Kaseya Community

What does the KES "verify Install" button actually do under the hood?

This question is answered

We're migrating some Kaseya 5 agents to a Kaseya 6 server, by the simple expedient of changing the check-in control.

The abbreviated process is that the v5 agents check in, we upgrade the agent, and then manually do a "Verify Install" from the Security->Configure->Install/Remove page. This effectively re-links the AVG install to the new server, making it fully operational and controllable as far as we can see.

But of course that word "manually" up there is a bit of a bummer. What I'd really like to do is use the Agent Update's "After update run agent procedure..." facility to launch the KES verify install as soon as the agent updates to v6. It seems like there ought to be a pre-made procedure for it, but if so I haven't found it yet. (Feel free to point it out and laugh at me if it's already there.)

So failing that, I'd like to build a procedure that duplicates the "Verify Install" functionality. Can anyone clue me in about what all it does behind the scenes, or how I can access the function though a procedure?

Verified Answer
  • You shouldn't have to do anything with scripts. Click the Verify Install button on your templates. That way, when an agent checks in for the first time, it will run the verify automatically.

If that doesn't work, just wait until your agents have been moved over and do one mass verify. There isn't much urgency to get them relinked with Kaseya anyway.

• Hi Mazama,

You are correct, "Verify Install" does not "Install" KES, it only checks to see if KES is already installed on the machine.  I was the one who originally requested to have "Verify Install" added so if you want some background on why read on.  I had several partners who were looking to move their KServer to different hardware and didn't care about legacy data.  All they wanted to do was setup a new box and point their agents to it.  The problem is that without restoring the Database, Kaseya would't know that KES was installed on those agents and the licensing for KES would get out of sync.  The "Verify Install" button was added to reconcile licensing.  Without it the KServer would have to issue a new KES license.  We added "Verify Install" so our partners wouldn't have to deploy multiple KES licenses to the same machine and incur additional cost.

All the best,

Max

All Replies
  • The system scripts are viewable in XML format on your KServer. Or, on the Agent Procedures log of an agent, hold ALT and click the area immediately to the right of the script name you would like to view (the cursor will change to a hand).

I will advise against attempting to recreate system scripts. Instead, run the Verify Install against a template or run the verify on all of your agents at once after you migrate them.

[edited by: SMason at 11:46 AM (GMT -7) on 9-22-2011] And again from a different browser.
  • That's interesting. Now I'm going to be looking for hidden elements everywhere. :-) After a quick look at those, I heartily agree that I have no interest whatsoever in recreating them.

After running the Verify Install and looking at the agent log, it appears to launch procedure 152 "Check XML Parser", followed by  313 "KES Install Service v6", and a couple of post-install scripts (one of which is clearly conditional). I get the impression that there is a control script kicking these off, but that script does not seem to be showing up in the agent procedure log.  

So is there a way to access the script launched by the Verify Install button from a procedure? Or is it simply the system script 313 "KES Install Service v6" that's doing the work here?

• You shouldn't have to do anything with scripts. Click the Verify Install button on your templates. That way, when an agent checks in for the first time, it will run the verify automatically.

If that doesn't work, just wait until your agents have been moved over and do one mass verify. There isn't much urgency to get them relinked with Kaseya anyway.

• Oh, I see. Hmm.

I had thought "Verify Install" included "Install" functionality, but the help page seems to imply that "Verify Install" will *NOT* add AVG if it's not already present on the machine. Can you confirm "Verify Install" won't add AVG if it's not already on the machine? If that's the case, then the template approach should work great!

(I've been doing it the second way you suggest already, I'm just looking for a bit more automation to take the falliable human out of the loop.)

• Hi Mazama,

You are correct, "Verify Install" does not "Install" KES, it only checks to see if KES is already installed on the machine.  I was the one who originally requested to have "Verify Install" added so if you want some background on why read on.  I had several partners who were looking to move their KServer to different hardware and didn't care about legacy data.  All they wanted to do was setup a new box and point their agents to it.  The problem is that without restoring the Database, Kaseya would't know that KES was installed on those agents and the licensing for KES would get out of sync.  The "Verify Install" button was added to reconcile licensing.  Without it the KServer would have to issue a new KES license.  We added "Verify Install" so our partners wouldn't have to deploy multiple KES licenses to the same machine and incur additional cost.

All the best,

Max

• @Max:

That is exactly what we're doing: migrating without import of legacy data and trying to keep AVG licensing from getting out of hand. Thanks for the background, and thanks even more for requesting exactly the feature I needed. Looks like I owe you a tasty beverage of your choice.

[edited by: Mazama at 8:54 AM (GMT -7) on 9-23-2011] remove reduncancy
  • Whoops, I spoke to soon. Testing revealed a flaw in the template method.

I'm importing Kaseya v5 agents. Verify Install only works on Kaseya v6 agents. I added the Agent Update to the template, and also the Verify Install. Unfortunately the Verify Install procedure kicks off before the Agent Update's sub-scripts complete and fails. (KES Install Service v6 reports "Failed THEN in step 3" between K Agent Update success and K Agent Update Done Msg success.)

I guess I can re-arrange the order of procedures kicked off by the template to put a delay in after the K Agent Update, to give it time to report success before Verify install kicks off.

That'd be better than nothing, but it would be ideal to be able to run a script off the template that proceeds on the Verify Install only *after* the Agent Update (and its follow-on scripts) have completed.

Any other ideas?