Kaseya Community

AVG 8.5 and 9.0 REALTIME PROTECTION WORTHLESS!!!

• It would be nice if we could specify a file by name for AVG to block (ie: AV2009.EXE). McAfee included that capability and was great for preventing a rootkit that always used tdsserv.exe and tdsserv.dll to install. I know Kaseya includes file access control, but it doesn't seem like the ideal way to do this.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: BradR3724
  • droytrobb
    Control. A higher Margins. You do have higher costs when you have it inhouse though so when you start off with a new service like this it's often easier to have it running looked after by someone else till it's proven itself and that it's worth the investment (Time & Hardware).

We have been using IMHS for 2 years now, and in combination with the Sonicwall protection at the gateway we have few hassles with Malware. I think it's proven itself, now we want more bottom line out of the service now that we have the Qty.

Awesome! Well I hope it works out OK. I've been doing border protection with Untangle commercial version and with the K stuff it's a pretty robust solution. Always looking out for new solutions - and some clients don't want to spring for an Exchange server. I don't particularly want to cut my own throat with BPOS as I would rather us handle the hosting and backup.

Legacy Posted By Username: FarVision
  • Sorry for the late chime in on this but someone was asking about "predelivery filtering/scanning"

We've been using the MS service for a few years now...

http://www.microsoft.com/online/exchange-hosted-services/filtering.mspx

it works wonderfully and is very cost effective...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Or Postini, or Reflexion... Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • Don't forget Exchange Defender from Own Web Now

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • Almost forgot, one of our clients uses MX Logic (www.mxlogic.com). Though I'm not big on its interface, it does a good job at keeping the baddies out.

lol I'm not sure how we got off topic... but this has turned in to an edge filtering (aka pre-delivery filtering) kind of topic...

• I've found Kaseya's Application Blocker works well, in fact too well (it even blocks AVG or other AVAS software from deleting malware files). BUT, it currently has a bug in that it generates tons of false positive alerts when AVAS software happens to scan a machine *if* a blocked file happens to be one that the AVAS scans for by name. My hunch is that Appl Blocker intercepts the AVAS software's file search request (for a blocked filename) and generates an alert. Hopefully Kaseya will fix this so that it no longer generates alerts just because a lookup was done for a blocked filename. Once it's fixed, I'm going to populate the Appl Blocker with a list of known malware files to block on all agents.

There's even a thread in this forum with a good list of files to block, as well as a script showing how to push a centrally maintained list from your KServer to agents...

BradR3724
    It would be nice if we could specify a file by name for AVG to block (ie: AV2009.EXE). McAfee included that capability and was great for preventing a rootkit that always used tdsserv.exe and tdsserv.dll to install. I know Kaseya includes file access control, but it doesn't seem like the ideal way to do this.

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • I currently use ExchangeDefender (www.exchangedefender.com) and bundle this as part of the managed services offering.

Legacy Posted By Username: glipschitz
  • Can any of you help me with steps to upgrade to kes 9.0, Currently we are running on KES 8.5

Legacy Posted By Username: rajeevsharma
  • rajeevsharma
    Can any of you help me with steps to upgrade to kes 9.0, Currently we are running on KES 8.5

Please start your own thread

• I have already done that. can you please reply me there:

http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/94/t/9543.aspx

Legacy Posted By Username: rajeevsharma
  • rajeevsharma
    I have already done that. can you please reply me there:

http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/94/t/9543.aspx

I just did...

• FarVision
    Awesome! Well I hope it works out OK. I've been doing border protection with Untangle commercial version and with the K stuff it's a pretty robust solution. Always looking out for new solutions - and some clients don't want to spring for an Exchange server. I don't particularly want to cut my own throat with BPOS as I would rather us handle the hosting and backup.

One of the better ways to get rid of infected mail is to stop using MS-Exchange especially for the SBS users. Move over to Alt-N MDaemon and get yourself a mailserver solution that is easy to handle, administer and troubleshoot. The basic server version allready blocks 90% of spam (and viruses). We are disabling Email scanning in KES for our clients behind the MDaemon mailserver because it makes no sense making the effort. MDaemon with the anti-virus add-on SecurityPlus keeps all our clients free from infection by email.

Legacy Posted By Username: BertHaver
  • This thread is getting hopelessly off topic.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • Folks we are getting a lot of clients getting this fake Antivirus live virus and AVG is not picking it up at all.

The resident sheild definitely does not pick it up but even if I run a full scan it does not detect it - I had to run malwarebytes to get rid of it.

This is rubbish this AVG is supposed to be the bee knees.

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin