Kaseya Community

Is stopping SQL/Exchange before a backup reliable for you?

• Howdy,
    We were looking at starting to stop/start SQL/Exchange when doing backups. Has this worked well for everyone? Do we just setup a script to stop the desired services for say 5-10 minutes, and then start them back up?
    Thanks!

Legacy Forum Name: Is stopping SQL/Exchange before a backup reliable for you?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Coldfirex
    Howdy,
    We were looking at starting to stop/start SQL/Exchange when doing backups. Has this worked well for everyone? Do we just setup a script to stop the desired services for say 5-10 minutes, and then start them back up?
    Thanks!

Works great... but don't just stop it for x amount of time

Do a script that will stop the services, then another to start them back up... (I prefer a reboot).

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • I don't understand why people are still doing this. Microsoft have included VSS in their products for 7 years now which means you shouldn't have to stop any of these services to back up servers correctly.

Andrew

Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au
  • VSS I trust. Acronis trying to use VSS (or more specifically their own snapshot technology) is what is not always reliable.
    How do others schedule the start/stop of the services with the scheduling of the backups?

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • We have a stop services script and a start services script, just a simple execute shell command "net stop microsoft exchange information store", etc... in the correct order that the services stop without any prompts/dependencies

configure a pre/post script for the backup job, pre script stops services, post script starts services again

also have a monitor set that watches for "trueimagecmd.exe" process and executes the start services script - when trueimagecmd.exe runs it means the snapshot creation process has stopped and backup has started, meaning services can be started up again.

the post backup script that also starts the services is just a fail-safe incase there are any issues with the trueimagecmd.exe process monitor

using the pre-backup script to stop services, and a monitor set that starts them again when backup begins (trueimagecmd.exe process gets run) means our services are only stopped for around 10 minutes or so

Legacy Posted By Username: AltairSystems
  • Coldfirex
    VSS I trust. Acronis trying to use VSS (or more specifically their own snapshot technology) is what is not always reliable.
    How do others schedule the start/stop of the services with the scheduling of the backups?

Sorry - just saw the forum this was posted in... Red Faced

Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au