Kaseya Community

Can BUDR backup data stored on NAS device?

• I was wondering can BUDR backup data that is stored on a NAS device? We use BUDR on our workstations and servers and I know that it requires that the Kaseya agent be running on it. So I wasn’t sure if we had for example a simple Western Digital MyBook Network Storage device that we store data on if BUDR could backup that data? If so how would I do that since there is no agent running on it?

Legacy Forum Name: Can BUDR backup data stored on NAS device?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: dapopa9
  • I've got one going to a LaCie device which works alright as long as no one kicks the power out on it... for my image location I've got it set up as

\\\

There's been some discussion as to what NAS device works best, and as expected results vary...

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but K just published KB Article # 312020

Here is a copy & paste
    ==================================
    Question

I want to backup Kaseya Agent installed machines to a NAS device that runs an embedded OS that cannot run Kaseya Agent version software. How is this accomplished with credentials in mind?

Answer

Simply do this:

1) NAS Device - Set a local admin credential here.

2) Local OS of the agent machines - Create a local admin credential here that matches the set credential for the NAS Device.

3) Agent Set Credential (Agent > Configure Agents > Set Credential) - Set the credential here to match the created local admin credential that is set on the local OS of the machine (which subsequently matches the NAS Device admin credential).

Additional Information

Note: If the NAS Device can be bound into a Windows AD Domain environment, an AD Domain-based credential set will work with the OS & Kaseya Agent Set Credential as well.

Note: If needed, make sure this set credential has proper access to other Kaseya-related & OS-related credential items.

Applies To

BUDR - Backup
    Non-Kaseya Agent compatible embedded OS NAS Devices
    Kaseya Agents
    ==================================

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • Ok think I might have asked the question wrong...so let me retry this.

I need to backup a NAS device that has company data stored on it. How can I do that?

**I do NOT need to backup TO a NAS device! I can already do that. Sorry for the confusion.

• Oh...

If a user is logged in you could map the drive and use the folder backup to get the data.

• I mapped the drive and scheduled a folder backup but it fails with error: "Backup failed - No files to backup. - Path not found " However there are files there in that path and the agent does have proper credentials to access them.

I'm thinking that BUDR can not backup mapped drives?

• dapopa9
    I mapped the drive and scheduled a folder backup but it fails with error: "Backup failed - No files to backup. - Path not found " However there are files there in that path and the agent does have proper credentials to access them.

I'm thinking that BUDR can not backup mapped drives?

Was there a user logged in? If so I'm afraid you're right. If not, try with a user logged in

• Yeah I tried it with the user logged in.

• I think what you'd have to do is setup local/offsite replication - replicate the entire contents of the NAS that you want to have backed up... then do a folder or volume backup of the replica (i.e. the "offsite" side).

Local/Offsite does work rather nicely over a LAN, so the main disadvantage of this is that it kinda makes it seem silly to have the NAS, if you're going to be replicating a whole copy of what's on it onto something else...

But, if it's a really *nice* NAS, with mirroring, blahblahblah, and you're just replicating it off to a cheap 2.0TB USB drive somewhere, maybe it makes sense.

One other thing; local/offsite gets a little touchy when you have too many files, or with files that are too big, so depending on your data this might not work well at all!

Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew Bartels
  • Or maybe try it with full UNC and not a mapped drive letter.

Legacy Posted By Username: FarVision
  • Foler backup WILL backup a UNC path. We are currently doing that with a NAS.

Volume backup won't work.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • you can perfectly backup a NAS device using the folder backup option.

in the 'folder backup' specify the UNC path of the NAS device and with the 'schedule folders' you will be able to backup by schedule.

Legacy Posted By Username: tjibbe@nexusict.nl
  • I do folder backups from a NAS drive all the time
    \\ipaddress\sharename

If the NAS Drive is not part of the domain just match a local NAS user to the user running the backup ( set credential the old fashioned way ) Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: iigy
  • What if the computer is a domain controller? Obviously you cannot set a local user account. I attempted to create a domain user with the same credentials as the NAS but that did not work.

Legacy Posted By Username: chipscc
  • I configured the NAS thru folder backup and it worked successfully; however, I noticed that in order to restore a file, you will have to restore the entire folder backup which isn't very helpful when you have over a TB worth of data. Anybody found a better way to restore individual files?