Kaseya Community

Reboots without warnings on installs and uninstalls

• Hey all,

Anyone have issues with KES install or uninstall rebooting machines without telling you, and when the "Reboot the computer after installation if needed" checkbox NOT checked?

I've seen it happen a couple of times on workstations during install.

I just had it happen on a server during an uninstall.

Very uncool.

thoughts?

____
    From the event log:

Source: USER32
    Date: 9/24/2009 4:35:42 PM
    Event ID: 1074
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Classic
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: SERVERNAME.DOMAIN.local
    Description:
    The process C:\Windows\TEMP\setup.exe (SERVERNAME) has initiated the restart of computer SERVERNAME on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Legacy API shutdown
    Reason Code: 0x80070000
    Shutdown Type: restart
    Comment: A computer restart is required in order to finish the installation procedure.

rj

Legacy Forum Name: Reboots without warnings on installs and uninstalls,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rbjsea
  • Yep sure have,

Uninstalled KES from a Windows Server 2003, machine rebooted without warning....

as you can imagine not happy jan.

Reboot the computer after installation if needed was unticked.....I MADE SURE it was due to the nature of the server, knowing that if it did reboot, then id have a thousand angry phone calls.

Well guess what....i got them !!

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Commander
  • OK I submitted a support ticket - I'll post back here with what they have to tell me!

• I've had this happen on uninstalls also, I believe it only happens when KES shows reboot needed, if you uninstall while it is in that state regardless of the reboot option its going to reboot.

Legacy Posted By Username: cnwicsurrett
  • Anyone get a reply from support, I just rebooted a server by uninstalling KES again... it was not in a "need a reboot" state. You think I would learn from previous experience. Although looking at the KES uninstall it shows /noreboot but I wonder if that is even a valid switch. Can we get this fixed ASAP?

• From Kaseya support:

---------------------------------------------------------
    Author: Murali.Rangineni
    Date: 04:43:51 30-Sep-09
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Kaseya Support

The reboot is due to KES uninstallation.Normally it will not reboot.most likley you have created any script to do so or modified the AVG script to do this and update the ticket with the outcome.

Regards
    Kaseya Support
    Author:
    Date: 03:26:39 30-Sep-09
    When running the KES uninstall it will reboot servers at will. We have had more than a few production servers go down due to this. Any word on this issue?

• I feel your pain on these sort of Level 1 answers. Most of the them are ridiculous.

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • cnwicsurrett
    From Kaseya support:
    The reboot is due to KES uninstallation.Normally it will not reboot.most likley you have created any script to do so or modified the AVG script to do this and update the ticket with the outcome.

I read this three times, and still don't understand what the author is trying to say.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • The official answer is AVG 8.5 has a bug that will ignore the /NOREBOOT switch on uninstall.

• cnwicsurrett
    The official answer is AVG 8.5 has a bug that will ignore the /NOREBOOT switch on uninstall.

well best they fix it then.

Legacy Posted By Username: Commander
  • cnwicsurrett
    The official answer is AVG 8.5 has a bug that will ignore the /NOREBOOT switch on uninstall.

Thanks for providing that tip. I will have to watch out for that.

Did you find that out on your own? Or via escalation from the ticket you submitted?

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • E-mail conversation with Jeff K.

• Perhaps instructions should have been:

The reboot is due to the KES uninstall script. Normally it will not reboot and most likely there was a modification to the script to do so. Please review the script and change as needed. Update the ticket with the outcome.

Legacy Posted By Username: ellis_ac
  • [QUOTE=ellis_ac;47872]Perhaps instructions should have been:

The reboot is due to the KES uninstall script. Normally it will not reboot and most likely there was a modification to the script to do so. Please review the script and change as needed. Update the ticket with the outcome.[/QUOTE]

As it turns out the information was wrong to begin with, the KES uninstall script does force a reboot.

• Ok, for everyone who was interested, here's the word from on high Smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Author: andrew.ellis
    Date: 10:16:09 6-Oct-09
    Word from AVG is that since AVG v9 is being released that there will be no more dev support for a dead product. This means we all will have to wait for v9 release this week and then for dev to finish the install script. There has been a total code rewrite in AVG v9. I will close this ticket for now but will let you know if there is any info from dev.

So we just need to wait to go through the headache of a completeny new version to get this bug fixed!!