Kaseya Community

BUDR 3.2 - No GUI

• FYI, I just found out that BUDR 3.2 will *not* include the Acronis GUI ("Due to changes in the Acronis installer and other technical reasons"). It will be primarily the command line executable. Kaseya said that they might create their own simple gui for it after they get a feel for what functions are used.

I for one think this is a horrible idea, as we use the Acronis gui 9/10 times when interfacing with restores, etc and we see no point to reinvent the wheel.

Legacy Forum Name: BUDR 3.2 - No GUI,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • I've been beta testing the installer that's supposed to ship with BUDR 3.2 (though I could be mistaken) and it does indeed have the GUI. If that is true however, I agree, that's a terrible idea as I too use it all the time, its so much easier and more time affective.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jviggiano
  • Not sure. I requested the beta yesterday and got this response from them today. The Acronis build is 9.7-8319.

• The GUI has saved me soooooooooo much time in the past. So much quicker to just explore volumes from GUI than to actually mount them. Especially when on some servers they dont ever mount. Then what do we do?!?!?!

Legacy Posted By Username: tim@xxpert.net
  • If this is true, it is horrible. The BUDR interface sucks for anything but the very basics. What about restoring offline? Command line is ok, but why should we have to learn it if there is an Acronis GUI that does everything already?

Kaseya, don't do this.

Legacy Posted By Username: trebligb
  • I replied to my ticket about the reasons we use the gui and got this response back.

"Note:The technical reasons are on Acronis's behalf, and I cannot fully disclose them (nor do I fully know them). Kaseya would rather not reinvent the GUI, but is doing so as a service to our users.

I will include this feedback with those in charge of the product. At this point, manual backups and read-write mounts via the GUI were not planned, though verifies & read-only mounts were. Restorations via the Universal Restore CD are still going to be available.

For your uses, you may wish to only upgrade the machines which were having VSS or other problems that are solved in the updated build, and leave the majority of your machines using the 9.7-8218 build."

• How do I raise this concern as well, did you create a support ticket. I feel less functionality in an upgrade is unacceptable. We were told at the User Conference that we would be at the same level as general release as Kaseya always had to be one rev back with their other agreement. Now it seems Acronis is saying same level but no GUI.

I have to admit I was looking at StorageCraft today for a small network client and found it to be very impressive. Now with Kaseya 2 being open source it will be interesting if other venders will build snap-ins to the Kaseya 2 product... If there were to I would consider to be completely honest.

So universal restore is good, but when we have to do a quick recovery of files and/or folders then I agree the GUI is needed.

I would like to raise this concern as well, please advise how and whom you reported this lack of functionality to. Thanks

Joe Axne
    IT-Guru, LLC

Legacy Posted By Username: itgurullc
  • itgurullc
    How do I raise this concern as well, did you create a support ticket. I feel less functionality in an upgrade is unacceptable. We were told at the User Conference that we would be at the same level as general release as Kaseya always had to be one rev back with their other agreement. Now it seems Acronis is saying same level but no GUI.

I have to admit I was looking at StorageCraft today for a small network client and found it to be very impressive. Now with Kaseya 2 being open source it will be interesting if other venders will build snap-ins to the Kaseya 2 product... If there were to I would consider to be completely honest.

So universal restore is good, but when we have to do a quick recovery of files and/or folders then I agree the GUI is needed.

I would like to raise this concern as well, please advise how and whom you reported this lack of functionality to. Thanks

Joe Axne
    IT-Guru, LLC

I feel your pain. I think its unacceptable. I go the info after entering a support ticket to get the BUDR 3.2 beta (since it was supposed to be released in July...). I would enter a a support ticket over this as well as getting in contact with your Rep.

• I hope this is just a romour and they are not dropping the GUI, If they do I will cancell maitenance cut my losses and look at other product.

Legacy Posted By Username: 777sammy
  • 777sammy
    I hope this is just a romour and they are not dropping the GUI, If they do I will cancell maitenance cut my losses and look at other product.

hahaha. right on.

Yea, I got the Beta 9.7-8319 on one of our test Windows 2008 servers because I cant get the current version to install correctly on 2008 R2. And we need to start getting that server backed up somehow. But lets see how many parades I can rain on.

Beta 9.7.8319 on our test server:

1) Didnt detect the disks properly. Selected C: Drive to backup, it backed up the External drive. So had to trick it and select External Drive when scheduling and then it backed up correctly.

2) There is definately no GUI interface.

3) After I rigged it to get the backup to work successfully. I went to try to mount the backup for true test because we religiously use GUI interface now because trying to recover and mount through kaseya is a waste of time, Even if its the 1/100 times that it does mount correctly. And what do you know. Doesnt Mount. I'm logged into the server as local administrator, UAC is turned off, shared permissions and security are set for the local account i use for credentials in kaseya and even added administrator. SO if this was real life situation. How the hell do I recover a simple file? Take the drive off that server and bring it to a server that has the GUI and recover that way? Or do we all have to keep the old version on our Laptop or Mini's and go out to the customers site each time we want to recover a file and plug that drive in and pull files.

I mean come on thats non-sense. I cant be the only one that has no luck at all at mounting drives through Kaseya. If so then what am I doing wrong?

Legacy Posted By Username: tim@xxpert.net
  • So we end up paying for a product for backup that almost none of us feel is reliable and in a number of cases about 10% for us, it causes servers to lock up and in some cases have to be rebuilt.

So next they come out with an upgrade, to fix those problems, introduces new problems and they knowingly remove functionality for reasons that they won't share with us.

I'd like one thing. My Money Back.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • What I'd like to see if K take a stand and say to Acronis, enough. This is not good enough. The business clients should have all of the features as the home clients plus more. Instead it looks to me that K is going to write some kind of simple gui for the next realse that we can use? This does not sound good to me.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • I have already started looking into alternatives, waste of time and money paying maintenance for a product that has become so locked down ristrictive.

I waited verry long and patiently for this update instead i should have been trialing and testing something else,

sureley this cant be doing any justice to the Acronis name, if K dont tell us why this big change then I hope Acronis does.

Legacy Posted By Username: 777sammy