Kaseya Community

Massive incrementals on an Exchange server

• I have an Exchange server that I'm backing up with BUDR in an incremental fashion. The incrementals range in size from 10GB to 20GB, with most of them falling right in the middle. I backup several other Exchange servers with similar mail usage profiles whose differentials don't even approach that size near the end of the backup set.

On this particular server, I've enabled VSS for the backup runs. It doesn't seem to me that whether VSS is enabled or not should make any difference to the backup size. It sure seems to be the case, though.

Why, then, does a VSS incremental backup generate a MUCH larger dataset? It makes me think the non-VSS backup isn't actually backing everything up. That would be silent but deadly.Eek

Legacy Forum Name: Massive incrementals on an Exchange server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mastermindpro
  • Are you shutting down your exchange information store before running the backup?

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • I did prior to using VSS, but I don't now.

• What do your transaction logs look like? Are you running an NTBackup or anything to truncate them?

Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian
  • I know where you're going with the question, but I think it's irrelevant. VSS or not shouldn't have any impact on backup size, whether I'm doing anything with the Exchange tlogs or not. Besides, only 10MB worth of tlogs are open at a time by default anyway.

On this particular machine, I have circular logging enabled. Before you go flaming me for that, I heard from the guy that wrote the Exchange transaction log writing algorithm that said they can only do log replay successfully about 50% of the time at best. Exchange ain't SQL in that regard.