Kaseya Community

KES Console Showing Bad Information

• I have more than a few agents that show the install status of KES "AVG Removed By User"... yet KES/AVG is still installed and still shows up in the Add/Remove after a software audit. Confused

I'm finding it harder and harder to trust what the KES console is telling me. This is on KES 2.1, anyone else notice this happening?

Legacy Forum Name: KES Console Showing Bad Information,
    Legacy Posted By Username: cnwicsurrett
  • i am seeing this too...
    Jeff, any thoughts?

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: nick.williams6@gmail.com
  • I am also seeing this. Mostly on servers. But workstations as well..

Legacy Posted By Username: petey
  • I've also seen 1 agent with a green check mark but AVG was no where to be found on the system.

• We are also seeing this. Over 50% of the machines we have deployed are saying AVG Uninstalled by user. It has not been uninstalled and definitely not by the users. Many others are saying reboot required. After the reboot many change to uninstalled by user. This is just within the last couple days. What gives??!!

Also what causes a "reboot required" condition? If this is going to be an ongoing need, I sure wish Kaseya would put a "reboot now" button on the KES screen to save having to make long lists of which machines to deploy the reboot script on.

Legacy Posted By Username: SlipKid21
  • Your wish has been granted in KES 2.1,there is a re-boot now button

Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • We've been getting a lot of "AVG Remove By User" when trying to do new installs, and we're on KES 2.0. I was just thinking of opening a ticket, because this is getting annoying. We can't seem to make AVG stick anymore.

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • I just submitted a ticket, i'll let you know what Kaseya support comes back with.

• AVG Removed by User - 2 big areas

1. (On KES 2.0 installs). The OS wasn't up to the right patch level, the installer would kick off and then bomb out without the right error code. When the service goes to connect, it believes that AVG got installed and then finds out that it isn't there.

We corrected this in KES 2.1 by adding an OS requirements check. If the minimum requirements aren't met, we disable the ability to install. No additional steps are necessary.

2. (On all environments). AVG ran into a problem during upgrade of the program between AVG 8.5 227 and 230. As part of that process, it incorrectly delete PART of the program files. This left AVG in a state where it is not completely enabled.

We have worked with AVG on this bug and they have corrected the way that they do the updates such that they won't double delete files to be updated during the update process.

If you find a lot of machines are in this state, please log a ticket and get over to us. The frequency we've seen of this is very rare, but in one environment, there were a significant number of machines affected. The short term resolution is to reinstall on that endpoint.

A side note. This is a serious issue to me - by far the most serious that I've experienced while in my relationship with AVG. I'm working with them to ensure that we never run into that issue (or anything like it) again. If you've been affected by this issue, I'm personally interested and would like to get an email from you (jeff.keyes@kaseya.com)

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Jeff.Keyes

A side note. This is a serious issue to me - by far the most serious that I've experienced while in my relationship with AVG. I'm working with them to ensure that we never run into that issue (or anything like it) again. If you've been affected by this issue, I'm personally interested and would like to get an email from you (jeff.keyes@kaseya.com)

Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you for taking a personal interest in this issue, I've sent you can e-mail with an example of my issues.

• So far my only response from support is to reinstall AVG to fix this. The only problem is I can't confirm which installs are good and which are not. I'm not sure what AVG did during this last update but I have around 30% of all my agents showing "AVG Removed by User" but also showing AVG8.5 installed in a software audit. On top of that I created scripts to try and figure out which installs are bad and found conflicting data from workstations the console shows are Installed and Not Installed.

Example:

PC1 shows "AVG Removed by User" in the KES console
    PC1 shows "AVG8.5" as installed in the last(up to date) software audit.
    PC1 does not have the same EXE's as PC2 in the AVG\AVG8 folder.
    PC2 shows a green check mark as installed in KES console
    PC2 is missing AVG8.5 in the software audit.

Thanks,
    Charles Surrett

• Charles,

In our environment we had a ton of these as well. Last weekend I forced a reinstall, and then a reboot on any that were in this condition, or would not update. In some cases I had to do so several times, and in just a couple I had to do a manual removal first to get it to "take". Mine are all acting correctly now.

This was absolutely a big deal though, I tested some that were in the "AVG removed by user" condition, and they were in the partially installed state Jeff describes - EICAR test virus just went right through - no A/V protection whatsoever.

Jeff - thanks again for your diligence and for taking an interest in these forums. I wish other Kaseyans would do likewise. I suspect that most users are like myself in that when they have an issue - they search through these forums first hoping to self-resolve rather than deal with support. Which should be as good for Kaseya as it is for us.

Legacy Posted By Username: SlipKid21
  • After upgrading to the newest KES 2.1 build from 2.1.0.82 to 2.1.0.87 and repushing AVG this morning, everything seems to be reporting correctly to the KES console.

Likewise I have to give kudos to Jeff and Nick @ Kaseya, they were on the ball with getting this fixed.

• Re-pushing AVG? To how many machines?

I worry about how much disruption I'm going to have to cause among a couple dozen client sites every time AVG goes caddy-wumpus...

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • GreyDuck
    Re-pushing AVG? To how many machines?

I worry about how much disruption I'm going to have to cause among a couple dozen client sites every time AVG goes caddy-wumpus...

I only pushed to those that were belly-up from the AVG update, which was still around 200-300 agents. I'm still waiting for the rest 1000ish agents to update to the newest KES build to see if they need a repush also... as of right now it does not look like it.

The only advise I have for everyone is to setup a local install source for pushing KES, it really speeds up installs and reinstalls at that.