Kaseya Community

Don't try to generate synthetic fulls offsite

• Title pretty much says it all. After having multiple tickets on this open for more than a year, we're still getting pretty much nowhere in getting a synthetic full to be generated correctly on an offsite server. We get random error messages or "out of disk space" messages...the latter of course due to the replication engine NOT deleting old backup sets that weren't on the onsite image location any more.

I'm giving up on this crap. What are people using to, preferably, create a local VMWare image on a scheduled basis? I can script the replication of data FAR more intelligently using rsync than having to rely on Acronis PMS.

Kaseya NEVER should have released this "feature".

Legacy Forum Name: Don't try to generate synthetic fulls offsite,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mastermindpro
  • We had problems with 9.5 but when we upgraded to 9.7 all the synthetic backup problems disappeared

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • That hasn't been our story, unfortunately.

• Having exact same problems here.
    Logged a ticket with Kaseya, have had no resolution to our Synthetic backup errors.

Neither "Direct Network Access" nor "Local Copy First" settings work, both result in an error.

Using BUDR 3.1 (Acronis 9.7)

Errors we get are:

Local Copy First
    Volume Synthetic Full - Warning
    This machine does not have enough local hard drive space to copy backups sets for a synthetic full backup. As such, synthetic full backups will be performed over the network, which may decrease reliability.

Direct Network Access
    Warning
    Could not delete the following backup sets as they are needed to complete synthetic full backups on the offsite server

Legacy Posted By Username: AltairSystems
  • How many sets do you keep for the failed system. We get the first synthetic error but the replication completes no problem. We typically have 3or more sets before deletion depending on tome between full backup.

Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • We keep two sets. Why would we need to keep more? That certainly isn't advertised anywhere.

• we are just at the point of abandoning sythetics altogether as they fail all the time and then you end up with 5 and 6 folder sets and then when you delete them thinking ok I will start a fresh - no its says but I need them to make up the sets (no you don't you stupid feature)

It causes many hours of pain and frustration.

Acronis / kaseya take it away and give it a service.

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin