Kaseya Community

Offsite Best Practices

• We have a NAS at a datacenter for our Offsites backups, and right now we have 16 servers offsiting. And the way they bill for bandwidth use at datacenter is 95th percentile, so when all our offsites are offsiting at the same exact time at full bandwidth we are hitting 35mb/sec bandwidth usage. Which is going to get expensive, so we've throttled the servers to 1024 kBytes/sec. And I know that the offsite server is always talking to local servers because of check in time, I wonder how much bandwidth usage that is using. SO just trying to see what else some of you guys are doing to kind of limit and spread out bandwidth usage.

Legacy Forum Name: Offsite Best Practices,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tim@xxpert.net
  • I think you are right that throttling the cap might be the only way to avoid over charges on a 95th percentile plan.

Where my server is located I only have a bandwidth cap to deal. I have not hit the bandwidth transfer cap on my offsite server eithier. Though if my bandwidth cap became an issue I would look in to an unlimited bandwidth package which some data centers offer and some do not. (ie $200 per month for an unlimited 100 MB internet connection for the server) I am just going off my old figures for the pricing and a package like that might be more or less.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Chris T
  • Who offered $200/month for unlimitted? How much do they charge for half-rack, etc?

Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • Tim, what did you find out after a couple of months of the offsite backups? What did you do about the bandwidth?

Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • We do offsite for all of our BUDR clients and we end up pushing on average between 60-90 Mbit/s at any given time, though we have our own datacenter so its not much of an issue.

Legacy Posted By Username: jviggiano
  • It would be nice if Kaseya let you set the throttle on the receiving server (the offsite server) instead of the sending servers. You could set it at your cap and never have to worry.

Legacy Posted By Username: gemada