Kaseya Community

Synthetic backups doing full.

• Just wondering if anyone is having the same problem. I have servers set for synthetic backups for offsite but when it comes to do the full backup it actually does the full and not the synthetic. I have servers which last month on april 6 worked great. No problems with the backups and now a month later is doing full. I have checked the job and it is set to do synthetic backups. No errors. I have 3 servers doing this. This is a pain in the ??? since I have to go onsite and reseed.

Legacy Forum Name: Synthetic backups doing full.,
    Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • Make sure you don't make any changes to compression, image password or backup directory. If you change this and even change it back to what it was, it will cause a full backup next time around.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jviggiano
  • I had the same thing happen and I don't believe that I made any material changes, but it is hard to remember now...

Legacy Posted By Username: rcspang
  • The machines on question have been working for about 6-10 months with no problems. Then last month started and again this month. Their was no changes that we did. If it works why change anything.

Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • HI,

When a full synthetic backup is scheduled, K instructs the machines to do a Full Backup AND a diff/incr backup. You can check this in 'Pending scripts'.

The Full backup stays on the local NAS/storage device, the diff/incr is being transferred to your offsite storage/NAS, and the offsite server makes a Full Backup file from all the other incr/full on the offsite location.

This means that a Full backup is never uploaded to the remote location.

Kind regards,

Hans

Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: hans.vincke
  • If you make ANY changes to the backups it will schedule a full backup instead of the proper synthetic. I had to change the IP of my offsite server and it caused full backups to run.

Legacy Posted By Username: John Salle