Kaseya Community

AVG 9 - released to KES when?

• Hey,

Hoping Jeff Keyes can answer this one. I see AVG have got v9 posted on their site now, and I understand it will take Kaseya a few weeks to get an update out.

Do you guys have an ETA on when this will happen?

Regards,
    Chris

Legacy Forum Name: AVG 9 - released to KES when?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • FYI, On the AVG website, it looks like only the Home Edition has been released for v9. The Business version still seems to be showing v8.5.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: KES,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • AARGH!!!

Good spotting Lloyd. Best let the home users iron out the bugs aye...

• In another forum post, Jeff wrote the following. So it seems that K is already working on support for AVG 9.

===========
    Good news is that AVG9 is now out for consumer and coming shortly for business. We have a couple of more hotfixes to prepare for it (due out this / next week) and then you should be able to install AVG9 (yes...we've been testing with it and it represents good improvements over AVG8.5).
    ===========

• Is the rollout of AVG9 going to be controllable by the MSP or is KES going to put it out there outside of our control? I really don't want to have machines rebooting in an unmanaged fashion.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • I have two machines that have 9.0 somehow. Is that rolled out from Kaseya somehow? I haven't seen any notification, but just ran across it.

Legacy Posted By Username: runnetworks
  • 9 came out earlier this week.

http://www.avg.com.au/products/avg-anti-virus-business-edition/

Do we know when it will be released to us if they have already been working on a release?

Legacy Posted By Username: droytrobb
  • Jeff Keyes has said repeatedly that Kaseya is working on KES 3.

Perhaps a show of hands here as to what people want first:

1. Functionality like being able to schedule scans and definition updates, control over other UI features
    2. AVG 9 - From the web site, it does not sound like there are earth shattering improvements
    Jeff has been very responsive to our needs within reason. Maybe some hint as to what KES 3 is going to include might help?

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • smbtechnology
    Jeff Keyes has said repeatedly that Kaseya is working on KES 3.

1. Functionality like being able to schedule scans and definition updates, control over other UI features
    2. AVG 9 - From the web site, it does not sound like there are earth shattering improvements
    Jeff has been very responsive to our needs within reason. Maybe some hint as to what KES 3 is going to include might help?

I suppose I would need to know more about what new protection capabilities are included with AVG v9 before I could give my preference.

If AVG 9 will provide significantly greater protection for my clients (meaning less remediation work for my firm), then I would be willing to wait longer for more Kaseya-AVG integration features in exchange for getting more/better protection sooner.

If howerver AVG 9 will NOT provide significantly greater protection for my clients, then I would prefer to have more Kaseya-AVG integration features sooner.

FYI, according to the AVG website, the following are designated as "new". Not sure how much this is reality, versus how much is sales hype.
    http://www.avg.com/us-en/product-avg-anti-virus-business-edition

- NEW high speed anti-virus/anti-spyware scanner - Keeps your business running smoothly and your PCs free from viruses, spyware, worms, Trojans and other threats.
    - NEW Enhanced Firewall - Prevents hackers from turning your network into botnet fodder and keeps your vita data safe.
    - NEW Superior phishing protection - Checks to make sure web pages really are what they appear to be
    - NEW Improved deployment - Simple to install and configure thanks to new cloning technology
    - NEW Rescue CD - Restores your network in the event an infection renders your systems unbootable.

• What about clients that cant use AVG 9.0 is there going to be an option to run 8.5?

Legacy Posted By Username: cullanthony
  • smbtechnology
    Jeff Keyes has said repeatedly that Kaseya is working on KES 3.

Being able to schedule and control the scans, as well as see the scan results directly in the control panel would be a huge boon. Currently we have scheduled scripts triggering the scans, and parser sets that retrieve the results and make red dots on the alarm board (I'd rather only see missed/interrupted scans and threats, which we can create a separate alert for).

The ability to manage licenses for machines that have had the client removed, or have had the agent become disassociated. Specifically, a method of recovering those licenses without resorting to a ticket.

On this note, some method of making the license expire if the agent isn't able to check in for a long time (configurable? 30days+, etc...).

This would allow us to revoke the license for monthly subscribers if they uninstall the Kaseya agent without warning (we're missing 3 licenses from this, and one from an ID that was deleted in error, which is still humming along without giving any errors, but not reporting its status).

The latest version is always a nice thing to have, but as long as the scanning engine and definitions are the latest, manageability comes next in my books.

Legacy Posted By Username: dwujcik
  • I've been a little quiet on the forums lately...we've been doing some heavy lifting on my end...lots of stuff coming

AVG9
    You can get it now by
    - Installing it manually over an 8.5 KES workstation. Everything will work today.
    - Downloading / copying AVG9 workstation installer to the KServer (named AVGINSTALL.EXE). There is a current issue that when a new installer is detected from AVG8.5, that 8.5 installer will overwrite the AVG9 installer you placed there.

I'm readying a fix (for interested parties) that flips your server to download the AVG9. It will be available next week to anyone interested. We'll push it out and have folks run AVG9 for some time in mass production prior to pushing it out as official. Let me know if you are interested.

KES 3
    Cool stuff we are working on:
    CCleaner
    Profiles as policies
    Enhanced malware detection / integration
    Totally revamped UI (hold on to your hats)
    Integrated schedules between AVG and Kaseya

Per the feature requests here

Being able to schedule and control the scans, as well as see the scan results directly in the control panel would be a huge boon. Currently we have scheduled scripts triggering the scans, and parser sets that retrieve the results and make red dots on the alarm board (I'd rather only see missed/interrupted scans and threats, which we can create a separate alert for).

I'm curious about this one - we'll have an integrated scheduler - but that means it isn't script driven. We set the schedule at the workstation and let it do its thing. I suppose what you need is some kind of alarm dashboard integration for missed scans....need to look into that one.

The ability to manage licenses for machines that have had the client removed, or have had the agent become disassociated. Specifically, a method of recovering those licenses without resorting to a ticket.

Hmmm....I'll add a work item for this one. What we are discussing doing is when you click "uninstall", we recoup the license immediately.

On this note, some method of making the license expire if the agent isn't able to check in for a long time (configurable? 30days+, etc...).

This would allow us to revoke the license for monthly subscribers if they uninstall the Kaseya agent without warning (we're missing 3 licenses from this, and one from an ID that was deleted in error, which is still humming along without giving any errors, but not reporting its status).

Another good feature idea. I'm not sure this should be "automatic", but certainly I'm planning on allowing you to filter / sort on any column...including columns / fields from the rest of VSA. You'll be able to sort on "last check-in" and then uninstall.

The latest version is always a nice thing to have, but as long as the scanning engine and definitions are the latest, manageability comes next in my books.

Profiles & Policies - I really think you guys are going to like the concept. Essentially we are working on a way to supersede the old 'copy settings' concept.

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Jeff.Keyes
    I've been a little quiet on the forums lately...we've been doing some heavy lifting on my end...lots of stuff coming

AVG9
    You can get it now by
    - Installing it manually over an 8.5 KES workstation. Everything will work today.

I tried this on one of my Windows 7 test boxes (throwing caution to the wind: an unofficially supported AVG install on an unoffically supported O/S Smile )

I installed the "paid" version as downloaded from AVG. The installation recognized and used the KASEYA license key.
    I chose not to install the integrated firewall.

It went as Jeff mentioned, the only difference was:

- Prior to this both Web Shield and Link Scanner were not installed. Afterwords, they were. This makes sense as this is a KES install option, and since it wasn't installed via KES, it didn't obey those options. No problem...

- All features were enabled:
    Antivirus
    Anti Spyware
    Anti Spam
    Link Scanner
    Anti Rootkit
    System Tools
    Email Scanner
    Identity Protection
    Web Shield
    Resident Shield

- System tray icon is now shown, where prior it wasn't (KES install option issue, same as above, no problem)

- The client shows a request to perform an optimization scan, which I did.

KES is reporting the version properly as 9.0
    I was able to perform manual update

Performing a scan as I write this.

Pretty cool, I'll have to do some more testing/playing.

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: JMF
  • Jeff.Keyes
    II'm readying a fix (for interested parties) that flips your server to download the AVG9. It will be available next week to anyone interested. We'll push it out and have folks run AVG9 for some time in mass production prior to pushing it out as official. Let me know if you are interested.

I'd be interested just as soon as that is available Jeff.

Regards,
    Chris

• We are currently trialing AVG9 for production environments. The process is that we need to place 4 dlls on your server and then your server will download AVG9 onto the server (the AVG9 exchange gets downloaded the next day, but it too will be on the server). You can then install AVG9 onto workstations.

You have the following options on trialing this out
    - Drop me an email at jeff.keyes@kaseya.com
    - Create a support ticket
    - Wait for the hotfix Smile

(This is known as Hotfix 10...our plan is to have this released prior to Thanksgiving)

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes