Kaseya Community

Skip AV scan during backups

• Hello. Looking for a little help...

We are *almost* ready to make the jump from Symantec to KES. I was reviewing KEs with my staff today, and they had a few questions. This is question #1...

We had some Backup Exec time window problems (taking too long). There is a setting in Symantec Antivirus v10.x and Symantec Endpoint Protection v11.x where you can configure the software to skip AV scans of files when they are being touched for backup purposes. Using this feature, they were able to significantly reduce the time for some backup jobs, and eliminate a time window problems.

I don't see any option like that in KES. Can anyone tell me:
    1) is there such an option in existing KES? If so, where?
    2) if not, any chance such a feature will be coming soon with KES 3?

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: Skip AV scan during backups,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • Same question here!

There is no such option in it 'right now'. Would like to see this though, very much.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: JMS01
  • Be sure to send this in as a feature request to Kaseya.

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • I asked this question in one of my Support Tickets and the answer from support was no. I do not know if there are plans for it in the future (KES 2.1)but we would like to see it as well. However I will say I installed it on a Server of ours recently running Backup Exec 12.5 and SEP 11. After removing SEP 11 and installing KES 2.0 the backup time dropped from over 6 hours at night to 4 hours. And we did have the "Do not scan during backup" setting on in SEP 11. Hope this helps.

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonp
  • Thanks to all for the responses. I did submit a ticket, we'll see what happens.

jasonp -> One difference *might* be that SEP scans every file, whereas the default config for KES is to only scan all infectabel file types. So KES is not scanning the same number of files as SEP.

Lloyd

• @lwolf: Did you ever get a good answer? We just switched from McAfee 8.5 to KES 2.1 on three SBS2003 servers running BE 12 and the backup job times have increased by about 50%. KES is scanning the default list of file extensions and the Backup Exec AOFO Store directories are excluded. I'd love to hear any nuggets of wisdom that might have been shared with you on ways avoid KES dragging down backup speed.

Legacy Posted By Username: WingSwept Support
  • So I just found Jeff's handy post here: http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/94/t/9271.aspx

for scripts to enable and disable the Resident Shield active scanning. I made short command files that just uses "kasavcmd -setFileMonitorEnable 0" to disable and re-enable the active scanning and then set them to run as Pre and Post commands in the BE job. I haven't tested it yet but I expect this will solve the backup speed issues. I'd love to have a way that didn't involve temporarily disabling the AV though....

Legacy Posted By Username: WingSwept Support
  • WinSwept,

On the Define Profiles->Resident Shield screen Are you scanning All Files? Or Infectable files and Selected Document Types?

I can think of one problem with the (cool) scripting idea that you mentioned above.... If you have a KES Alert for Antivirus Disabled, you will probably get an alert/alarm/email every night, whenever the script disables Resident Shield.

Lloyd