Kaseya Community

Recover unused licenses?

• Hi, folks-

When I run a report on our KES installs (Reports -> Security -> Configuration Report), I see that we have a total of 384 installed copies.

But when I try to install new copies, (Security -> Install/Remove), I find that we have 500 licenses in use (Applied Licenses: 500 Applied License Pool: 0 Partials. 0 Unused).

I'm positive that we do not have 500 active copies of KES installed- I think that 384 is the correct number and that the missing licenses are probably from rebuilds and/or retired machines.

How can I recover the missing 116 licenses? Do I have to wait an entire year for them to become available again?

Thanks,

-Simon

Legacy Forum Name: Recover unused licenses?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: sbinder
  • I am also keen on finding out what people are doing to recover licenses and if something different needs to be done for different situations.

For example a machine is formatted and rebuilt with the same name - both will have a kaseya agent license and both will have a KES license but the original will need to be freed up. And, because that machine is unavailable KES cannot be cleanly uninstalled. The license must be administratively recovered. - HOW??

When a KES install is attempted and it fails, it shows as Install Failed (reason). Does KES take up a license for each failed install and how can these licenses be recovered. I do not want to have to delete agents and refresh the database for these instances.

Currently, we do remove kaseya agents for machines that have shown as offline for some time and then do a database refresh to regain KES licenses. This works if we do not mind losing the historical kaseya data for the agent.

Any ideas on how to free up licenses is appreciated.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • I have had this issue for some time now.
    The only way that I have found a way around it is to check the hidden menu under the KES Tab > install menu. To get to this, go to KES > Install/Remove - Hover your mouse over the white space on the right of the OPTIONS button towards the top of the frame. This will give you an overview of the licences used. We ALWAYS have issues with licences 'vanishing' and the finding them under 'OTHER' in this hidden menu.

To date, the only way I can free up this issue is to send a ticket to Kaseya every few days until they are all cleared out, and then wait until the next KES deployment (when it happens all over again).

Hope this helped.

Legacy Posted By Username: luke.bragg
  • I also used to have this issue, but then I upgraded to KES 2.1 and I haven't had it since (maybe Jeff got it fixed in 2.1?).

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • I'm still in 2.0... How does one get 2.1? I don't see it for download?

Legacy Posted By Username: Matt.Conlon
  • email Jeff.Keyes@kaseya.com and ask to be on the KES 2.1 beta.

• boudj
    email Jeff.Keyes@kaseya.com and ask to be on the KES 2.1 beta.

Is Jeff on vacation? I havent seen him much on here in a while. Sad

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Matt.Conlon
    I'm still in 2.0... How does one get 2.1? I don't see it for download?

ftp://ftp.kaseya.com/public/Pre-Release/EndPointSecurity/KES2.1/

I Don't know I'm i'm supposed to tell anyone i know that...

Legacy Posted By Username: droytrobb
  • If you go ahead and install the beta, make it a point to email Jeff and let him know that you're installing it, and which version of the beta you are installing.

• Here's the last post I sent out....IF you install, please email me so I can keep you up to date with announcements...like the following...

Also, we’ll be having a refresh to shortly (Currently targeting next week)...It has the alerts fixed

Oh – one more problem….I need to have you download the latest AVG installer and place it on your server (as our installer is a bit old).

http://www.avg.com/filedir/inst/avg_ipw_stf_all_85_339a1525.exe

Rename to AVGINSTALL.EXE
    Place here: C:\Kaseya\WebPages\ManagedFiles\VSAHiddenFiles\av

-----------------------------------------

Action Required for KES 2.1 Production Folks – time to upgrade.

That time is here again. We’ve made some structural changes under the covers and have gone through rounds of testing on this build. Let me give you the news.

First - The bad news:

These beta builds still have some rough spots AND….we’ll for sure have more updated builds (~2 weeks) that we’ll want you to install.

Rough Areas:
    - We have some problems in the alerts. I’ve seen a couple of cases where we aren’t notifying in the right instances. Let us know if you see similar problems
    - Vault Sync. In KES 2.0, we used to sync the entire contents of the virus vault with each update. On some machines with a lot of vault entries, this could spam the system with LOTS of entries. We’ve partially changed this functionality such that the full vault sync happens only when our service connects to AVG (such as on a reboot). The changes are sent up once the service is connected….but in this build we are ignoring those events. What this means is that the vault contents on the server and the endpoint may not match (matching for sure after each reboot of the endpoint).
    - Version detection. In some instances after AVG version update, we don’t report the correct signature versions. (You can see this by looking at the AVG UI and comparing it to the VSA UI). Let us know if you see similar problems

Second - The good news:
    I’ve gotten approval to include the “Identity Protection” component from AVG into KES 2.1. This component is rebranded from a recent acquisition of Sana Security. IDP is a behavioral engine that looks at what the processes DO rather than a signature that identifies it. This allows a whole new layer of protection. We’ll enable it on the installation options page in future builds.

- Read the release notes & take a peek at the quick start
    - Remember that this will shutdown the KServer during install
    - We’ve had some spurious problems on install when others are using the UI during install…so…try to keep folks off of the webserver during install.
    - Submit tickets for normal problems (mark them with KES 2.1 beta). Email me on critical problems or the ones above that we are paying special attention to. (Jeff.Keyes@kaseya.com)
    - IF you’ve not done so already, drop me an email and let me know that you have it installed in test or production environment.

The new KES v2.1.0 build is available on:

ftp://ftp.kaseya.com/Public/Pre-Release/EndPointSecurity/KES2.1

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Hi Jeff

Please check your private messages.

Thanks

Legacy Posted By Username: reseau
  • Is this release completely ready for production?
    i.e an we deploy in our commercial enviroment?

Will it push out a complete new instal of AVG over existing client installs? Won't this require a reboot?

Legacy Posted By Username: aussie_flyer
  • KES 2.1 is on the server....it uses the same version of AVG as KES 2.0

• I'm having the same problem. I have 21 licenses in the "other" category on the hidden menu. Will installing the KES 2.1 beta solve this problem or do I have to do something else to recover the licenses?

Legacy Posted By Username: rtsmith
  • In KES 2.1, I believe we've solved the root cause of the issue that created those. Meanwhile, you'll need to log a ticket to get support to fix up those licenses

Jeff