Kaseya Community

Opinions Please, Kaseya Backup...

• Hi Guys,

Currently we are using a combination of Symantec Backup Exec, Symantec System Recovery & Thinking Safe Online Backup however now we are starting to use Kaseya more and more, I am thinking about moving where possible to Kaseya Backup.

How reliable have you guys found it?

I presume it intergrates very nicely with Kaseya in general?

How easy to use it is for the more novice engineers?

Are there any common issues or bugs which cause you trouble?

Finally are there any features which you think it is sorely missing?

Thanks

Stuart Hamilton.

Legacy Forum Name: Opinions Please, Kaseya Backup...,
    Legacy Posted By Username: stu_u2k
  • Its been good to us. We rarely go to tape for anything. BackupExec (most of the symantec products in my opinion) require a lot of time to keep running and fail constantly. The imaging with Acronis is pretty solid. We use Acronis to a local device and then offsite with MozyPro or Intronis their critical data.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: swilson
  • We're using the Ahsay backup primarily, and using the Kaseya backup where we need bare-metal restore or have trouble with Ahsay.

It's working quite well, but it's got it's quirks. Let's see, the missing feature list would go something like this:
    Bandwidth reporting! Without using the network access driver.
    Quotas.
    Direct to off-site server (the current model of create a local server and replicate is a pain).
    Outlook (and family) support, rather than just the .pst files (Ahsay doesn't do this either).
    Multiple replication folders per local server, to simplify the expansion of a local server's duties, or to directly emulate direct to offsite behavior (this does create a real-time backup behavior, which is a good thing, though it sucks down bandwidth).
    Compression of replicated data, to save bandwidth and (optionally) server space (a compressed folder would serve as a hack for the storage part of this).

We sell our services to many small businesses, and setting up Kaseya as the backup software is a huge pain, big enough that it's only a last resort to us. However, it has worked exceptionally well where it is used.

Legacy Posted By Username: dwujcik
  • Acronis is great backup and it is very much integrated to Kaseya.

This saves time as almost every management is through Kaseya and reporting can be awesome if setup correctly calling scripts where needed.

We even had a report out for the backups not completed for x days by having a script triggered with the backup completion and the NAS not online by setting a common name to all NAS we had to different on board clients (eg: datadrive) and scheduling the procedure to ping the device. In case the device is offline, we had the CW ticket auto-created for the Level1 engineers.

In a nutshell, you can play around with it and make it better choice over other backups.

Legacy Posted By Username: mnagra
  • We use it on every server of every managed service contract we sell (unless we are using BDR from Zenith.) It works well and allows imaging. This is the key. We want imaging (which also allows file by file) backup so that in a failure situation, we can re-image the server and get them back up as soon as possible.

There are a gazillion ways to do backup but if it doesn't involve an image backup, I don't want it. Kaseya's offsite replication works a lot better now in the latest version. I often use what I call onsite-offsite where I replicate to a drive on the LAN and this drive can be carried offsite. (I have posted about it in more detail in the past in this forum.)

For me, quick and easy is the ticket for making money in Managed Services. If you have to spend a lot of time on it, you lose money.

Legacy Posted By Username: rcspang
  • rcspang
    We want imaging (which also allows file by file) backup so that in a failure situation, we can re-image the server and get them back up as soon as possible.

Thanks for the responses all, very helpful! Smile

Sorry when you say File by File backup do you mean this is incremental as such?

As I simply cannot see how this imaging is supposed to work if not on some of our clients slower lines?! I am guessing it is doing a Bit-Level backup of the Image?

Sorry for appearing as a noob on the above, truth be told I am asking this information on behalf of our Account Manager who is investigating the options, I know very little about it so far.

Legacy Posted By Username: stu_u2k
  • [QUOTE=stu_u2k;57604]Hi Guys,

Currently we are using a combination of Symantec Backup Exec, Symantec System Recovery & Thinking Safe Online Backup however now we are starting to use Kaseya more and more, I am thinking about moving where possible to Kaseya Backup.

How reliable have you guys found it?

I presume it intergrates very nicely with Kaseya in general?

How easy to use it is for the more novice engineers?

Are there any common issues or bugs which cause you trouble?

Finally are there any features which you think it is sorely missing?

Thanks

Stuart Hamilton.[/QUOTE]

We've been using it since purchasing Kaseya. I would echo many of the comments here. It's great for local backup, but the offsite component could be a whole lot better. If offsite is what's important, I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Legacy Posted By Username: topdogpc
  • I Agee acronis is a good product. The offsite can be better. Sometimes the offsite is more work than it is worth.

Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • My opinion on "Kaseya's Backup"
    -> Acronis - good product. Especially like Universal Restore.

-> Kaseya's version of Acronis (9.7) - Not good. Acronis has been on V10.x for a year (or more) now and Kaseya has not kept up. In fact, Universal Restore did not work too well until V10 came out, and then we had to beg for the V10 iso to be made available.

-> What's missing (besides that latest version) - What about Acronis for Exchange or SQL? It would sure be nice to be able to properly backup these applications!

-> K support - What happens if you have a server go down and you need support because your restore isn't working right? You can get K on the phone (sometimes), but how fast can you get Acronis involved? You can't get Acronis involved, only Kaseya can. And there is no SLA regarding this. In the past it could take over a day (or more) to get the right kind of emergency support for this product (support seems to be changing, but I have not seen this issue properly addressed yet).

So in a nutshell, Acronis is a really good imaging product. However, K does not have the latest version (or options), and support is verry suspect!

Finally, I currently have 70 Server and 350 (approx) workstation licenses. So I do like what I see, and I do use it. However, I cannot tell you it is a complete solution for your BUDR needs. In fact, right now I'd tell you it is part of your solution, with the potential to become a bigger part of it if K ever upgrades it , offers the additional versions of it, and improves emergency support for it.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • boudj
    My opinion on "Kaseya's Backup"
    -> Acronis - good product. Especially like Universal Restore.

-> Kaseya's version of Acronis (9.7) - Not good. Acronis has been on V10.x for a year (or more) now and Kaseya has not kept up. In fact, Universal Restore did not work too well until V10 came out, and then we had to beg for the V10 iso to be made available.

-> What's missing (besides that latest version) - What about Acronis for Exchange or SQL? It would sure be nice to be able to properly backup these applications!

-> K support - What happens if you have a server go down and you need support because your restore isn't working right? You can get K on the phone (sometimes), but how fast can you get Acronis involved? You can't get Acronis involved, only Kaseya can. And there is no SLA regarding this. In the past it could take over a day (or more) to get the right kind of emergency support for this product (support seems to be changing, but I have not seen this issue properly addressed yet).

So in a nutshell, Acronis is a really good imaging product. However, K does not have the latest version (or options), and support is verry suspect!

Finally, I currently have 70 Server and 350 (approx) workstation licenses. So I do like what I see, and I do use it. However, I cannot tell you it is a complete solution for your BUDR needs. In fact, right now I'd tell you it is part of your solution, with the potential to become a bigger part of it if K ever upgrades it , offers the additional versions of it, and improves emergency support for it.

As ususal I agree with what this guy has said... The way we operate though is a bit different, due to the limitations of BU-DR on server OS's we do not use it there. However for workstations it's great, it takes some scripting to work with machines that run SQL or a DB of any sort, but it's managable.

Thankfully I've never had to call upon support for an isue with a restore.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Have to agree with boudj. We use Acronis True Image & Disk Director alot. Only ever had 1 problem.

But, the Kaseya versions are another story. We have not had much faith in the Kaseya BUDR and dare not put it on a server to date. We simply do not depend on it.

We use Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 every where (hospitals, manufacturing, law firms, etc). Now we use TB drives as well with Be. Never a problem and IT WORKS.

We also use Seagates I365 remote backup as well.

Hoping the the BUDR in K2 is improved...we'll see.

Legacy Posted By Username: shickey