Kaseya Community

AVG GUI shows Not Active for System Tools

• Yesterday one of my onsite Field Engineers reported that, while onsite at a client, he noticed the AVG icon was displayed the yellow exclamation mark.

When you open the AVG GUI, the icon on the Overview screen labeled "System Tools" has a red X and says "Not active".

I checked a handful of other machinesw ith KES installed, and none of them have the System Tools icon displayed at all.

Note that while working on a different support ticket, K support had me install a beta version of AVG on this machine, as well as a beta version of the new KES service. Since then, I have updated my K server to the KES2.1 Gold release.

Ultimately, I need to get the AVG system tray icon to NOT show the exclamation mark.

Any idea why the AVG GUI is showing System Tools on this machine, but not on other machines?

Any idea why System Tools showing Not Active?

I have submiited a ticket to K support, Ticket ID 189621, and included a screen capture.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: AVG GUI shows Not Active for System Tools,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • I have never seen it. If this is a single machine, have you tried an uninstall and reinstall?

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Lyod,

We have removed the system tools feature with KES2.1 Gold build. An unistall and reinstall should remove the system tools .

Thanks
    Meghana

Legacy Posted By Username: meghana.subramanian@kaseya.com
  • Meghana,

Thanks. Am I required to reboot inbetween the uninstall and reinstall?

This is a server, and I have limited reboot windows.

• Lyod,

Please try to do a reinstall(without uninstall) by turning off the reboot required feature and see whether it uninstalls the feature. If not do an uninstall , and at this time we have a bug with AVG as it reboots automatically each time with uninstall. So highly recommend you to try, just reinstall first before doing an uninstall that requires reboot

Thanks
    Meghana.

• Thanks. I will probably wait to try until this weekend, when I would be abel to reboot, if necessary.

Lloyd

• Meghana,
    What KES 2.1 beta version(s) mistakenly installed the AVG System Tools? I'd like to check all my KES installs and fix any that have it...

meghana.subramanian@kaseya.com
    Lyod,

We have removed the system tools feature with KES2.1 Gold build. An unistall and reinstall should remove the system tools .

Thanks
    Meghana

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • Mike,

By default , system tools option was off by AVG. AVG turned on that feature as deafult "on" with the latest AVG SP2 release.We removed that feature in our KES_2_1_Gold_44470 . Hope this helps

Thanks
    Meghana

• Meghana,
    I have discovered machines with the System module showing under AVGUI.exe. Some questions for you:

1) does it use any additional resources (e.g. a service)?

2) how do we get rid of it? I assume we need to go to the KES Install/Remove screen and reinstall it?

3) how do we find what machines have this unwanted component installed? Is there a registry entry we could check for? Maybe a running process?

Thanks,
    -Mike

• 1. As far as I know, it doesn't use any resources
    2. getting rid of it requires a reinstall (rather..running install in maintenance mode)
    3. I'm not sure other than sniffing the AVGINSTALL.LOG... We really didn't plumb for the system tools but didn't consider them a problem either.

In my opinion, the system tools seem harmless (and I'm sure someone here will prove me wrong...but then...that is why I put it all out there. Smile )

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes

• In my opinion, the system tools seem harmless (and I'm sure someone here will prove me wrong...but then...that is why I put it all out there. Smile )

I don't see having System Tools installed as being a big problem. My issue was that, the AVG system tray icon was showing the yellow exclamation mark, and when I got into the AVG GUI it had an exclamation mark for System Tools.

I just want the warnings/exclamation marks to go away. I have no problem having System Tools installed - as long as the warnings/exclamation can somehow go away.

Lloyd

• Jeff - why would the AVG GUI display a warning for the System Tools? It has no running components, other than possibly when you launch the tool within the GUI, right? There is no ability to disable System Tools in the GUI (unlike most of the other modules - which can be disabled), so why would the GUI be warning us of anything related to System Tools.

lwolf
    ..the AVG system tray icon was showing the yellow exclamation mark, and when I got into the AVG GUI it had an exclamation mark for System Tools.Lloyd

• Hi Jeff - I checked the Task Manager process list on a machine that has the unexpected/unwanted AVG System Tools - there is a process named AVGSYSTX.exe that is consuming memory and CPU. Windows Explorer shows it as "AVG SysTools Service".

While it might not impair performance on fast machines, I'm going to remove it wherever I find it amongst my agents. The more layers to a piece of software, the more resources it consumes and potential for bugs IMO...

Hopefully AVG is done surprising you/us with unwanted components that get installed?