Kaseya Community

Monitoring Windows 7 and Server 2008 Backups

• Anyone know what logs to look for so you can monitor backups with windows 7 and server 2008. I have ntbackup monitoring ok for the older OS. But i cant figure out how to monitor the new OS.

thanks in advance.

Legacy Forum Name: Monitoring Windows 7 and Server 2008 Backups,
    Legacy Posted By Username: daniel5455
  • daniel5455
    Anyone know what logs to look for so you can monitor backups with windows 7 and server 2008. I have ntbackup monitoring ok for the older OS. But i cant figure out how to monitor the new OS.

thanks in advance.

There's a separate event log for this - Windows-Backups IIRC. You need to run the Update Lists by Scan function on the Monitor tab on one Windows 7 and one Windows 2008 machine to see this.

Andrew

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au
  • I ran the update lists by scan but now where do i go to view the logs.

thanks

• daniel5455
    I ran the update lists by scan but now where do i go to view the logs.

thanks

You need to configure Agent tab > Event Log Settings to get the logs in the first place if you want to view them.

Andrew

• [QUOTE=andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au;53623]You need to configure Agent tab > Event Log Settings to get the logs in the first place if you want to view them.

Andrew[/QUOTE]

I have a customer that has no servers but windows 7 pro clients and i have an external usb backup device connected to one of the w7 clients. I ran the update lists then went to the event log settings but i only see Microsoft-Windows-Backup is that the same as Windows-Backups IIRC?

• daniel5455
    I have a customer that has no servers but windows 7 pro clients and i have an external usb backup device connected to one of the w7 clients. I ran the update lists then went to the event log settings but i only see Microsoft-Windows-Backup is that the same as Windows-Backups IIRC?

Yep.

Andrew

• I have come across the solution in working with Kaseya support. For some reason, Kaseya does not currently import the Microsoft-Windows-Backup log correctly (that is, it doesn't pull up the Operational sub-folder). In order to monitor the Windows backup, you need to:

1) Import the event log types in Kaseya by going to the Monitor -> Update Lists by Scan module.

2) After the update lists by scan has completed, go to the Agent -> Event Log Settings and include Microsoft-Windows-Backup in the event log types that you want to have Kaseya look for.

3) Go to the Monitor -> Event Log Alerts module and create a new event set with the source filter as "Microsoft-Windows-Backup" and whichever event ID that you want to monitor (we use 14 to monitor for a lack of a successful backup), and then save your event set.

4) Still in Monitor -> Event Log Alerts set up your monitoring on the machine you want to monitor and be sure to select the correct event severity level (info, warning, error, etc.) and Microsoft-Windows-Backup as the event log type at the top. Apply the monitoring with the settings you want (e.g. for a lack of an event for 36 hours and ignore additional alarms for 24 hours).

To summarize, you have to make sure that the event log type is Microsoft-Windows-Backup and that the event source is also Microsoft-Windows-Backup.

Note: I will be copying this post to the four other topics that I've seen on this forum that don't have the solution posted already, in order that others will come to the solution sooner than they would otherwise.