Kaseya Community

Interesting posting in another forum

• AVG is looking good in this latest comparison. Its a scary world out there.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1445&tag=nl.e539

Legacy Forum Name: Interesting posting in another forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • In dealing weith people who bring computers in with possible viruses, I know that AVG finds things that McAfee, Norton, and Trend doesn't find. Not to mention that the others are memory hogs.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: justabill
  • Which AV package is best depends on which website/magazine you are reading.

As for "the others being memory" hogs ...
    SAV10 on my Vista computer is using less than 8MB of memory.
    AVG8 on my XP computer is using using 34MB of memory.

YMMV

Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • avg_mem_vista.jpg
    Hmmm....Resident Shield (from AVG8) appears to be using ~11MB on my vista box.
    I've got the firewall component enabled which takes a bit more.

(Attached is the total memory footprint)

I can't wait to ship KES 1.5 so we can all take advantage of AVG8!

Jeff

• Jeff, any projected date for the release?

Legacy Posted By Username: justabill
  • Lmhansen
    Which AV package is best depends on which website/magazine you are reading.

YMMV

Well that’s a whole lot better than AVG7/KES - we're seeing anywhere from 80mb to 150mb of AVG memory usage each of the computers we have it installed on. I don't know if anyone else is seeing similar usage but I think it's pretty horrendous. Sad

Legacy Posted By Username: dsecker
  • KES 1.5 is still under development and working on getting ready for a beta 1 this month.

• We are seeing the same memory usage in the 80mb to 130mb range, And I currently have a KB article that should help out with this. http://kb.kaseya.com/article.asp?article=285874&p=11855
    I'm about to go through it and see if it helps, I'll repost with any results I find!

Legacy Posted By Username: Scottb
  • Lmhansen
    Which AV package is best depends on which website/magazine you are reading.

YMMV

You are missing memory usage for SAV 10. You need to include all of the Intel services and the VP services as well as some that run under svchost. The memory usage for SAV 11 went down to a max of 24 MB down from 80ish mb as I recall. But 8MB is way to low for SAV 10.

hc

Legacy Posted By Username: howardc
  • Jeff I know that since you are on the dev team you are rooting for AVG and all, but Virus Bulletin released it's Sept. 2008 findings with AVG along with all the other major players.

You can read it here: http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02
    The last two columns are mislabeled. I am pretty sure those are supposed to be total percentages.

On Demand spyware/adware, Proactive detection & response times are all pretty sad. We use KES and it is doing a so-so job, but deep down we hope that Kaseya will research other alternatives at some point.

AV-Comparatives is supposed to release their next major test on the 15th I believe.

Memory usage isn't as important to us as effectiveness. Most of our clients systems have plenty of ram. Memory only comes in to play when it is wasted on a crappy AV.

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • As for the effectiveness question check out this posting from todays Handler's Diary on SANS:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=4990&rss

Short synopsis: He was doing some malware analysis on some some new spam email. Only 38.89% of the virus vendors on the market were able to detect it.

Not great odds if your relying on AV to keep machines clean. It's not going to happen.

Legacy Posted By Username: misolutions.com