Kaseya Community

To KES or not to KES?

• Hey fellow MSPs and Admins:

We're currently not using KES for our clients but want to move them to it after sufficient testing. Right now they all have their own solutions. Trnd Micro, Symantec, what have you.

After going through the forum I must admin I'm VERY ify about switching to KES. With the slew of issues people seem to be having with push problems, reporting issues, monitoring, etc. Semms like I'll just make more work for us, while making my clients mad at me.

What do you people out there think that are using it?

Legacy Forum Name: To KES or not to KES?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: TNITG
  • No replies? Wow. So this isn't as much a forum as it is a knowledge base I am gathering.

Fffoooooorrruuummmmm. Smile

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: TNITG
  • Check your private messages and you'll see one from me!

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • We have had mixed reviews with KES. For some of our clients we have had 0 issues. For others it does seem to create more work for us. What I have noticed is that for smaller networks (20 agents or less) KES has been great. On larger networks is where we have experienced multiple issues. I would suggest performing multiple tests before deploying on a full scale.

Have a good day.

Legacy Posted By Username: infinityinc
  • We have deployed 700+ KES installs at various clients and yes, we have run into small issues. The key is to update your production system the second a new release comes out. We have been running 2.0 for quite a while and yes, there are a handful of problems. But out of those 700+ machines, we might only have about 10 computers or so that are having profile issues, update issues, 'removed by user' errors, etc. The rest is running without issue.

Could we manage 700+ installs manually for each client if they were to use Symantec or Etrust, or whatever? ABSOLUTELY NO!

The key is managability from a central location. And KES (or Kaseya in general) is definitely the answer. Without it we could not have done it.

Try it first, talk with you account manager and get a free trial.

Legacy Posted By Username: ddenhoed
  • We currently are not using KES. The major reason we haven't dove into it is Kaseya's pricing.

Licenses are sold in packs of 100. So for example if I had 50 workstations and 1 exchange server I would have to purchase a total of 200 licenses. 100 workstations and 100 exchange server licenses.

I find it odd to sell exchange licenses in packs of 100. On average we have 1 exchange server for every 50 workstations.

Legacy Posted By Username: pbrophy
  • I don't believe that is how licensing is done for exchange.

Legacy Posted By Username: Richard Williams
  • Licensing does not work that way. You buy 100 KES licenses and it comes with 100 Exchange licenses. Buy 500 KES, you get also 500 Exchange.

So if you have 2 clients with 50 machines (server or workstation doesn't matter). You have a total of 100 machines. You can buy 1 pack of 100 and apply it to both clients for exchange and desktops/servers.

Pricing is definitely a little confusing sometimes, but your account manager can definitely help you out with that.

Legacy Posted By Username: ddenhoed
  • Actually, it looks like KES licensing is changing. Please contact your sales rep and get details. You will probably find it a whole lot more palatable!

• ddenhoed
    Licensing does not work that way. You buy 100 KES licenses and it comes with 100 Exchange licenses. Buy 500 KES, you get also 500 Exchange.

So if you have 2 clients with 50 machines (server or workstation doesn't matter). You have a total of 100 machines. You can buy 1 pack of 100 and apply it to both clients for exchange and desktops/servers.

Pricing is definitely a little confusing sometimes, but your account manager can definitely help you out with that.

The way I explained it above is exactly the way my account manager explained it to me. I'm going to have to clarify this.

Thanks Guys!

Legacy Posted By Username: pbrophy
  • Hi Everyone,
    I'm one of the Account Managers for North American MSPs.

I wanted to clarify a couple things.

1) Exchange licenses cover endpoints, not Exchange servers which is why we originally added an equal number of exchange licenses to the endpoint licenses.

2)We are close to officially releasing a new licensing model where you can purchase these two license types separately (and at a lower price of $8.00 per license). This way you'll be able to more precisely acquire the licenses you need and forgo the ones you don't. This change is not yet official but we have stopped selling them in the old way.

Thanks,
    Toby

Legacy Posted By Username: Tvanroo
  • 1. We are using KES - a *LOT* of KES. We've been with it since KES 1.2, and have had our share of frustrations and tribulations (thinking back to the AVG 8.0 SP2 debacle). That said, I will second the point made earlier in the thread, except that instead of 750 nodes, 1500 of our managed nodes also have KES, and it would take much more time and effort to manage those 1500 nodes with a more "standalone" product. KES is definitely the "only game in town" as far as I can see, for actually managed MSP AV.

2. Licensing: I have a very recent email from our sales rep stating that the licensing for "endpoint" and "exchange" is being de-bundled (hurray!) This is especially good since we have not used even a single Exchange license that we've had to buy these past 2 years, but we've used all of our endpoint licenses. Our next purchase will not include the Exchange part. (As someone else pointed out, services like Appriver give email AV *and* spam protection, and take the processing load off of the mail server and put it in the "cloud" where it belongs Smile )

Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew Bartels
  • I agree with Matthew about the power of centally managing 1000 + KES agents from a central console. I've been on KES since 1.2 and found that 1.2 and 1.5 basically sucked (the management piece). However, it still was better than having to managed each client individually. Now since 2.0 (and 2.1 only improves on 2.0) I will now say the product is improved and moved from "sucks" to "not bad!". If Kaseya keeps moving this in the right direction (meaning Jeff stays on board) then I think the product will become a must have by version 3.0.

Also, at $8 a license it now becomes a viable profit center for us.

Conclusion: As long as K keeps developing this product (and it sure looks like they will) I rate it as a must have. It'll make you money by reselling it at 2-3 times what you pay, and it'll also make you money by reducing costs related to AV Software management.

And since I'm a Kaseya Supreme Master (9th degree!) my word is law!

• Good feedback guys...and yes...I'm going to be working on this for some time.

Glad to hear we are moving into the "not bad" category... Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • I agree that the central management is key, and also the integration into the standard reports we send our clients. I must say though that I am REALLY getting tired of having to make lists and force reboots on those in the "reboot required" status (we're on 2.0 so no reboot now button) and to reinstall/reboot on those in the "Profile failed to load" status every single weekend. Jeff I appreciate your efforts, but this thing has just got to get more stable - right now it is wasting LOTS of our time.

Legacy Posted By Username: SlipKid21