Kaseya Community

avg tray icon enable?

• I am unable to figure out how to display the system tray icon for avg. I am running sp1 2008 and endpoint security 2.0.

All I've found is the ability to turn on/off kes through the agent icon.

Is there a way to display the avg icon in the sys tray or am I misunderstanding?

I know there are a lot of other issues with kes right now and the whole 8.5 issue but if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Legacy Forum Name: avg tray icon enable?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: iamnet
  • In the KES install screen there is an options button at the top. This allows you to select, amoungst other things, whether or not to show the AVG System Tray Icon.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • The system tray is merely a component of AVG that runs / not running.

In the installation options page you can set the visibility of it as an option. Assuming you don't want to install just to show the icon.....you could also add the program "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe" to start up automatically.

If folks request this, we could add a little something to turn this on/off....but thus far, I've not heard lots of requests for it nor super good business case for it. (I love saying that...seems like I'll either get a lot of responses to tell me why this is the next coolest feature...or dead silence...which validates my point). Smile

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Jeff.Keyes
    The system tray is merely a component of AVG that runs / not running.

In the installation options page you can set the visibility of it as an option. Assuming you don't want to install just to show the icon.....you could also add the program "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe" to start up automatically.

If folks request this, we could add a little something to turn this on/off....but thus far, I've not heard lots of requests for it nor super good business case for it. (I love saying that...seems like I'll either get a lot of responses to tell me why this is the next coolest feature...or dead silence...which validates my point). Smile

Jeff

We would like the ability to turn it off to minimize system tray clutter and to prevent confusion. Our customers can already suspend KES scans through the Kaseya icon so there's no need for the AVG icon. It also helps us keep the branding of our service as clean as we can.

Thanks,

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • I agree with Michael. We would prefer not to advertise AVG as our anti-virus solution. We would prefer to remove AVG from the system tray of client devices.

Legacy Posted By Username: Karen_Sadler
  • Hell, better than that... I'd prefer to have my own AV icon on the tray!

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Is there a way to enable the tray icon via a script? Some of our customers want a tray icon, others do not.

Thanks,

TITaN

Legacy Posted By Username: TITaN
  • In the installation options, you can set whether to show the system tray or not. Once installed, we don't have an option to hide / show outside of reinstalling or running a script to re-enable.

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Do you know if this will be a feature that you include in the next couple release of KES?

Legacy Posted By Username: TITaN
  • Not only that, do you think we'll be able to customize the icon with one of our own?

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Jeff.Keyes
    In the installation options, you can set whether to show the system tray or not. Once installed, we don't have an option to hide / show outside of reinstalling or running a script to re-enable.

Jeff

Do you have a script we could use to enable/disable the system tray? Some of our clients want/need to tray.

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • I would like to have standard KES installation options (for us this would have the tray icon disabled - but others may want it enabled)
    And if any machine needs something different than the standard I would prefer to handle these via script.

The idea of having to change installation options on a per install basis, then have to change things back to your standard seems backwards. Especially when we have a perfectly good scripting tool that could do the job.

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • The tray icon can easily be enabled or disabled post-installation as it is simply a registry key.

Just create a script which adds or edits the following reg key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\avgtray

type = Reg_SZ

value = "c:\program files\avg\avg8\avgtray.exe

Legacy Posted By Username: leeevans
  • leeevans
    The tray icon can easily be enabled or disabled post-installation as it is simply a registry key.

Just create a script which adds or edits the following reg key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\avgtray

type = Reg_SZ

value = "c:\program files\avg\avg8\avgtray.exe

I tried using this but it wasnt working.
    REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v avgtray /t REG_DWORD /d "c:\program files\avg\avg8\avgtray.exe"
    What are you using?

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • I am newer to KES, so I do not know about past versions. But with KES v2.1, you can configure whether or not the icon displays as one of the install options.

While it may be possible to manually disable the icon (ie. via script), that may not be a good idea, as that settign would get overwritten during reinstalls at a later time.

Just a thought.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf