Kaseya Community

How long do your backups take?

• How long do your backups take?
    We get quite large variations in performance.
    Machines that report 3 days to complete a full backup, machines that complete their backup in just a couple of hours.
    Network connections of 1 Gig. Backing up to identical hardware. Yet, some run fine, others run amazingly slow, to the point BUDR almost becomes an unusable product.
    Anyone else seeing similar things?

Jason.

Legacy Forum Name: How long do your backups take?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jdavis
  • We have only seen this on USB drives. What size of full backup is being done so we can compare sizes to something we have?

What backup device are you backing to?

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • Well, for example, one server which runs happily, with 100Gb used space on it, takes around 35 - 45 mins to do a full backup.
    A server with 356Gb used space, is reporting that its going to take 25 hours to complete a full backup.
    A server with 612Gb used space, is reporting its going to take 60 hrs to take a full backup.
    We are backing up all to identical hardware - a small pc, used as a backup staging device. Big storage HDD, and then duplicates to USB during the day.
    All network cards are connected to 1Gb switches, and are reporting to be running at that speed.

So, I'm curious, what sort of backup times others are getting - with similar sized full backups.

I'm using normal compression.

Legacy Posted By Username: jdavis
  • Using High compression will decrease the size of the backups and will not make a significant difference to the time taken. However moving to Maximum compression will dramatically increase the time and wont make a significant saving over High. So point 1 go for High compression.

You say that its all on a 1GB network. Are the cards and ports set to autodetect? If they are then force them to 1GB, rather than leaving them at auto. In our experience this is one of the biggest factors in slow networks and makes a huge difference. Our internal network was all set to Autodetect on Cards and Ports - tests showed that we were actually achieving around 12MB/s rather than the 1GB that we achieved once we set the speeds manually.

Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • PeterS
    ... tests showed that we were actually achieving around 12MB/s rather than the 1GB that we achieved once we set the speeds manually.

You have a 1GB/s network? Hot dang...how much did that run you? Wink

I believe you mean a 1Gb/s network. Yes, in some cases moving to fixed connection speeds makes a difference. It depends on the NIC and the switches in use.

Legacy Posted By Username: mastermindpro
  • I'm having a wide variety of performance ranges. Right now, on a brand new network we just installed, totally new hardware all the way around, I'm pulling my hair out getting 4 HOURS (!!!) for a 20Gb workstation backup (plus an additional 4 hours for the verify) going from a brand new OptiPlex 960, 3.33Ghz Core2, Gigabit Ethernet, storing the target data on a PowerEdge T710 server with an eSATA connection to the actual drive.

The server backs up and verifies 20Gb on the same drive in about 8 minutes total. Yet ALL of these workstations take 8 hours to the same platters (backing up one at a time of course--not flooding the network all at once). Running "standard" compression.

Network performance is a non-issue--I can copy a 1Gb file from a workstation to the server in under 30 seconds. Just BU-DR is unusably slow.

This is really starting to get on my nerves. I pay a lot of money each month for this product, and it seems like I spend all my time troubleshooting backup issues.

Legacy Posted By Username: DNeuwir
  • I have a MAJOR issue with this, too, but haven't figured out what kind of financial recourse I have. Let's face it, the product does NOT work as advertised, yet all it seems we can do is stop paying for it. I don't believe we can get our money back, so that leaves us high and dry having spent thousands (if not tens of thousands) of dollars on a product that we 1) can't use now and 2) never really worked right.

That seems like the ingredients for a class action lawsuit, but I'm no lawyer.

• jdavis
    How long do your backups take?
    We get quite large variations in performance.
    Machines that report 3 days to complete a full backup, machines that complete their backup in just a couple of hours.
    Network connections of 1 Gig. Backing up to identical hardware. Yet, some run fine, others run amazingly slow, to the point BUDR almost becomes an unusable product.
    Anyone else seeing similar things?

Jason.

I'm not sure what the hell happened between Kaseya 5.1 and Kaseya 6 and BUDR 3.0 and BUDR 3.1, but SOMETHING happened. The system is broke. For at least a couple months I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my backups were either taking so long to complete or flat out failing. I thought it was just me, but clearly it is not and Kaseya knows there is a problem.

Jason, for my two file servers backup times are as follows:
    -- 500 GB --> 17 hours
    -- 1 TB --> 3.5 days (and I get the added bonus of having files on that server being inaccessible during the backup as well as having the server lock up)

Other servers, such as:
    -- my DC's (which is all they do)....about 5 hours
    -- Exchange server (for about 250 users)....22 hours

Legacy Posted By Username: Steve Wilkins
  • One of ours 360GB takes 9 hours 36 minutes to complete. This is on a 10/100MB network with a 4 year old Proliant G5 and a Dlink DNS-323 nas.

and 110GB server takes about 5 hours to backup. This is with the verification turned off.

Grant

Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • Some of our times -

30 GB to NAS on GB lan - 1 hr 10 min, 45 min to verify.

70 GB to direct USB drive - 4 hrs.

95 GB to internal RD1000 drive - 45 min.

110 GB to direct USB drive - 3 hrs

185 GB to internal RD1000 - 1 hr 30 min.

212 GB to direct USB drive - 3 hrs 45 min, plus 2 hrs 15 min to verify.

249 GB to direct USB drive - 5 hrs

262 GB over GB lan to USB drive attached to a workstation - 12 hours

Legacy Posted By Username: benny@geeksaknockin.com
  • Today, I did a little over 320 GB on a server to an attached USB HDD that took 9 hours and some change. To be honest, I was surprised it worked at all.

Legacy Posted By Username: conundrum
  • My question would be how long restores take compared to the backing up of the image. Would you say they take about the same length of time as it takes to create the backup?

Legacy Posted By Username: conundrum
  • maybe you should take a look at the performance when the backup runs. I had an old proliant g4 with a Xeon 3.0ghz which did a full backup of 190gb in 15 ours. when I upgraded the server with a second CPU the backup time was less than 7 ours. So there is a big difference in backup time when there is more performance.

Also, if running backup and anti-virus the performance is really needed (when real time scan is on)

Legacy Posted By Username: tjibbe@nexusict.nl
  • Interesting. I've never seen any of my backup runs be CPU limited, but I don't install any AV software on servers, either.

• I wouldnt mind so much on how long the backups took, as long as the estimate was just somewhat close to actual time that was left on the backups. That ticks me off so much especially when Im running a backup on the fly its like I cant just sit here watching the screen for hours and hours waiting while it is either stuck at 0% or 95% and who knows when its actually going to finish.

But back to topic, yea I'm not too happy with the inconsistant backup times either, some servers with smaller hard drives taking longer than ones with bigger, im not gonna get too in depth with actual numbers I see enough posted on this thread but we have seen big decrease in time when local hard drives using E-Sata instead of USB and Firewire 800. On a server we just used to test it out on because we migrated a server to a new physical machine and had to kill exchange services so we didnt lose any email in the process. So we used a SATA to E-Sata PCI Bracket thing that we bought for $8, Can get at microcenter or something heres what it looks like:

http://www.cooldrives.com/essaii3gbexp.html

And then we used that to connect to an E-sata hard drive and the speed was doubled easily. For 390GB backup it took about 5:30 hours with USB to 2:30 hours with E-Sata. So if you have an extra SATA port available this might not be a bad investment.

Legacy Posted By Username: tim@xxpert.net