Kaseya Community

High Memory Usage on KasAVSrv.exe

• First off I just want to say I have noticed this on every computer with KES installed. We have a desktop has been up for about two days and according to task manager KasAVSrv.exe is using ~100mb memory and has had ~124 million page faults. This is the highest memory usage and page faults of any process. I have also noticed that it grows the longer the computer is on without a reboot.

My questions are:
    Has anyone else noticed high memory usage of KasAVSrv.exe?

What could be causing this? Possibly a memory leak?

Thanks in advance.

Legacy Forum Name: High Memory Usage on KasAVSrv.exe,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mwolter
  • What version of KES? I know with the version prior to 2.0 (the current one) this was a big problem. I have not see this issue since we moved to 2.0 (mine is at 24Mb right now).

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • hmmm...smells like a memory leak to me...but this is the first I've heard of it.

Please log a ticket. Include the machine where this is happening (including the complete Service version.

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Mine is at 13MB memory usage, with 22,000 page faults. Using latest KES 2.x (AvgUI.exe reports AVG 8.0.233)

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • Right now it sitting at ~50mb and ~127 million page faults. We have also noticed a huge speed increase and virus detection and removal rate increase since upgrading to version 2.0.

This machine is running Windows XP with SP3, Dual Core 2.0GHz and 2gb of RAM. It always hovers around 50% physical memory usage with about 15 open program. So it shouldnt have any problem with paging due to low RAM since there is still about a gig of RAM left.

Jeff, I'll open a new case. Can you have someone look into this?

Legacy Posted By Username: mwolter
  • Sounds strange! I still have 24MB in use with 939,406 page faults. I'm running this on a Vista 64 Bit box with 4GB of RAM.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • mwolter - my XP SP3 workstation now shows KasAVSrv using 86.2MB Mem Usage, 535,648MB Peak Mem Usage and 288,482,978 page faults! I suspect you may have stumbled on to a problem. Maybe a memory leak? My PC has been running since 1/27, with 2 Full Scans having taken place during these last 2 weeks. My guess is that Full Scans are causing memory leaks... mwolter - can you confirm if any Full Scan(s) have run between the last restart and when you observe these high memory readings?

Is it possible you have Full Scans scheduled closer together - maybe every day or so? I'm set for once a week.

I looked at a Virtual PC 2007 that I have XP SP3 running on, and KasAVSrv is only using 13MB on that machine (much like I reported on 2/7). I do not have any Full Scan scheduled on this VM though...

What do you think Jeff?

• yep...like i said, smells like a memory leak. We'll need to capture the profile settings, the OS, etc. Assign this ticket to me (or send it my way) and we'll get someone on it.

Thanks for reporting it.

Jeff

• Just created ticket 169555...

• One one of our main file servers with a few hundred gig of data being moved on a daily basis it is running fine. The memory usage is 2,444K and 48,817 page faults. Totally acceptable.

avgrsx.exe is a complete different story. Currently using 69Mb and a peak of 200Mb. But 41,600,000 pagefaults. Of course this is the real engine that does all the work.

Just my 2 cents. FYI.

Legacy Posted By Username: ddenhoed
  • Lots of variables to explore: has your server run any Full Scans between the last restart and when you checked memory stats? KES Profile settings could also cause one machine to do something differently than another. Should be relatively easy for Kaseya to track down - if it were me I'd watch what happens pre/during/post Full Scans... And they can look at my profile settings and duplicate them in their tests...

ddenhoed
    One one of our main file servers with a few hundred gig of data being moved on a daily basis it is running fine. The memory usage is 2,444K and 48,817 page faults. Totally acceptable.

• Jeff - any news on this?

FYI I did change my own workstation's KES profile to scan at Default vs High priority. I also changed it to no longer scan inside archives (which dropped my Full Scan time from 7 hours down to 1).

A Full Scan ran on Mon 2/16. TaskMgr currently shows only 8,688KB (8.6MB), so things look ok at the moment. Perhaps dropping down to Default priority caused this reduction in memory usage, rather than any updates to KasAVSrv? My KasAVSrv.exe file is dated 1/31, so I assume no changes have occurred to it...

• there were some memory loading / unloading optimizations that we made to help this situation now. If you have version 77 of the service or later (available in the KES 2.1 beta as of this coming Monday).

Jeff

• I checked KasAVSrv.exe on my workstation and it shows 2.0.0.66, dated 1/31/09. So I'm guessing that means any changes on my workstation are because of profile changes I made...

If one is using KES 2.0, what would cause this service/file to get updated to .77? I gather it's not automatic?