Kaseya Community

Prevent remote machines backing up through VPN

• Hi All,

We're still struggling through our initial implementation. One issue I'm trying to work around is how to stop laptops backing up over a VPN connection to the office. i.e. staff member takes laptop home and connects to VPN to do some work, during which time BUDR starts a backup which tries to run over the VPN, slowing the laptop down and using up bandwidth and download quota.

We are configuring all clients to backup to a NAS, so one option is to implement firewall rules preventing access to the NAS through the VPN. It's a bit kludgey though and I was hoping for something simpler.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Legacy Forum Name: Prevent remote machines backing up through VPN,
    Legacy Posted By Username: bluebloodsolutions
  • I have no idea if this would work but if you run a pre-script and let it to loop until the condition is met, then would it continue to run BEFORE the backup runs.

For example, if you ran a pre-script that checks the connection gateway to see if it equals the correct location. If not, loop the script every hour or so until the condition is met.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian
  • i made a pre script to do this a long time ago, search the forums you will find it..

http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/93/t/8564.aspx

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ustekschad