Kaseya Community

BUDR and Amazon S3 for Offsite

• Is anyone using Amazon S3 for offsite Storage of BUDR images? I am going to start looking into it and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Legacy Forum Name: BUDR and Amazon S3 for Offsite,
    Legacy Posted By Username: bill.goldin
  • We have been using the EC2 platform and Amazon S3 storage service to host our offsite BDR server and it's working great. We have created an EC2 instance of Windows Server 2003 and installed the Offsite BDR service. Our backups are being copied to an EBS Volume attached to our Server 2003 AMI, and then snap shots of the backups are being written to the S3 storage cloud. It has been very very reliable and very cost effective.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jon@pcgit.net
  • So you have to pay for the EC2, the EBS and the S3, or is the EBS and S3 buddled at 15 cents? How fast are the offsite transfers rought 3gig/hr?

• The EBS volumes are priced separately from the S3 storage, here is the link to the pricing page http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#pricing The downstream bandwidth into the Amazon Cloud is huge. I did a bandwidth test on my server and was getting 10MBps. The speed of data transmission will be determined by the upstream bandwidth at the client location. Our clients with Full T1's are uploading around 15GB max per day.

• Can you reveal any more specifics about how you're configuring backups with Kaseya and EC2+EBS+S3?

Are you running an EC2 instance for 24 hours a day, or are you only turning it on for the duration of the backups?

Have you found the need to run multiple EC2 instances when performing larger numbers of off-site backups?

Legacy Posted By Username: GEO
  • We are running our EC2 instance 24/7. It has been very reliable and stable. You really need the instance running 24/7 because you never know how much data is needing to be uploaded from clients Servers. We are currently backing up 10 Client servers to our EC2 server and haven't had any problems with load. We will be migrating 20 more servers over to our Kaseya/BUDR/Offsite solution in the next couple months so the load should grow quite a bit. I will keep everyone informed as to how it goes.

• jon@pcgit.net
    We are running our EC2 instance 24/7. It has been very reliable and stable. You really need the instance running 24/7 because you never know how much data is needing to be uploaded from clients Servers. We are currently backing up 10 Client servers to our EC2 server and haven't had any problems with load. We will be migrating 20 more servers over to our Kaseya/BUDR/Offsite solution in the next couple months so the load should grow quite a bit. I will keep everyone informed as to how it goes.

This is great to hear, Jon! I have been explaining this possibility to prospects looking at Kaseya BUDR and it is good to know we have customers actually using it.

I've been using Amazon EC2 + S3 for offsite replication for several months myself.

Legacy Posted By Username: Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com
  • jon@pcgit.net
    We have been using the EC2 platform and Amazon S3 storage service to host our offsite BDR server and it's working great. We have created an EC2 instance of Windows Server 2003 and installed the Offsite BDR service. Our backups are being copied to an EBS Volume attached to our Server 2003 AMI, and then snap shots of the backups are being written to the S3 storage cloud. It has been very very reliable and very cost effective.

I was just wondering why you are taking snapshots of you backups that are offsite? Is this to keep rentention polices. Seems like you are now taking backups of backups.

• jon@pcgit.net
    We are running our EC2 instance 24/7. It has been very reliable and stable. You really need the instance running 24/7 because you never know how much data is needing to be uploaded from clients Servers. We are currently backing up 10 Client servers to our EC2 server and haven't had any problems with load. We will be migrating 20 more servers over to our Kaseya/BUDR/Offsite solution in the next couple months so the load should grow quite a bit. I will keep everyone informed as to how it goes.

I love this idea. Have the monthly costs for this evened out a bit? Would you mind sharing with us what it's costing a month to host the offsite backups?

Legacy Posted By Username: topdogpc
  • So you do you initial seed, then its incrementals forever essentially?

Legacy Posted By Username: scootrz32
  • I thought there was a 5gb file max with Amazon. Is this not the case? If that is the case then how are you doing the Synthetic full backups with files over the 5gb limit?
    Mike

Legacy Posted By Username: Reboot
  • Reboot
    I thought there was a 5gb file max with Amazon. Is this not the case? If that is the case then how are you doing the Synthetic full backups with files over the 5gb limit?
    Mike

I've got several 10GB files now on it. If it was ever a problem, you could use the Max File Size option in BUDR to limit the size of each tib to 5GB.

Legacy Posted By Username: Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com
  • On the Amazon services, anyone getting commissions?

Has anyone worked with Evault on remote backups?

Legacy Posted By Username: shickey
  • Benjamin are you using EBS as well or have found a way to save the backup directly to S3 from the EC2 server? I can not figure out how to see me S3 bucket from the EC2 server with out using a third party app. If you are do that please share.

Mike

Legacy Posted By Username: Reboot
  • My understanding is that S3 only supports files 5Gb or smaller (someone correct me if i am wrong) so we use EBS for our offsite storage and it works wonderfully.

Legacy Posted By Username: gemada