    - akamai.avg.cz
    - akamai.avg.cz.edgesuite.net
    - akamai.grisoft.com
    - akamai.avg.com
    - akamai.grisoft.com.edgesuite.net
    - akamai.avg.com.edgesuite.net
    - *.akamai.net (there can be almost anything instead of "*", e.g.
    a962.g.akamai.net)

You may also need to add the following AVG services: -

- avgam.exe
    - avgemc.exe
    - avgiproxy.exe
    - avgnsx.exe
    - avgtray.exe
    - avgui.exe
    - avgupd.exe

Legacy Posted By Username: gdanner
  • alexromp
    For one of my clients it was an issue with the firewall not allowing the HTTP connections. There's an article on AVG's site with a list of all of the addresses that need to be allowed.

Have you tried manually running the update from the avgui.exe on the client station to see if it succeeds from there?

No I haven't tried manually running the update. I haven't considered it that big of a deal. Kaseya thinks the program defs. are out of date even though they show as updated between 1 and 4 hours ago, so it would seem something is happening.
    If you perform a manual update it always shows as up-to-date when complete.

As for the firewall, it has been happening on machines that are not running any software firewall or behind anything except for a cable modem.

Legacy Posted By Username: JonJohnston
  • I've found out more here.

Some releases of updates / signatures are drizzled out to AVG's customer base. This means that based upon a unique client identifier, AVG does a match up to decide which of the workstations will receive the program update such that all 80M workstations don't get the same program update at the same time. In KES, we assume that all workstations must have the very latest version which is incorrect. I'll get that fixed up in future versions.

How to tell if the client is current?
    If the version number is close, then it may be one of those updates that is drizzled out.

If you look in the logs, it will say that the last update found no new updates.

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Thanks for the Info Jeff.

That is the exact scenario I have on some of my clients.
    Looking forward to getting it "fixed up in future versions"

Pete