Kaseya Community

How to exclude directories

• I need to exclude a directory that is located within Program Files. I added c:\program files\rsi as an excluded directory, but it doesn't seem to be working (KES keeps quarantining legitimate files that are in that directory). Do I need to put quotes around this path, because of the space in program files? Also, restore and delete fail on those files. What can I do to get them out of the quarantine?

Legacy Forum Name: How to exclude directories,
    Legacy Posted By Username: peterlandau
  • I too am having this issue. Has anyone found a good workaround for it?

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • I opened a ticket a week ago regarding KES and exclusions but haven't heard anything yet. This version of KES doesn't do wildcards as well.

Legacy Posted By Username: jsa@emrgroup.net
  • Any updates on this issue? response from Kaseya? or did you find a workaround or solution for this? Just wondering, because I use a lot of exclusions, however I didn't doubt they were working until I read your post.

Legacy Posted By Username: matcomm
  • Nothing new to report...yet. I got a response a few days ago from support that was useless (looks like the tech partially read my entire ticket) and so I basically had to start the process over.

• boudj, I wish that was the exception rather than the rule. In the last couple of years I've enjoyed a number of email exchanges that involved the phrase, "Did you actually read my original message?"

They seem to be improving somewhat on that front, but still.

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • This is not a problem in v5. Now there is an option to exclude on files that are in the quarantine.

Legacy Posted By Username: peterlandau
  • peterlandau
    This is not a problem in v5. Now there is an option to exclude on files that are in the quarantine.

Yeah?? I'm on V5 too. And yes I see it there. And yes I made sure to add them to the PUP list (for folders and files). And NO it did not work (KES kept blocking the items in the PUP list anyway). And as of now I have not received a response from Kaseya regarding this (I have a ticket that has been active all week without anyone acknowledging it).

• Folks, I have tested exclusions as they do indeed work. Here are the details;
    1. For exclusions to work the machine must be rebooted. See AVG users manual (http://download.avg.com/filedir/doc/AVG_Anti-Virus/User_manual/avg_avw_uma_en_75_11.pdf, page 60) Exclusions "manifest only after the computer restarts".
    2. When you exclude a directory, sub directories are also excluded
    3. You can check that the exclusions on are a machine in two ways; a) The avconfig.xml file in the Kaseya Agent folder and b) fire off AVG on the machine by launching avgcc.exe (c:\program files\grisoft\avg7) and looking at the properties of the Resident Shield | Excludes tab.

Oddly enough this works for the Resident Shield but during normal scheduled scans it appears to ignore excludes - at least in my testing a manual scan found the eicar test virus in a directory excluded in the resident shield while I could access the test virus w/o a problem in the excluded directory (resident scan DID pick it up if I tried to access the eicar virus in a directory not excluded)

Legacy Posted By Username: ehobbs
  • OK... so basically it doesn't work as needed (normal scans ignore the excludes). This is a problem. Like most of you all I schedule regular scans and this means that when we do the regular scan will smack the file (s) I want to leave alone.

• Yes, that is what I found in my testing. I could be wrong on this so if anyone else has any info. on this, please chime in.

Legacy Posted By Username: ehobbs