Kaseya Community

Local install source

• Can I copy the latest install files to a local source and install from there? I have a few large sites, and do not want t install from the internet. I have not seen anything regasrding this in the documentation, so who is installing in this manner?

Carl

Legacy Forum Name: Local install source,
    Legacy Posted By Username: clomele
  • Can't speak for KES, but we do this with BUDR. If the installer is placed into the patch file source and then the installation is run, the system sees the file and installs from it. The installer is not downloaded again.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • That is exactly what I wish to do, but I need access to the install package. I just see in the troubleshooting guide to download the free version and place on a file share for troubleshooting purposes. At a large client site, I do not wat to download many instances of the install package.

Carl

• I'm not sure which files you'll need exactly, but you can try copying the whole AV folder from your Kaseya server:

C:\Kaseya\WebPages\ManagedFiles\VSAHiddenFiles\av

This folder contains a 76MB avgInstall.exe file, a couple of DLLs, and a couple of EXEs. Try copying the contents to your patch file source and then running the install.

• TAB: Patch Mgmt -> Configure "File Source" here you can configure the download source

Richard

Legacy Posted By Username: RiTa79
  • I see when you install KES to the server with the share, the install package gets copied to the share. Going forward, how can you update the package so you are not deploying and older package that will require multiple reboots after installation?

Carl

• You can use Kaseya's "distribute files" option to deal with this so that you're only updating the file in one spot (and it'll get pushed to client sites), but you're really outside of the way the installer is supposed to work at this point.

With regards to you saying that you don't want to have the installer pushed a bunch of times at a large client site, this should not happen if you've setup your patch file source properly. Setup the patch file source on a file server on the LAN, and the installer will only be pushed once. All agents will then download from that share.

• clomele
    I see when you install KES to the server with the share, the install package gets copied to the share. Going forward, how can you update the package so you are not deploying and older package that will require multiple reboots after installation?

Carl

There is a daily background task to check AVG's website for a new version of the installer. If so it will be downloaded to the ManagedFiles/VSAHiddenFiles/av/ directory on your kserver and used for any new endpoint installs. If you have configured File Source to use a LAN share then the file server will pull this down the next time an install is scheduled.

Legacy Posted By Username: dwalsh
  • That is what I wanted to hear. Thank you for the information.

• clomele
    I see when you install KES to the server with the share, the install package gets copied to the share. Going forward, how can you update the package so you are not deploying and older package that will require multiple reboots after installation?

Carl

Is this still true? Do you have to install KES on the file source machine in order for other machines to install from a specific file source? I have a few clients with file sources on machines that do not run kes.

Much appreciated.

Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian
  • GDRBrian
    Is this still true? Do you have to install KES on the file source machine in order for other machines to install from a specific file source? I have a few clients with file sources on machines that do not run kes.

Much appreciated.

The file source machine does not need KES for this to happen. Whenever you first install on one of the PCs, the file source will download the KES installer. You don't need to install KES on that file source first. It's just like any other patch, or a BUDR install.

• Unless Kaseya has fixed this, you DO need to install KES on the local file source machine. Otherwise it may fail to retrieve updates from AVG. See Kaseya KB Article # 298782. That KB article does mention an alternative to installing KES: install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package, which will install some components (.dlls?) that the AVG update program (avginetl.exe) requires. If you've gotten a file source to work properly (updating every day?), then most likely it already had the required files from some other (non KES) source. This alternate workaround will not help NT4 servers act as a KES file source, as that MS VC 2005 Redistributable is not compatible with NT...

arobar
    The file source machine does not need KES for this to happen. Whenever you first install on one of the PCs, the file source will download the KES installer. You don't need to install KES on that file source first. It's just like any other patch, or a BUDR install.

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel