Kaseya Community

50+ Resident Shield disabled alerts

• Yikes.... This morning, we had more than 50 alerts for "Resident Shield disabled".

When we look at the KES->Security Status screen, the icon shows a Question Mark. Popup message shows "Resident Shield is currently reporting an inconsistent status codes. A reboot may fix this problem."

When we manually log on to the computers, the AVG GUI shows Resident Shield is not active.

A reboto does seem to solve the problem, but geez.... this is going to be a lot of work. Many of the machines have a user logged in. Will will need to contact them - can;t just reboot their PCs.

Also, there does not seem to be a way to filter on just these machines, so we have to sort through hundreds of machines on the Security Status screen to be able to find the 50 or so that are havign a problem.

Is anyone else seeing this today?

Legacy Forum Name: 50+ Resident Shield disabled alerts,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • We've been getting a lot of inconsistent status codes as of late. I have a ticket open for that and a few other things regarding KES. The support person I spoke with over the phone says AVG9 is suppose to resolve some of those issues.

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jasonp
  • We have also been getting that quite frequently. I've found that either a reboot or just clicking the Enable Resident Shield button on the Security Status page will get it back to normal, but I'd like to know why it started all of a sudden a few weeks ago. I also wish they had some easy ways to setup Views based on KES status like they do for patching.

Legacy Posted By Username: kcears
  • I've also been seeing a lot of machines posting that the resident shield has been disabled, and a few customers calling in concerned.

Legacy Posted By Username: rchiocchio
  • kcears
    We have also been getting that quite frequently. I've found that either a reboot or just clicking the Enable Resident Shield button on the Security Status page will get it back to normal, but I'd like to know why it started all of a sudden a few weeks ago. I also wish they had some easy ways to setup Views based on KES status like they do for patching.

Not sure if it is funny or sad, but I totally didn't even think of just clicking the Enable Resident Shield button. If it works, that would be a lot easier than dealing with the reboots of the random machines. I will try that next time.

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • I've been having this problem since the beginning of the week. Forcing the Enable Resident Shield did work for me as did a reboot, however, that was only good for a few hours to a day, then I started getting them again (same machines).

My version 9 machines have not had this problem, so I've been rolling it out. Dunno if it is just me, but version 9 appears to take a very long time to install. The in place upgrade to version 9 also doesn't work for me, I've been uninstalling 8.5 and installing 9 as two separate tasks.

Legacy Posted By Username: Bastionpoint
  • Just started for me tonight. Currently around 30 agents and rising. I have opened a support ticket.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • I have had the same problem installing version 9 over 8.5. We have about 30-40 machines that are not updateing. I placed a support call and all I got back was to read the KES 2.0. I know that in a previous thread Jeff mentioned a problem with the KES not properly being updated on the console to version 9.0 but when I checked the workstations they were still at version 8.5 and not 9.0. I have tried again today on 7 machines and same problem.

Grant

[Ticket Notes ~ticId='201733']
    Ticket ID: 201733
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Author: Jagadesh.R
    Date: 08:43:50 3-Dec-09
    Hello,

Thank you for cotacting Kaseya Support.

Please go through the below KB article for KES update issue.

http://kb.kaseya.com/article.asp?article=299504&p=11855

If the issue is persists please reply back this mail.

Regards
    Kaseya Support.

Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • Just started seeing the same thing here. Now I have a delimma. Do I update to AVG 9.0 on these machines and hope they don't get the upgrade pop up? Or do I just try to enable it for now and see if the problem is resolved?

What was the final verdict on the AVG 9.0 Upgrade pop up window?

Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian
  • I used to see the Resident Shield being disabled on a random basis, but havent seen it for several weeks now.

We have systems with AVG 8.5 and 9 and both appear nice and stable now. I havent seen any issues with pop up messages on AVG 9 installs from Kes2.1.

Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • I've still been tracking a few tickets with resident shield reporting either inconsistent results or with it (on some 8.5 machines) shutting down. AVG's response to either is to update to AVG9 and thus far the problem has gone away on those affected machines

If you see this happening outside of these parameters, please open a ticket so we can get AVG dev on the issue

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Just had this happen on a bunch of servers this morning that are still on AVG8.5. Are people still seeing this issue with AVG9?

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • I've held off on deploying AVG9, as it sounded like there are lots of issues. I wonder what the overall success rate is now that Jeff and his group have made all these fixes to AVG9?

I recently tried upgrading from AVG8.5 to AVG9 on a virtual workstation (XP SP3), but it failed to upgrade. I sent the logs to Kaseya, and their only advice was to run a "Avgremover tool", reboot, check for and delete any AVG folder remnants, then reinstall AVG9. But I can't afford to do this at all my client sites Mad

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • I havent seen the 'Resident Shield disabled' issue for a while now, so the latest fixes on AVG9 seem to have resolved that one.

Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • Version 9 have not seen too many of those problems. Version 9 just gives you a headache with different problems.

Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin