Kaseya Community

AVG for Exchange

• I can't find an answer for this anywhere.

For those of you using the MS Exchange add-on in KES, does it filter spam emails? I understand it will protect users from virus and spyware attachments at the mailbox level but does it block spam messages with no attachments? I am trying to figure out if the add-on is a replacement for a product such as Symantec Email Security for Exchange or a barracuda spam filter.

Thanks for the help.

Legacy Forum Name: AVG for Exchange,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian
  • Nope. We uninstalled Trend Micro Messaging Security before installing KES and the spam started POURING in ;P. Something to keep in mind.

It gave us an excuse to try Exchange Defender though, which we're loving so far.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: smartdolphins
  • smartdolphins
    Nope. We uninstalled Trend Micro Messaging Security before installing KES and the spam started POURING in ;P. Something to keep in mind.

It gave us an excuse to try Exchange Defender though, which we're loving so far.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it wasn't a full replacement but couldn't find a definite answer anywhere.

• Exchange 2003 has some relatively good spam protection built-in, coupled with using RBLs it actually works really well ....

Legacy Posted By Username: TBK Consulting
  • I'm working on getting us the Anti-SPAM component for Exchange. I'm not clear on when I'll get that in at the moment. I'm curious as to the interest level here...so if you are interested...sound off!

Smile

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • We use an antispam product from Exclaimer, as we can use it for a lot of other purposes within an Exchange environment. Personally my preference is to use a different manufacturer for the AV/Spam products on the Exchnage Server to that used on the Desktops. That way we get 2 different chances at catching Viruses/Spam etc.

Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • Hi Jeff,

Spam, Spyware and AV all go hand in hand.
    I am keen to see SPAM as part of the Excahnge offering.

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • Same here. Would love to see KES as an alternative for spam filtration.

• I'd prefer to see anti-spam at the client level ASAP. Anti-spam for email is a must have component of a complete desktop security solution.

I replaced McAfee with KES for one POP3 user recently and he complained about the lack of an anti-spam component almost immediately.

Legacy Posted By Username: Alan M
  • Suggestion: I resale Appriver.com for Spam Prevention. Their pricing is excellent ($.74/mailbox I believe), they don't undercut you to a client, and spam filtering does not occur on the server (less processing happening on the server).

Just a thought.

Boudj

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • From what I understand only the AVG Email Server Edition has a server side spam filter.
    AVG for SBS comes with Email Server but does not offer the server side spam filter.

Legacy Posted By Username: pnorman